Jethro must go

LOL at chalking up a defensive lineman wanting to play for an SEC school as an "idiotic reason."

If you're a beast on the DL, you can be a beast in any conference.

And if he wants to play for a NC contender? If he wants to play at 8pm on ABC as opposed to noon on ESPN3? I'm about to the point where if people can't figure out why a kid would want to play for an SEC team I'm going to stop trying to explain it to them. Lost souls.

Advertisement
Valentine is not going to qualify. So don't think he will be the savior for this class
At DT.

For the rest of the thread, people need to remember this post. This kid is obviously a grade casualty. We are still recruiting the heck out of this kid but I doubt he is coming here. There is just too much crap already surrounding this kids recruitment.

Also, the SEC argument is spot on, it is hard to compete against those schools when the CBS and ESPN of the world can barely breath because they are BLOWING this conference in every possible way on TV all the **** time! Between that and the fact that these schools can offer some of the easiest classes in the **** world to these kids its no wonder they go there. Academically it is probably equivalent to their current high school situation, someone else doing the work for them of the **** classes are wayyy easy!

Well I'm not saying he is or he isn't, however, he could've simply talked to Clark on the phone a couple times and 247 Sports would still put his name as a recruiter.

Reason I ask is...

Many people put blame on Franklin for us not being able to bring in top DT's but they don't understand that the coaches recruit by region. (not by position)

I'm not sure if Franklin is responsible for Clark or not but I can almost guarantee that he's not responsible for all our DT recruiting woes.

The only Miami coach I've EVER seen recruit in Broward is D'Onofrio.

Look last year UM was te first to offer Tampa Area stars DE Jordan Sheritt ( earl moores teamate) and DE Joey Ivey ( off the charts strength) whom Jethro directly recruited and both committed to UF. Early in the year Jethro was releaved of Tampa Area recruiting and they gave it to Brennan Carroll but the damage was done already. The writting is on the wall for Jethro which is why he snuck iff to interview for OU job a few months back, without Al knowing supposedly. I think AG jst wanted to get through the camp season then fire Jethro and replace him with somene like a Kevin Patrick.

Go Canes

So they relieved Jethro of the Tampa area and gave him South Florida? (a more important area)

Coaches recruit by region but they don't recruit players alone. It's usually two coaches or even three going after one recruit. Chad Thomas has stated he's talked to Barrow, Coley, Franklin, and Hurlie. It's not a smart move to be recruiting a player and never have them talk to their position coach. I wouldn't be shocked if Dorito (broward is his recruiting region) & Jethro (position coach) were recruiting Clark. That's probably what happened. Valentine also stated he is getting recruited by Brown (region) & Franklin (position coach). Lammons said Dorito mainly and Paul Williams. Lane gets recruited by 4 different coaches also, but Barrow is his main recruiter. The coaches take lead & secondary roles while recruiting the players to build relationships. Why would a DL man from Tampa only want to build a relationship with Larry Scott a TE coach? Position coaches definitely play a big role in recruiting..........Their position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Well needless to say but I'll say it anyway. This season is make or break for a lot of people on the staff. Mainly defensively. Defense should have have 25-30 sacks. 15-20 picks. 6-10 FF. Or its time to move on.

The failure of recruiting DTs cant just be placed on Jethro's head.

Why would these highly ranked DTs want to play for a team that hasnt won more than 9 games in 10 years?

Our football program is irrelevant right now and it has been for 10 years.

We cant compete with the prestige of the SEC or their gameday atmospheres.

The only way Miami competes is by winning.

Golden has done a good job overall in recruiting but he has to win if he's to stop the cherrypicking that is going on in S FL right now by the SEC and FSU.

Jethro and Dorito were the two beasts that were selling our program to a season ticket holder in Clark. We lost to UF & we were given a head start, there's other way around that. It's not that ****** end of the world tho. We win games things will go our way point blank. I'm questionable about jethros ability to recruit and develop players. He has bounced around the football world w/o making a heavy impact at any stop. We've been excellent recruiting due to the circumstances at most of the positions outside of DL. However, The common fans perspective is "If we can be succesful recruiting players at other positions, why can't we recruit DL." I don't think Jethro or Dorito are right for the job but I can see why recruits would go elsewhere. We have to win games consistently

Why would these highly ranked DTs want to play for a team that hasnt won more than 9 games in 10 years?

Golden has done a good job overall in recruiting but he has to win if he's to stop the cherrypicking that is going on in S FL right now by the SEC and FSU.

This would be a cogent argument but for the fact that it's not applying to any of the other positions. We have recruited multiple elite kids at basically every single position, even difficult ones like QB, except for NT/DT.

Advertisement

100% Agree. Recruits and their families need to be sold on their future position coach. I can only really recall one player being actually excited about Franklin and that was LOVON HOOKS. He rest just seem to be respectful in interviews.

College coaches usually fall into one of two categories (sometimes both): a) Great Recruiter b) Great Teacher of technique. A guy like Trooper Taylor gets jobs because of his ability to reel in talented players (regardless of whether he's drity or not, recruits seem to legitimately like him!). Kehoe would be an example of 'b'. His resume speaks for itself. He's coached virtual unknowns into pro-bowlers and has championships to prove his way works. Ed Orgeron would be an example of having both the ability to recruit and teach great technique.

IMO, Jethro doesn't fit either of these types of coaches. Guys like Chikillo are still trying the same bull-rush that didnt work his freshman year. The only player we could say that has progressed is Olson Pierre and I'm not sure that just isnt a result of the added weight and his work in the weight room. We've already seen what Jethro accomplishes on the recruiting trail...

Also, Paranos brought up something about Jethro interviewing for the same position at OU. If this is true, he needs to be shown the door.

I dont think Bain is a big miss. Bryant is a bum. Bostwick and Clark.... mehhh.... perhaps. But! If we can land T.V. and a couple of guys, mainly jucos, we will be on very good shape.

That's a huge if considering the failure that has been our DT recruiting.

Clark should have been the most likely of any of the DTs to be ours. His parents are ******* season ticket holders for Christ's sake.

This is pathetic. The hyper-reactionists here must be the worst people to watch Canes games with on the planet.

4 years of fail is an adequate sample size.

This is the part of the argument that I'm not sold on. All things being equal it's probably true but these have been 4 very strange years, so the sample may not be adequate after all. Also, while the Canes have missed badly on DT's those misses are magnified because DT is such a difficult position to fill, and the SoFla talent pool is rich with skill but not so much with size. Would anybody argue that Kieth Bryant and K. Clark are better prospects than Sony and Cook? Probably not, but losing Sony and Cook would hurt less because the talent pool available to UM at RB is so deep.

Advertisement
umm..ya i think its bout time....the jethro experiment comes to an end after this season....

hes a cali dude...maybe just doesnt fit with the southern, east coast targets...but he isnt on any cali area guys either...

Dude better hope to **** he can coach em up....because i wanted Kevin Patrick over him any **** way.

Agree with all this, Patrick would be a major upgrade.

Amen

Advertisement
LOL at chalking up a defensive lineman wanting to play for an SEC school as an "idiotic reason."

If you're a beast on the DL, you can be a beast in any conference.

And if he wants to play for a NC contender? If he wants to play at 8pm on ABC as opposed to noon on ESPN3? I'm about to the point where if people can't figure out why a kid would want to play for an SEC team I'm going to stop trying to explain it to them. Lost souls.

I read where posters say kids dont come to Miami because they are afraid to compete only to see them end up at a school in the SEC or one with a deeper roster than ours across the board.

I am starting to think some kids go to non-SEC schools because they are a bit intimidated at what they think is facing them in the SEC. That is the big boy league right now and it won't be changing anytime in the near future.

No 1 DT Andrew Brown selects Virginia. Nice get for them, why can´t we have any five-star? Frustrating!

Don't personally know if Jethro can recruit or coach the position. Likely no one else on this board is qualified, either. Do know that he's coached on respectable staffs - even a return stint at one, I believe - and AG brought him to Miami. So for the time being will defer to the head coach. Golden doesn't strike me as someone who plays around or suffers fools, so if Franklin isn't up to the job he'll be the first to know.
Secondly, Miami has gotten and will get defensive ends. The issue is DTs. In case you haven't figured it, you need DTs to win and win big. Look no further than the SECs recent dominance. Here's the rub, quality DTs - not some fat, slower than **** kid - are a rare breed. You probably have an easier time finding top quarterbacks - see a trio lining up at the Miami's door - than you do athletic big men with an attitude and a motor. A lot of these cats are lured to the SEC because of the recent track record and NFL draft success. Another issue reducing what is already limited pool is DTs tend not to be academic over-achievers and are thus a risk for admission. That's also why you see a fair name coming out of the JUCO ranks each year, but again you often see the top players heading to the SEC or programs like K-State with lower admission standards that feed off JUCOs.
As stated elsewhere in multiple posts, the best way to enhance ones position with DTs is to make some noice on the field and make Miami a destination school again. That should hopefull start to happen this fall.

cant recruit dl? even though we wont count chick because he is legacy. they still got grimble who was a 4 or 5 star and AQM who is as good as any DE last year. They flipped Ivery on signing day last year. We were playing fresh and true soph along with upper classman like porter and green who are always injured. Fortson left early, vernon left early, Ojomo didnt get another year (how i will never know). Look at the situation they were handed.

Advertisement
Back