Jarren Williams and the continued mismanagement of the QB position

Richt isn't a QB guru and isn't a competent offensive coach like people seem to believe. He couldn't properly manage a 7-11 right now. There is really no excuse for Jarren only playing in one game this season. The only thing I can think of is Richt is protecting himself and his son from everyone seeing that the QBs are not being properly developed under their tutelage.

Not an easy thing to do, friend.

Advertisement
If JW was in yes, keep it going.
Which is what I wanted.

He left Perry in so it really would not have accomplished anything. He wasn't hitting the side of a barn and we were gashing them in the running game.
We had a TD when he did throw into the endzone on the 4th and 1 that Langham dropped.

Now if we were vying for a playoff spot, absolutely yes...
give them the OSU v Mich or Bama v Auburn treatment.
The Langham drop was on 4th down, feast of famine. It would have been a longer FG for Baxa, but not out of his range. I agreed with the call, but I absolutely cringed watching every second tick off the play clock with that much time in the game. It reeks of cowardice.

That said you're not wrong, our WR's couldn't catch a balloon last night, but CMR did this all season long when we have a multi-possession lead. I think the issue many of us have with his method is that we still don't have a QB, and there was valuable game experience to be had in many of those games. Particularly last night when Pitt absolutely was not going to comeback down 3 TD's against our D, what's the harm in putting either of the backups in for a series and get them some snaps? If JW comes in and throws a pick six and we suddenly have a 2 TD lead with 8:00 to play, you put Perry back in and then start milking the clock.

I've learned a lot from Perry. I'm now as skeptical as ever that he can be the guy. I just haven't figured Richt out: he gives Malik a long leash, then Perry a short leash, now Perry gets a full-game long leash. It's schizophrenic coaching.

As for "just maybe there's a reason Williams isn't playing", Perry went 6/24 for 52 yards. Again, I find it very hard to believe Jarren would do much worse than that even if he tried.

He's trying to win the game and puts a premium on that, first and foremost. Richt doesn't like the appearance of running it up, but is okay with our players executing the offense in a passive beatdown; he's even willing to throw the fade to Langham on 4th down. The problem is we're not up enough to put in the #2 at qB. If it was 24-3 in the 1st quarter on the way to a blowout Williams would have gotten some run. We seem a year behind in that area and hopefully the OL continues to improve as expected.

Advertisement
If yesterday did anything for Williams it should have shown him that he’s got a great chance to win the job next year. That was Perry’s second sub-15 QBR this year. You almost have to try to go below 15 QBR.

On a side note, our WRs were shameful yesterday. Deplorable.

I don't buy the playbook excuse at all anymore.

One thing about Perry yesterday was the fact he seemed to throw darts on every pass. Very little touch on the ball at all - the tv announcers even commented on it at one point..

If you've paid attention to any of the games we're up by 2+ scores in the 4th this year, CMR's M.O. is to let the play clock run down on every down, run conservatively and bleed the clock. He starts doing it early in the 4th too. He has no killer instinct, its all survival. Even if he put JW or Weldon in, all they'd be doing is watching the play clock and handing off.
He threw a fade on 4th down...

The Langham drop was on 4th down, feast of famine. It would have been a longer FG for Baxa, but not out of his range. I agreed with the call, but I absolutely cringed watching every second tick off the play clock with that much time in the game. It reeks of cowardice.

That said you're not wrong, our WR's couldn't catch a balloon last night, but CMR did this all season long when we have a multi-possession lead. I think the issue many of us have with his method is that we still don't have a QB, and there was valuable game experience to be had in many of those games. Particularly last night when Pitt absolutely was not going to comeback down 3 TD's against our D, what's the harm in putting either of the backups in for a series and get them some snaps? If JW comes in and throws a pick six and we suddenly have a 2 TD lead with 8:00 to play, you put Perry back in and then start milking the clock.

A little strong.

I agree just run your normal offense. We were snapping the ball with around 10-15 seconds on the play clock all game. Keep that going.
Any possible flow is dead when you run it down to zero.

JJ would have put JW in and had him winging it.
MR is not JJ.

Advertisement
First of all, if the WR's did their job maybe we would've been up by enough points warrant getting JW some play. Second of all why would you put JW in if the receivers were dropping literally everything.
Good point.

We all rightfully thought that once Jarren's redshirt wouldn't have to be burned that he'd get some burn in a game. Then came a questionable suspension. But yesterday? What was the reason for not putting him in the game? Yes, we had a lot of drops by the WRs, but there were a ton of overthrown passes and staring down of the first option by N'Kosi to warrant putting Jarren in. N'Kosi finished 6/24 passing for 52 yards, a 2.2 YPA and paltry 13.2 QB rating. That is unacceptable, I don't want to hear excuses for that stat line.

I just don't get why Richt won't play Jarren. If his concern is that he doesn't know his 5-play playbook, my reply is "would it really have been worse than 6/24 passing for 52 yards?" And, if so, we ought to know so that we know what we have going into next year.

Come on boys!! The redshirt rule applied 30 years back work just fine.

Amazing that there are freshmen all.over the country doing very good with a playbook much more complicated than Rights archaic play book. Our freshmen can not learn this simplistic crap. Some of you actually believe the BS coming from.our coaches. Pathetic.

Advertisement
Our Receivers lead the universe in drops. Cager langham Harley Njoku havent improved. Pope isn’t ready they say. What does Dugans do besides recruit? dude probably spends entire practices teaching them how to block instead of catch

I'm a bit skeptical that Jarren is going to get a shot here. Richt has already said that Perry is in driver's seat. My question is, why? What has Perry done to earn that luxury? It should be a wide open competition with no one as the favorite or in the *driver's seat." Remember this is the same cat that coveted Arthur Sitowski and didn't recruit Deshaun Watson.

If you've paid attention to any of the games we're up by 2+ scores in the 4th this year, CMR's M.O. is to let the play clock run down on every down, run conservatively and bleed the clock. He starts doing it early in the 4th too. He has no killer instinct, its all survival. Even if he put JW or Weldon in, all they'd be doing is watching the play clock and handing off.
That was CMR's m.o. at Georgia. Go conservative with a safe lead early in 4th.

Advertisement
A little strong.
I suppose it's my frustration speaking. There are circumstances that warrant bleeding the clock to get out of Dodge with a win, CMR seems to go that route way too early, way too often, IMO. I despise playing not to lose approach, it's a losers mentality. It cost Golden the game against FSU a few years back.

With the way our D was playing up 3 scores, there was value to be had in getting either of the two backups in the game. Even if they come in and throw a pick-6 on their first pass, they'll learn from that, and we're still up 2-scores with a D that was playing mind games with Pitt's offense all night. And if they're hitting Harley and Langham in the numbers and they're still dropping them, they'll learn from that too.

Again, frustration. Practice can't simulate game experience against another team, and we ****ed a way a LOT of opportunities to take advantage of the new RS rules this season, specifically with regards to our QB's. If anything happens to Perry before the UF game next year, Weldon and JW probably have less than 10 combined pass attempts between them.

Hopefully you have noticede that Richt is not that smart. Was at the game yesterday and the wind was very strong in the beginning of the game. Instead of running the ball this idiot is throwing long passes w/o any success. We give the ball to Homer after a few series and we get a long run and a TD. Richt is a bumbling FOOL and we should have won that game by 45 points. The defense was simply outstanding. Yes, he should have put Williams in but he is BRAIN DEAD!

Richtarded isn't willing to pull Cager or Langham for more than one series in favor of Hightower, Pope and Ezzard. Of course he's not going to think past a meaningless game that's already been won and see what he's got in Williams.

Advertisement
Back