Jeff Thomas deep

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Need to find ways to get him the ball downfield when he is open. This one has a little bit of caveat. Jeff is running the smash corner which is the overlay to an out underneath (KJ) Mallory essentially drags across the field in the middle of the two twin receivers making this a flood with a high, middle and low read. Jeff wouldn't essentially have an option to stay vertical in most college offenses, but it's hard to see this on film and think they need to plan for this contingency in the future. Kid has been standing open a few times down field this year. This offense needs big chunk plays to help out the youth and inexperienced offensive line that tends to set you back a bit at times. It's currently 51st nationally in yards per play.

The whole video can be found on the front page.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hey, Roman — Love your work. Look for it every week.
But a suggestion: Not all of us are up on x and o terminology — i.,e., “Smash corner,” “Overlay to an out underneath.”
Makes it hard to follow. If you could simplify the language, dummies like me would get even more out of this feature.

Need to find ways to get him the ball downfield when he is open. This one has a little bit of caveat. Jeff is running the smash corner which is the overlay to an out underneath (KJ) Mallory essentially drags across the field in the middle of the two twin receivers making this a flood with a high, middle and low read. Jeff wouldn't essentially have an option to stay vertical in most college offenses, but it's hard to see this on film and think they need to plan for this contingency in the future. Kid has been standing open a few times down field this year. This offense needs big chunk plays to help out the youth and inexperienced offensive line that tends to set you back a bit at times. It's currently 51st nationally in yards per play.

Great breakdown as always. It really doesn’t matter what Jeff or any other receiver does on these deep routes. We have a 4 game sample set and by my recollection we have at least a dozen wide open deep routes that are missed and even worse....not one well thrown deep ball. Literally not a single ball thrown more than 20 yards where the receiver can keep his stride and run under it. At some point it stops being circumstantial and starts becoming evidence.

More experience qb would have thrown that ball. I’ve noticed Jarren has a timing issue on deep passes. He’s throwing too late. He has to trust the picture and sling it.

Advertisement
But a suggestion: Not all of us are up on x and o terminology — i.,e., “Smash corner,” “Overlay to an out underneath.”
Makes it hard to follow. If you could simplify the language, dummies like me would get even more out of this feature.

Sorry. Get technical in print and try to be more simple on video. A smash concept is a very common staple in every single offense down to even the high school level.

The slot receiver runs a corner route
The outside runs an out (z-out or a stop)

Sorry I get more technical in print and usually try to talk plain in videos. It is a habit. But this is what is called a "Smash concept" There is variants where the outside receiver does a stop or simple outs as well. On the play listed in the video the two receivers run a "smash" and Mallory essentially drags across the field in the middle of these two routes
SMASH-1.jpg

Sorry. Get technical in print and try to be more simple on video. A smash concept is a very common staple in every single offense down to even the high school level.

The slot receiver runs a corner route
The outside runs an out (z-out or a stop)

Sorry I get more technical in print and usually try to talk plain in videos. It is a habit. But this is what is called a "Smash concept" There is variants where the outside receiver does a stop or simple outs as well. On the play listed in the video the two receivers run a "smash" and Mallory essentially drags across the field in the middle of these two routes
View attachment 97680
More like this, please. I'd love to learn more X's and O's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like JW starting and think he is our present and future... but I’m tired of every single week we hear him and others saying that we missed an opportunity hitting Jeff Thomas wise open deep. It’s like it’s not one of his reads. Is that Enos or Jarren at this point?
I feel like it’s jarren. he doesn’t throw deep a lot because by the time he “sees” the deep man open its to late. Deep throws are anticipation throws for the most part. Jarren (**** autocorrect) doesn’t process or get his f^%$ing feet ready to throw deep quick enough

Last edited:
Teams are going to stop defending us deep and squat on our routes. It's become obvious that JW wont/cant throw the deep ball.

This is what concerns me. Miami has been down right lethal on post snap RPOs (all in breaking or vertical seam variety) this central Michigan defender is in a prime position to take away the qb's read AND be a free hitter and engage vs the run game. Miami will see this again. I promise you this.

Advertisement
Back