Jeff Thomas deep

Video of Jarren missing Jeff in end zone. Hopefully by Va. Tech, these missed throws will be corrected.

Look I get he misses so throws but JT isn’t open here at all. The DB leaves once he see the ball in the air.
295F4777-A0D7-4106-872C-C64758BC560A.jpeg

Advertisement
I think it is time to bring in Perry for short stints during the game... Jarren should have had a similar role last year.

Thanks to Richt, he would rather have had a barely serviceable, 5th year senior take up all the snaps even when the season was done

Advertisement
Ball is not in the air yet. He jumps to cover after the play action and Jarren is clearly staring down Brevin. If he stares down Brevin and then scans back since he has time, easy TD.

and while he does that what do you think this defender is doing? You think he just left the field or his trying to bait the QB. Thomas is bracketed one this play
1C0AA727-DBAF-49BF-8030-B169F47E5E94.jpeg

Spot on. Route was not open at all. Do people on here understand football? Watch the whole play and not just how how he looks after the ball is thrown.
I understand plenty of football. Actually, he stares down Brevin in the flat and then stares down Hightower who is the intended receiver. He takes one extra second to look at Jeff, he has him.

Advertisement
and while he does that what do you think this defender is doing? You think he just left the field or his trying to bait the QB. Thomas is bracketed one this playView attachment 97685
If you slow down the video, he bites outside when Jeff dips his right shoulder a bit as 2 defenders were on the outside. That guy would never had the time to cover 10 yards of distance he was off.

Like the plenty (heavy sarcasm) of deep balls he completed last year? Oh wait... his longest pass completed in terms of yards traveled was 29 yards to Brevin that ended in a 41 yard td catch

Film Review: NKosi Perry vs FIU

Lol you keep trying to undermine the fact that NKosi Perry throws a way better ball than Jarren making up **** about last year... the link above clearly shows plays that Jarren hasn’t been close to making this year.

- 25 yard TD throw to Lawrence Cager while running away from pressure. (3rd TD of the game)

- 20+ yard throw to Lawrence Cager allowing him to catch and run for a TD.

- 20+ yard throw to Mike Harley allowing him to make a huge run after the catch

- And a 15+ yard Touchdown throw to Brevin Jordan in a perfect spot where only he could get it while a defender was draped over him.

Show me where Jarren has made any of these throws all season??

If you slow down the video, he bites outside when Jeff dips his right shoulder a bit as 2 defenders were on the outside. That guy would never had the time to cover 10 yards of distance he was off.

at the :06-:07 second mark #1 has Jeff's route covered. Once Jarren begins his wind up (between 7-8 second mark) he takes off to the corner where the ball was thrown.

Advertisement
Film Review: NKosi Perry vs FIU

Lol you keep trying to undermine the fact that NKosi Perry throws a way better ball than Jarren making up **** about last year... the link above clearly shows plays that Jarren hasn’t been close to making this year.

- 25 yard TD throw to Lawrence Cager while running away from pressure. (3rd TD of the game)

- 20+ yard throw to Lawrence Cager allowing him to catch and run for a TD.

- 20+ yard throw to Mike Harley allowing him to make a huge run after the catch

- And a 15+ yard Touchdown throw to Brevin Jordan in a perfect spot where only he could get it while a defender was draped over him.

Show me where Jarren has made any of these throws all season??
A few Good throws no doubt, but where was that the rest of the season In games he played? Unc? Didn’t see anything special there, uva/pitt/Wisconsin? Nothing at all. FSU game? Couple of good td throws but beyond that the accuracy was terrible behind a better oline

Last edited:
He does not have quick feet in his drops and movements in the pocket.
You hit the nail on the head. It all starts with footwork at the QB position. Any decent QB, QB coach, QB guru, QB whatever coaches the position or plays the position from the feet up. I mean literally name me the great QBs with bad feet? And it has nothing to do with being fast either. Phillip Rivers isn't beating your grandma, but watch that dude ballerina around in the pocket and have his feet ALWAYS in position to pull the trigger when he needs too.

Again i still think JW gives us the best chance to win, but i would like to see him speed up his dropback and footwork process. That alone right there would help the OL.

I asked you in the other thread but I’ll ask you here. The CB that’s on Osborn at the snap drops all the way off, so I’m pretty sure if you show the entire field, you’ll see him outside of JT down the field. Since JT is running a corner route, that would essentially put him running in the direction of that defender. Correct me if I’m wrong

That’s why he said give him the option to keep it more vertical. Once he reads the safety has comprised himself.

Advertisement
That’s why he said give him the option to keep it more vertical. Once he reads the safety has comprised himself.

I get that but the video was posted as if Jarren missed another wide open receiver. Given the route and how it’s being covered thats not the case. That’s all I’m saying.

Sorry. Get technical in print and try to be more simple on video. A smash concept is a very common staple in every single offense down to even the high school level.

The slot receiver runs a corner route
The outside runs an out (z-out or a stop)

Sorry I get more technical in print and usually try to talk plain in videos. It is a habit. But this is what is called a "Smash concept" There is variants where the outside receiver does a stop or simple outs as well. On the play listed in the video the two receivers run a "smash" and Mallory essentially drags across the field in the middle of these two routes
View attachment 97680
Taking it a bit further for others interested in the point of the concept, the smash concept is partly intended to play with the rules DBs use in zone coverage. It's meant to create pressure through high-low options. Even in HS, as an example, a Cornerback playing Cover 3 usually has a "rule" of matching up in man at about 6-8 yards. If the combination route (Smash) is run correctly, the QB reads whether the Cornerback sits down on the underneath route or drops into the corner route behind him. In that same example, a Safety playing Cover 3 often has a **** of a difficult time getting over to a well-run Corner route.

A few Good throws no doubt, but where was that the rest of the season In games he played? Unc? Didn’t see anything special there, uva/pitt/Wisconsin? Nothing at all. FSU game? Couple of good td throws but beyond that the accuracy was terrible behind a better oline

Against FSU NKosi saw more pressure than Jarren did against Florida... Brian Burns around the edge and Marvin Austin up the middle but he still did enough to come back and win the game.

As far his overall play last season he was under completely different circumstances that were supposedly resolved under this new staff.... Predictable offense, players saying that defenses knew the plays before the snap. the coaching staff never got fully behind Nkosi as the starting qb over Malik. And Jon Richt was the qb Coach.

Advertisement
Back