Jeremiah Payton

Advertisement
In that class, we went to Central Florida (by way of California) for Hightower and Georgia for Ezzard.

I won't second guess Pope and Wiggins, because they were South Florida kids (both of which were takes in any year), but this blends into the discussion with D$'s thread on the recruiting board about going to "small towns" for players...Hightower and Ezzard aren't small town kids by any means, but why are we going to Atlanta and California for wide receivers? Sure, you can find players anywhere, but why? We basically took an Atwell type of WR a year prior in Mike Harley (I mention this for those that will eventually say Atwell was too small, etc).

And its not like Atwell was some diamond in the rough, either. Dude was a staple at one of the biggest schools in the county...we took a similar player in Roscoe Parrish, who had a similar makeup (QB in HS, etc)...so how do we miss so badly on Tutu Atwell...we shouldn't miss on these players, IMO, and I don't think its always revisionist to say so.

Even as fans...would anyone have criticized Miami taking local QB to WR convert Tutu Atwell over Marquez Ezzard?
Blame our WR coach at the time and our scheme! I think if we had lashlee who loves speed. He would be a hurricane

In that class, we went to Central Florida (by way of California) for Hightower and Georgia for Ezzard.

I won't second guess Pope and Wiggins, because they were South Florida kids (both of which were takes in any year), but this blends into the discussion with D$'s thread on the recruiting board about going to "small towns" for players...Hightower and Ezzard aren't small town kids by any means, but why are we going to Atlanta and California for wide receivers? Sure, you can find players anywhere, but why? We basically took an Atwell type of WR a year prior in Mike Harley (I mention this for those that will eventually say Atwell was too small, etc).

And its not like Atwell was some diamond in the rough, either. Dude was a staple at one of the biggest schools in the county...we took a similar player in Roscoe Parrish, who had a similar makeup (QB in HS, etc)...so how do we miss so badly on Tutu Atwell...we shouldn't miss on these players, IMO, and I don't think its always revisionist to say so.

Even as fans...would anyone have criticized Miami taking local QB to WR convert Tutu Atwell over Marquez Ezzard?

We didn't "go" anywhere for UM legacy Hightower, I'll leave it at that.

Ezzard and Hightower were both 4-star recruits. Yeah, that's what Miami fans would tolerate, we spurn blue-chip guys for 3-stars. Look, it's easy to look back on this after the fact, but we took guys we thought were better prospects. Projections don't always come true.

Yes, EVERYONE would have criticized taking Atwell over Ezzard. Everyone.

Yes

We didn't "go" anywhere for UM legacy Hightower, I'll leave it at that.

Ezzard and Hightower were both 4-star recruits. Yeah, that's what Miami fans would tolerate, we spurn blue-chip guys for 3-stars. Look, it's easy to look back on this after the fact, but we took guys we thought were better prospects. Projections don't always come true.

Yes, EVERYONE would have criticized taking Atwell over Ezzard. Everyone.

Thats nonsense.

2014 thread -- https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/miami-northwesterns-next-big-thing.77400/#post-1943107
Me in 2016 on Tutu when he was still committed to FAU.
FAU has themselves a good one if Tutu sticks.

Immediate special teams guy but can really develop into a nice slot type very early. Just needs to add some token weight while maintaining that speed.
--

Get him in a college weight room, he'll grow a lil bit.

Tommy Shuler was like 5'6" 5'7" 160 170ish by the end of senior year (Ht/Wt inflated like crazy on the sites) and he turned out just fine and he grew.

@DMoney had him as the #2 QB in the area and outlined his athleticism and said he'd be a good slot in college.
@Liberty City El had a few posts saying he'd be a good college player.

Like I said in my previous post, this isn't some revisionist ****, plenty of people liked him and he has been a known South Florida commodity since he was in 4th grade. Yeah man, if you would have hated on that take, you're a clown. Ezzard and Hightower didn't even last two seasons and Atwell is considered one of the best WRs in the nation and the fact he should be a Hurricane isn't revisionist, please see above. Plenty of people thought he was good.

Advertisement
Harley had 1 bad game and ppl want to bench him and never have him come on the field again?
Broooo what?!?! lol

People have favorites and are biased which I don’t get. A lot of the ones bashing Harley and Wiggins are sticking up for Pope. Even though Wiggins and Harley have been better for their careers up to this point.

Fact is none of the wr’s have played well this year , the tes and rb’s are carrying the offensive load. I’ve been hard on all of them, this is Miami and I expect a lot better....from all of them.

Gotta make this play

MIAMI_HEADER.jpg

The one in cover two that bounced off his chest was worse than this.

People have favorites and are biased which I don’t get. A lot of the ones bashing Harley and Wiggins are sticking up for Pope. Even though Wiggins and Harley have been better for their careers up to this point.

Fact is none of the wr’s have played well this year , the tes and rb’s are carrying the offensive load. I’ve been hard on all of them, this is Miami and I expect a lot better....from all of them.
Agreed - it’s still early but Harley and pope have been disappointing. Hopefully Payton can step up as our go-to WR, the rest of them seem like 2nd options at best.

He started out slow but was balling at the end of camp. He’s been my break out guy at wr.

I’ve been hard on Pope but I could see a big week coming for him. I called Brevin and Mallory last week.

if pope breaks that tackle and streaks we might be seeing a different player all of a sudden

he needs confidence, or reps one.

Advertisement

Butch, who was probably our greatest evaluator, was going to pass on Parrish. It wasn't until after he left and Coker became head coach, that Coker extended an offer. Also, we knew about Atwell and recruited him. But those close to recruiting, have stated he wanted to come in as a QB so we passed.

Need to get Payton and Redding on the field at the same time. They look like grown men, Pope can be much better from the slot but it makes me cringe how much he avoids contact, he’s never looked fluid to me or maybe he’s just always going 3/4 speed/effort.
Need to get Payton and Redding on the field at the same time.

^^
This. 100% They fight for the ball and are more physical

Butch, who was probably our greatest evaluator, was going to pass on Parrish. It wasn't until after he left and Coker became head coach, that Coker extended an offer. Also, we knew about Atwell and recruited him. But those close to recruiting, have stated he wanted to come in as a QB so we passed.
I coached some of his teammates at Northwestern, and they didn't really recruit him...but yeah, they knew of him...who didn't?

Sun Sentinal article from a few days ago:

“They thought they had to pursue him as a quarterback,” Edwards told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "Tutu knew all the time that he was an athlete, and he knew what he was going to be playing in college. Miami probably thought, ‘We have to get him as a quarterback, so we’re not going to take him. He’s not what we want in a quarterback.’ But Tutu knew all along that he was probably going to be playing the position that he’s playing now.
“Louisville knew that, and Tutu knew that, so that’s why they recruited him.”

Edwards knows Miami coaches, who were led by Mark Richt in recruiting the 2018 class, talked to Atwell from time to time when they swung by Northwestern. Did they ever ask if he would play receiver?
“I can’t say they did or didn’t, but I just know that they [approached] him like that,” Edwards said.

So, idk, they didn't really recruit him, per his coach. Didn't even know he was open to playing WR when all of these lesser schools and jabronis on this very site knew he would. idk

Advertisement
if pope breaks that tackle and streaks we might be seeing a different player all of a sudden

he needs confidence, or reps one.

I’ve been preaching this since last year. You can see glimpses of it but then he trips , drops a pass or avoids contact. Imo it looks like he’s always thinking instead of just playing. If you’re thinking you can’t be your best.

If he ever has a huge breakout game I could see it changing everything. I think he built some momentum Saturday and being back home sets him up to breakout. Confidence is a ****.

I’ve been preaching this since last year. You can see glimpses of it but then he trips , drops a pass or avoids contact. Imo it looks like he’s always thinking instead of just playing. If you’re thinking you can’t be your best.

If he ever has a huge breakout game I could see it changing everything. I think he built some momentum Saturday and being back home sets him up to breakout. Confidence is a ****.

The wide receiver version of Graig Cooper.

Advertisement
I coached some of his teammates at Northwestern, and they didn't really recruit him...but yeah, they knew of him...who didn't?

Sun Sentinal article from a few days ago:

So, idk, they didn't really recruit him, per his coach. Didn't even know he was open to playing WR when all of these lesser schools and jabronis on this very site knew he would. idk
They definitely didn’t recruit him, a lot of folks were upset about it too.

My hopes for this offense:
- A lot less of Pope and Harley
- Perfect amount of Jordan (not what we saw vs. UAB...the Louisville game. I think he had 8 or 9 targets?)
- More Mallory, Payton, and one of the freshmen WR's
- A little more Wiggins if he can prove to be consistent

I saw Atwell play QB at Northwestern, and he was definitely fast and shifty. Atwell was not a QB prospect, but had all the skills for an elite playmaker. I liked the Donk as a WR Coach, but he missed on Atwell, who has been the leading WR in the ACC last season and this season. Atwell was definitely a take over Ezzard. Not sure what happened.

Advertisement
Back