Jeremiah Payton

Thats nonsense.

2014 thread -- https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/miami-northwesterns-next-big-thing.77400/#post-1943107
Me in 2016 on Tutu when he was still committed to FAU.

@DMoney had him as the #2 QB in the area and outlined his athleticism and said he'd be a good slot in college.
@Liberty City El had a few posts saying he'd be a good college player.

Like I said in my previous post, this isn't some revisionist ****, plenty of people liked him and he has been a known South Florida commodity since he was in 4th grade. Yeah man, if you would have hated on that take, you're a clown. Ezzard and Hightower didn't even last two seasons and Atwell is considered one of the best WRs in the nation and the fact he should be a Hurricane isn't revisionist, please see above. Plenty of people thought he was good.

I coached some of his teammates at Northwestern, and they didn't really recruit him...but yeah, they knew of him...who didn't?

Sun Sentinal article from a few days ago:

So, idk, they didn't really recruit him, per his coach. Didn't even know he was open to playing WR when all of these lesser schools and jabronis on this very site knew he would. idk
I just went through the archives of threads when Atwell was a recruit to refresh my memory of our recruitment of him (and stumbled across one about Lamar Jackson as well) and it's like a who's who list of comments that we should offer him as an athlete. It's sad if our staff wasn't aware that he (a local no less) was open to a position change. No one should know So Fla better than the UM staff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just went through the archives of threads when Atwell was a recruit to refresh my memory of our recruitment of him (and stumbled across one about Lamar Jackson as well) and it's like a who's who list of comments that we should offer him as an athlete. It's sad if our staff wasn't aware that (a local no less) was open to a position change. No one should know So Fla better than the UM staff.
You are preaching to the choir.

Miami has had such an archaic mindset for so long now, they've missed the boat on the offensive revolution up until this year where they finally modernized.

Yo...

Imagine an offense like this with f'n LAMAR JACKSON running it?

Nah, instead...in 2015, we're trotting out James Coley's offense which would have been some straight mid back in 1998 when that offense was du jour.

Advertisement
Butch, who was probably our greatest evaluator, was going to pass on Parrish. It wasn't until after he left and Coker became head coach, that Coker extended an offer. Also, we knew about Atwell and recruited him. But those close to recruiting, have stated he wanted to come in as a QB so we passed.
No probably about Butch being our best Evaluator...as far as Parrish...not a Huge overlook on his part....as far as Coker...he started the downward trend on evaluating and recruiting...

No probably about Butch being our best Evaluator...as far as Parrish...not a Huge overlook on his part....as far as Coker...he started the downward trend on evaluating and recruiting...
I was thinking some may argue JJ might be up there. I've become accustomed to not making absolute comments around here unless I can back them up.

I agree about Coker though.

I was thinking some may argue JJ might be up there. I've become accustomed to not making absolute comments around here unless I can back them up.

I agree about Coker though.
Butch put more 1st rounders into the NFL (25 from 95-2003)...and more HOFers into Canton than any other UM coach...and I love JJ...and it was Butch who was JJs guy to close on kids he wanted from 84-88...

Advertisement
Harley is bad, and I said it was clear he was bad last year, but half yall just looked at the fact he led us in catches or whatever and though he was hella good. Problem is none of our WRs are really stepping up. Wiggins has been MIA, even though he plays more snaps than any other WR. Dude has had zero impact on the games for us, and deserves to start losing PT over it. Pope has dropped **** and just made a lot of mistakes. I guess he's our top guy out of lack of options. So I'm really looking forward to seeing more Payton and Redding. Also I don't wanna see Marshall Few on the field again tbh. Him and Ragone getting PT makes me (slightly irrationally) angry, idc.

What this all really means is Lashlee needs to work the ball to both our TEs even more than he has been. It seems like when we stop involving the TEs, the offense enters lulls. Brevin and Mallory are the two guys that are gong to make this passing attack work. Their success will trickle down to the WRs and make this entire offense elite. Just gotta keep feeding them, and then have a WR or two step up when defenses commit fully to stopping them. I think theres at least 1 or 2 guys at WR who will step up into that role by the end of the season, and Payton would be my guess.

Also I think Pope needs to be taken off KR and PR. Put one of the RBs at KR for sure, and someone more likely not to make negative plays and no hesitation at PR.

Need to get Payton and Redding on the field at the same time. They look like grown men, Pope can be much better from the slot but it makes me cringe how much he avoids contact, he’s never looked fluid to me or maybe he’s just always going 3/4 speed/effort.
Why would you want Pope looking for contact? That's the last thing he should be doing.

Advertisement
We didn't "go" anywhere for UM legacy Hightower, I'll leave it at that.

Ezzard and Hightower were both 4-star recruits. Yeah, that's what Miami fans would tolerate, we spurn blue-chip guys for 3-stars. Look, it's easy to look back on this after the fact, but we took guys we thought were better prospects. Projections don't always come true.

Yes, EVERYONE would have criticized taking Atwell over Ezzard. Everyone.
Nope.

People have favorites and are biased which I don’t get. A lot of the ones bashing Harley and Wiggins are sticking up for Pope. Even though Wiggins and Harley have been better for their careers up to this point.

Fact is none of the wr’s have played well this year , the tes and rb’s are carrying the offensive load. I’ve been hard on all of them, this is Miami and I expect a lot better....from all of them.
That I can agree with they all need to step up.
I think ppl are being a little hard on Harley though. He didn't play well yes but ppl are acting like they never want him to touch the field again which is a little overboard.

Advertisement
Thats nonsense.

2014 thread -- https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/miami-northwesterns-next-big-thing.77400/#post-1943107
Me in 2016 on Tutu when he was still committed to FAU.

@DMoney had him as the #2 QB in the area and outlined his athleticism and said he'd be a good slot in college.
@Liberty City El had a few posts saying he'd be a good college player.

Like I said in my previous post, this isn't some revisionist ****, plenty of people liked him and he has been a known South Florida commodity since he was in 4th grade. Yeah man, if you would have hated on that take, you're a clown. Ezzard and Hightower didn't even last two seasons and Atwell is considered one of the best WRs in the nation and the fact he should be a Hurricane isn't revisionist, please see above. Plenty of people thought he was good.

You are delusional. Absolutely insane.

He was committed to FAU. And you think that if Miami offered him and took his commit, that our fanbase wouldn't have erupted in "offer list" outrage? You are a nut.

I don't care if LCE and DMoney had nice things to say about a SoFla kid. That's what they do. They scout everyone in SoFla.

So you are such a desperate heel-digger that you are going to try to bootstrap DMoney's "good slot in college" and LCE's "good college player" into a "Miami should take an FAU commit over a couple of 4-star WRs"?

It's funny that you are calling me a clown. That's just you projecting your own character.

But, hey, keep revising history with today's knowledge on Ezzard and Hightower.

"Good" and "worthy of a Miami offer" are not the same things.

But, hey, keep clowning around and searching for old posts that say vaguely positive things in order to support your nonsensical argument that not only should he have gotten a UM offer, but that Miami fans wouldn't have freaked the fvck out over Miami taking an FAU position-change commit over 4-star WR recruits.

I'm done with this nonsense. You've proven my point.

I saw Atwell play QB at Northwestern, and he was definitely fast and shifty. Atwell was not a QB prospect, but had all the skills for an elite playmaker. I liked the Donk as a WR Coach, but he missed on Atwell, who has been the leading WR in the ACC last season and this season. Atwell was definitely a take over Ezzard. Not sure what happened.

And I'm sure you posted this same sentiment years ago.

What a joke. Lots of guys trying to act like great talent evaluators years after the fact. Hilarious.

You should "definitely" be hired by UM to assist with our recruiting. Definitely.

For the record, Marquez Ezzard (after sitting out last year due to transfer rules) is now the second-leading WR at GaTech, by yardage, and while playing with a true freshman QB. We have no idea how good Ezzard may prove to be, as he has only played in 5 games over 3 seasons thus far. But, sure, because Atwell got early PT at Louisville, he was "definitely" a take over Ezzard.

The internetz last forever. If Ezzard plays well at GaTech, we can always bump this thread to verify whether Atwell is still "definitely" a take over Ezzard.

Advertisement
Back