Jarren Williams and the continued mismanagement of the QB position

Advertisement
Advertisement
Got it. You are just hoping it improves but the reality is that there are just as many unknowns about next year.

I look at the trajectory, and the way we've played since Richt began coaching here. I also look at recruiting and the S&C/nutrition/player-development system we have. Let's wait till after signing day before we declare next season a failure. Seniors are gone and positions are up for grabs. The rubric for my expectations is different than yours and I don't expect you to agree with me, but labeling my rationale as hope is a simplification of failing to understand my rubric.

Last edited:
I look at the trajectory and the way we played before Richt and after. I also look at recruiting and the S&C/player-development system we have. Let's wait till after signing day before we declare next season a failure. Seniors are gone and positions are up for grabs. It's all about competition.

I’m not declaring next season a failure but I’m not here trying to sell improvement when there’s nothing that says it will be.
Counting on a bunch of players that haven’t played is by definition an unknown.
Counting on vast improvement from players that have struggled this year is wishful thinking.
Players will leave yes but we can’t say at this point that the replacements will play better.
MAYBE they will. MAYBE there will be vast improvement. MAYBE the players that haven’t played that we don’t know anything real about will turn out to be good. BUT we don’t know....and that’s the point.
Don’t say “improvement is expected” because....the more accurate statement is “we hope there is improvement but it could very well just be as bad as this year”

I’m not declaring next season a failure but I’m not here trying to sell improvement when there’s nothing that says it will be.
Counting on vast improvement from players that have struggled this year is wishful thinking.
Players will leave and but we can’t say at this point that the replacements will play better.
MAYBE they will. MAYBE there will be vast improvement. MAYBE the players that haven’t played that we don’t know anything real about will turn out to be good. BUT we don’t know....and that’s the point.
Don’t say “improvement is expected” because....the more accurate statement is “we hope there is improvement but it could very well just be as bad as this year”

But I'm not selling anything to anyone. I really don't care what anyone thinks about what I say. The rubric for my expectations is different than yours and I don't expect you to agree with me, but labeling my rationale as hope is a simplification of failing to understand my rubric.

Going further, i think it's defeatist to believe teenagers with developing minds and bodies who go though offseason MAT drills/S&C/Spring Camp/Fall Camp wont improve. The questions shouldn't be if they improve it should be to what degree and do we have the right combination of players. Do we have a left tackle on the roster? That should be the biggest question. I say, yes, Scaife should be able to handle that position based on the sample-size we've seen from him as a true freshman. That alone would be a strong improvement as he's a better athlete that what we've had for the last 3 seasons.

Last edited:
I'm a bit skeptical that Jarren is going to get a shot here. Richt has already said that Perry is in driver's seat. My question is, why? What has Perry done to earn that luxury? It should be a wide open competition with no one as the favorite or in the *driver's seat." Remember this is the same cat that coveted Arthur Sitowski and didn't recruit Deshaun Watson.

I agree. And if what BD has said is correct, he will have to decide if he wants to wait a couple of years........

Advertisement
It’s really not as crazy as y’all make it seem. Perry is the starter from now on. That had been clear since the GT game. Ppl and fans pretend like MR had been “holding Perry back”. He gave him the WHOLE GAME vs FSU even through his up and downs during that game. Wins the game off the back of the D, has a whole bye week then comes out VS UVA looking dazed n confused after throwing 2 picks in his 1st 6 passes. 2-6 with 2 picks... Perry had a chance to put the QBs story to bed then..vs VT and GT he put together 2 solid games. Yesterday ther were drops and Perry was off on some throws, but Perry never once out the ba in harms way that’s a positive .

As far as being up 24-3 n not seeing Williams..24-3 is a commanding lead but not a lead u just throw your 4th string (yes William is 4th string) true fresh QB IN. We went up 21 with about 11 minutes still remaining. With that much time left u don’t sit on the ball. And we didn’t do that..you put Williams in and he makes a mistake or somebody around him makes a mistake. Fumbled snap, or handoff. They go n score 6 . Now your in a 2 possession game and they get mo with plenty of time left. Call it coaching scared, most will call it coaching smart...that happens then you have to put Perry back in..Williams wasnt gaining any valuable exprience from yesterdats game.

These bowl practices and prep is better exprience than just coming in to hand the ball off.

I think this may have something to do with the new transfer rules. Also recruiting by other teams of players on our roster who might not be starting for whatever reason. There is basically no film of him throwing this year in a real game.

It’s really not as crazy as y’all make it seem. Perry is the starter from now on. That had been clear since the GT game. Ppl and fans pretend like MR had been “holding Perry back”. He gave him the WHOLE GAME vs FSU even through his up and downs during that game. Wins the game off the back of the D, has a whole bye week then comes out VS UVA looking dazed n confused after throwing 2 picks in his 1st 6 passes. 2-6 with 2 picks... Perry had a chance to put the QBs story to bed then..vs VT and GT he put together 2 solid games. Yesterday ther were drops and Perry was off on some throws, but Perry never once out the ba in harms way that’s a positive .

As far as being up 24-3 n not seeing Williams..24-3 is a commanding lead but not a lead u just throw your 4th string (yes William is 4th string) true fresh QB IN. We went up 21 with about 11 minutes still remaining. With that much time left u don’t sit on the ball. And we didn’t do that..you put Williams in and he makes a mistake or somebody around him makes a mistake. Fumbled snap, or handoff. They go n score 6 . Now your in a 2 possession game and they get mo with plenty of time left. Call it coaching scared, most will call it coaching smart...that happens then you have to put Perry back in..Williams wasnt gaining any valuable exprience from yesterdats game.

These bowl practices and prep is better exprience than just coming in to hand the ball off.
Just running out the clock with an entire quarter left to play (he always does it ) because you’re SCARED something bad will happen like a fumbled snap or INT is the definition of coaching SCARED. We are the better team with better payers , there is no need to b scared and basically shorten the game. It’s lazy really

Advertisement
At the very least should have played him during garbage time late in the 4th.

This. The W was guaranteed with most of the 4th quarter to go. D was lights out. Jarren should've gotten some burn. Last game. See what he's made of to get a better idea of the QB competition going into next season. Perry cannot be guaranteed a starting spot.

Players will leave yes but we can’t say at this point that the replacements will play better.
That’s college football. They don’t have careers here. They are just passing through. College rosters are in a constant state of flux.

( You guys have any idea how long I have waited to use “state of flux”?)

Just running out the clock with an entire quarter left to play (he always does it ) because you’re SCARED something bad will happen like a fumbled snap or INT is the definition of coaching SCARED. We are the better team with better payers , there is no need to b scared and basically shorten the game. It’s lazy really
But we didn’t do that in the 4th. That was my point. Until about the 4 min mark. We only had 3 possessions in 4th. One which we scored on. The 2nd was the Langham drop on 4th in the endzone. And the 3rd was the end of the ball game.

As far as the coaching too scared..I was referring to putting in your true freshman 4th string QB up 21 with plenty of time too play(10:00) no you don’t put him in to “gain exprience” by handing off the ball when the other team is still tryna get back in the game..it’s like y’all wanted jarren or Perry to be pushing the ball down field in the 4th up 24-3..that makes no sense

Advertisement
At this point, I just hope he's on the team next year. Realistically, it's gonna be tough to be hopeful about anything involving this program until serious changes are made on the staff. I don't even wanna think about UF to kick off next season, especially knowing the 2 wins + bowl game to end the season might be just enough for the powers that be to keep things as they are & "give Richt more time".

I was referring to putting in your true freshman 4th string QB up 21 with plenty of time too play(10:00) no you don’t put him in to “gain exprience” by handing off the ball

I mean its great that u have what you "don't" do covered....but how about we change the conversation to what you "DO" do....given the new 4 games rule for True Freshmen when you have 5 losses and aren't playing for anything.

Do you systematically try to run as much time off the clock whenever you have a lead (and ignore the rule changes)....instead of continuing to play aggressively enough to gain these young kids more (if any) experience?

Is showing potential QB recruits that you will not play them if you really really dont have to the best thing to do?

I mean its great that u have what you "don't" do covered....but how about we change the conversation to what you "DO" do....given the new 4 games rule for True Freshmen when you have 5 losses and aren't playing for anything.

Do you systematically try to run as much time off the clock whenever you have a lead (and ignore the rule changes)....instead of continuing to play aggressively enough to gain these young kids more (if any) experience?

Is showing potential QB recruits that you will not play them if you really really dont have to the best thing to do?

Personally I don’t believe in the theory.
If a guy is not ready then u don’t compound that by putting him in bad situations or situations he’s not ready to handle.

I also don’t believe in jeopardizing a win In the name of gaining exprience. You don’t think that game meant a lot for those SRs on D or upperclassman on O? Or to guys who want to turn this thing around heading into next year..It might not mean much to some fans. To y’all 7-5 and 6-6 might not mean a whole lot but to guys who actually put in time and physical effort other than buying season tickets it means a lot..so nah. You don’t put in jeopardy a Dub to “gain exprience” for a 4th string true fresh QB.

Personally I don’t believe in the theory.
If a guy is not ready then u don’t compound that by putting him in bad situations or situations he’s not ready to handle.

Sorry for not really reading past this but the whole "If a guy is not ready" is an extremely self-gratifying "box" to put yourself in and close out anything or anyone that disagrees.

If a guy is not ready for what? Leading us back when we're down 21 with 6 minutes left? Or simply getting reps?
If a kid is not "ready" for the latter,...he shouldn't even be here to begin with.

But it's neither here nor there from your standpoint because you can claim every single player that hasn't played as "not ready." Then when they play and show that they're "ready",....you get to say "You see? He waited. Great job!!" There's no room to budge your mind on the entire roster. Why even discuss it?

Malik Rosier had no business being named the starter this year. He's the one that wasn't "ready" and never will be, because he can't throw. N'Kosi isin't "ready" to lead a Hesiman campaign, but as we've seen, he sould've been the starter against LSU.

On the flipside, the defense has gotten reps to plenty of kids that weren't "ready" and their psyche isin't destroyed for their next 4 years or any stupid, ancient, trivial mess like that.

IMO,...if you're going to delegate yourself to the "they're not ready" box then stay in that box and you really have no further imput on the situation. Leave the subject to those that are interested in playing time and game clock management (discussion) instead of simply bleeding 12 games for as much as you can. I mean the point of the game after all IS for entertainment and enjoyment,...not trying to end every game with a lead as soon as you can.

The fans don't enjoy it and the major recruits dont enjoy it. It reeks of desperation and insecurity in performing your profession.

Keep in mind,...I'm keying in on trying to end games and get the **** outta there every week (I personally only truly noticed such desperation yesterday),...not necessarily N'Kosi or "not ready" players playing. That way, there's no way for you to dodge from the obvious.

Any possible coach for a program like this that has zero interest in putting an entertaining product on the field shouldn't have this job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back