Jermaine Grace

He will play more than alot of "prototype" LB recruits out there.

Spence had to be "the guy" immediately. Grace doesn't have that pressure on him with the guys we have already here.

And I'm sure Grace is either working his *** off right now or thinking/dreaming about how hard he's going to work tomorrow. Can't wait til he gets on campus.

Advertisement
I'm thinking he'll be in the 2-deep at WLB the moment he steps on campus behind DP.

I don't think there's a chance of him redshirting. I'm just hoping he's working out hard and is 220+ when he gets on campus or very close to it.

He is almost the exact size Jon Beason was coming out of high school. Beason was 6'1 200-210 and was actually almost moved to defensive back. Beason bulked up to almost 240 by the time he was done at Miami. Grace and Beason are very similar players IMO

Advertisement
Difference between Grace and Spence is Spence was asked to come in and do EVERYTHING. Grace will be add where we can get great value from him without overloading him with information. No chance he redshirts in my opinion. They want 5 to 6 man rotation with guys that can make plays. I think he might be able to secure the 5th or 6th spot after the 3rd or 4th game.

Difference between Grace and Spence is Spence was asked to come in and do EVERYTHING. Grace will be add where we can get great value from him without overloading him with information. No chance he redshirts in my opinion. They want 5 to 6 man rotation with guys that can make plays. I think he might be able to secure the 5th or 6th spot after the 3rd or 4th game.

Great points, and he could be an immediate impact on ST's. Kid is going to play.

I can see him being 2nd string behind Perryman at WLB.... i'm sure he's trying to make sure he is as close to 220 as possible before the season starts.

Advertisement
Grace played at 195 as a Jr., and 208 as a Sr. Kid has also been timed in the mid 4.4s in the 40 amd will be the best coverage LB on the roster the day he steps on campus.

I thought he played closer to 210 as a senior. If all he has been doing is lifting and eating, he will be PLENTY big enough when he gets here.

I would say he looked 180 when we first were recruiting him so the young man has been busting his ***.

I saw him this weekend (college trunk party in Carol City), I'd say he's about 210-215 lbs right now

Grace played at 195 as a Jr., and 208 as a Sr. Kid has also been timed in the mid 4.4s in the 40 amd will be the best coverage LB on the roster the day he steps on campus.

I thought he played closer to 210 as a senior. If all he has been doing is lifting and eating, he will be PLENTY big enough when he gets here.

I would say he looked 180 when we first were recruiting him so the young man has been busting his ***.

I saw him this weekend (college trunk party in Carol City), I'd say he's about 210-215 lbs right now

Thanks. Always a pain in the *** trying to get legit height/weights on these guys.

With Bond, McCord, and Fig at Sam the weakest depth of the linebackers is at Will. I wouldn't bet against Grace being the best of Cornileus and Armbrister by the end of his freshman year.

But If he's not second string will and/or in nickel packages by fall I'd look to redshirt if no significant injuries go down. Last thing I want is to have the kid play special teams exclusively and burn a shirt. That's Randy ****.

This gives the most accurate run-down of reality concerning Grace...

Our fans simply throw names out there without realizing that all of our LB’s aren’t competing for the same position. The Will LB position is for mobile/agile guys to cover the slot, RB’s out of the backfield. Which is why former Safety’s are typically transferred to the Will position. Grace is a perfect fit for the Will position, and is actually more physical than Sean Spence was in taking on blocks, which is a plus...

When the dust settles, Grace's competition is Figs, Ambrister, Cornelius, and maybe Kirby; if Denzel is eventually moved over to the Middle. I think Kirby being in the Middle during camp, is for training purposes, post Denzel…but I digress

Regular downs:

DE –Chikillo/Holliet
DT –Porter/King&Moore
DT –Pierre/Robinson
DE –Hamilton/Kamala
SLB –Denzel/Bond
MLB –Kirby/Blue
WLB –Figs/Ambrister&Grace

Passing downs:

DE – Bond
DT - Robinson/Chickillo
DT – Pierre/Kamala? (cant think of his name right now)
DE - Holliet/McCord
SLB – Denzel
MLB – Kirby/Blue
WLB – Figs/Grace

Let’s keep in mind that Figs is still a Freshman, so I don’t think we want him on the strong side (@ SAM), until he gains more experience. Cornelius is out of the picture… Ambrister is a tough guy, but doesn’t have the finer details of playing LB yet. Grace and Ambrister will split time, like Crawford and Howard did last year.

Lets go Canes!

Advertisement
Golden may not be the best judge of character but it says something that we can lose three linebackers and still have this kind of depth...kudos...

Grace was the best player in that HS all star game on NFL network str8 beast. He killed that Hawaiian kid who was like 270 and got flagged for it and they made him sit most of the game, and it was a BS call. This kid is more College read then the traitor up north.

Advertisement
I'm not so sure. I'm quite sure that this guy will play if he can play. A lot of our "depth" is borne out of the fact that D'Onofrio seems to feel that it's necessary to play virtually everybody on the roster. I'm not sure that guys like Cornelius and Armbrister and Fentress constitute any legitimate depth, but they all played quite a bit last year on the D'Onofrio plan.

I'm pretty sure that "linebackers" Bond and McCord (especially McCord) are primarily going to be pass rushers and Figueroa has essentially the same experience level as this kid. So if he can play, they'll find a spot for him. We really have one good linebacker (Perryman) who gets hurt a fair amount. Gaines is experienced and OK, Kirby is inexperienced and might be decent, Figueroa is a total question mark, Blue ditto, and then we have a bunch of JAGs.

Golden may not be the best judge of character but it says something that we can lose three linebackers and still have this kind of depth...kudos...

Reasonable point. But under a previous administration we might not even have had enough Jags available if we lost 3 lbs...

The difference between them as freshmen is the style of defense. Spence looked great early on because his job basically consisted of being the late cross on a criss-cross LB blitz. In the current defense, Grace would need a bit more bulk to play on early downs.

Advertisement
Back