Jarren out of QB race?

Advertisement
Not saying Jarren is out, because I don't have a clue as to what is happening with the QB race, but there seems to be some truth to the fact that this is down to a two man race, at least in the eyes of Diaz. In the quote below, he starts out by acknowledging that after the spring he felt good about all 3 QB's. He then changed his tone later in the conversation. Who's the two guys? I don't know, but I just came across this quote from Diaz (SIAP)....

"We went from January 1st not having a quarterback on our campus we could win with, to on April 20th we had three quarterbacks on our campus we could win with. We had to go into the summer, let those guys be on their own, when coaches around allowed to watch, really found out who would take control of the football team.

Two of the guys want to be the quarterback at Miami, one of the guys has to be the quarterback at Miami. I don’t know which guy that is here. I’m going to find out here in the next two or three weeks. Whatever guy that is, he’ll take the first snap against Florida at Orlando on the 24th."

LOL if you think just reporters are what I got that from you need to think harder

You’ve been anti Tate for a minute now. If you’re not basing it on the 15 minutes the reporters saw and reported from then wtf are you basing it on?

Not saying Jarren is out, because I don't have a clue as to what is happening with the QB race, but there seems to be some truth to the fact that this is down to a two man race, at least in the eyes of Diaz. In the quote below, he starts out by acknowledging that after the spring he felt good about all 3 QB's. He then changed his tone later in the conversation. Who's the two guys? I don't know, but I just came across this quote from Diaz (SIAP)....

"We went from January 1st not having a quarterback on our campus we could win with, to on April 20th we had three quarterbacks on our campus we could win with. We had to go into the summer, let those guys be on their own, when coaches around allowed to watch, really found out who would take control of the football team.

Two of the guys want to be the quarterback at Miami, one of the guys has to be the quarterback at Miami. I don’t know which guy that is here. I’m going to find out here in the next two or three weeks. Whatever guy that is, he’ll take the first snap against Florida at Orlando on the 24th."
He’s saying in that statement whoever the winner is HAS to be the quarterback at Miami while the 2 losers in the battle wants to be the quarterback, since there is a total of 3 in the race that makes since

Advertisement
He’s saying in that statement whoever the winner is HAS to be the quarterback at Miami while the 2 losers in the battle wants to be the quarterback, since there is a total of 3 in the race that makes since
I disagree, even though you may be right. The statement that you are referring to, Manny had made on several occasions. In my opinion, this is not one of those times.

That quote is as straight forward as it gets. He's saying two of the three only WANT to be the QB but one of the three NEEDS to be the QB and the one who needs it will win. I don't see how u interpret that any other way.

Advertisement

Reg, I’m also reading this as there will be (future tense) two guys that will want to be the guy, one guy that HAS to be the guy, or can be the guy. For a total of three.

That’s how I’m interpreting it.

So the way I’m reading it, is that he’s not saying it’s been narrowed down to two.

I think you’ll see in future statements, and upcoming interviews, where he’ll say it’s still a three-man race. I’d be willing to bet money on that. Right up until the second week of practice or so.

Advertisement
Better than a Gator cut . . .

1563800950301.png

Its NOT going to be the "work" that the 3 QBs put in over the summer.

Its going to be HOW that "work" made that QB the best possible choice for being the starter.....i.e. reduce/eliminate your deficiencies and improve your strength and capabilities.

Just because someone was a workout warrior over the summer won't prove that he deserves the job.....especially if he still has trouble with the plays ....or if his capabilities are still limited etc etc.

This summer was an opportunity to improve.

The fall practices will show who has broken out as our clear front runner and earned the most snaps for leading our planned 8/24 beatdown of the gators

Last edited:
Reg, I’m also reading this as there will be (future tense) two guys that will want to be the guy, one guy that HAS to be the guy, or can be the guy. For a total of three.

That’s how I’m interpreting it.

So the way I’m reading it, is that he’s not saying it’s been narrowed down to two.

I think you’ll see in future statements, and upcoming interviews, where he’ll say it’s still a three-man race. I’d be willing to bet money on that. Right up until the second week of practice or so.
You could very well be correct, my friend. I viewed it as a case of parapraxis on Diaz part, but I could definitely be wrong.

Advertisement
I believe Manny when he says its a three-way race, and honestly, that's how it should be. Last year, it killed this team's morale when Malik was picked to start the season over N'Kosi. Now, N'Kosi is at fault for all the dumb sh*t he did off the field, but there were lots of guys on this team that thought Malik didn't earn that starting position. He got the nod because of his game time experience and maturity, not because of what he actually did on the field during fall practice. When a team starts to believe that the work you put in on the practice field doesn't matter, because the HC will just go with the most senior (even less capable) guy, there's going to be big problems.

N'Kosi and Jarren could definitley be the guy, but I do believe that they're at a slight disadvantage compared to Tate. For one, N'Kosi had to deal with the absolute worst QB coach in Jon Richt for the past two years, and Jarren experienced the same for one. I know this is a comment from the head of the old regime, but it was well known last year that Mark Richt had absolutely zero faith in N'Kosi's ability to take the team out of bad situations. They even gave some responsibility for in-game adjustments and audibles to our C Tyler Gauthier. Unfortunately, Jarren didn't get a shot to do anything last year but he threw in the towel once it was clear he wouldn't play. In comparison, Tate had good coaching and a proven conditioning program at OSU. We also know that he's got a very high football IQ, and has been breaking down film in-depth since his high school days.

Overall, my pre-fall camp prediction (we need to see actual results later this week) is that Tate will start on 8/24. My feeling is that Dan Enos is going to go with the guy that has the highest football IQ and understands the offense the most. N'Kosi and Jarren have better arm talent than Tate (Tate can still make all the throws we need), but if Tate is better conditioned, has a higher football IQ, and knows 80% of the playbook compared to the other guys that know 70%, I think he gets the nod. We need the full package at QB, but Enos is going to want the most options possible for dealing with UF's D. We'll have to wait and see. Neither QB can afford to perform badly.

No. He was a redshirt frosh. He had plenty of time in the system. He was given every chance to succeed. The fact is he blew it. Again, watch the tape. It’s obvious Perry made 2-3 bad plays to every good one. He doesn’t have it upstairs. That isn’t going to change enough for him to be a good QB based on his OC or QB coach. Especially not when it comes out he couldn’t handle audible and protection calls. He’s not the answer.
We had a system??? 🤔

At this point, Tate may very well be in the lead. A recent article in the Herald gives us what I consider to be the best insight yet on Manny's thoughts about the QB race.

On Perry: “I think he’s improving. I do,’’ Diaz said. “I think he’s still learning. Quarterbacks don’t end up on lists. And that’s just the way it should be. Quarterbacks should not be high maintenance guys off the field...I would say N’Kosi, like all of them, is better. But I would not say that he’s figured it all out and is straight A’s across the board.”

On Jarren: “came out of spring knowing that Jarren can do it. Jarren can make throws, Jarren can process. I think Jarren’s standpoint is having the maturity to do it now...For Jarren,’’ Diaz replied, “it’s being the same guy every day. It could be something silly in the spring of calling the right play in the huddle or not going the wrong way on a run or missing a very obvious check at the line of scrimmage. That’s the mental thing you’ve got to have.

On Tate: "You could see it all click at little different times for the guys in spring. And that’s why we weren’t naming a starter in spring. Tate, it was Day 13...Tate came out Day 13 and 15 and just was dealing, and walked off the field feeling very confident about himself and it kind of changes his demeanor. Day 14 the same thing and then he went to Orlando and my opinion played very well in Orlando. So, he came out of spring with a lot of confidence.

So, at the moment, Perry's getting better but needs to keep his head out of his *** off the field, which should have never been a problem to begin with. Jarren has all the ability but it just hasn't clicked for him mentally as of yet - which I've suspected and mentioned in previous posts. And Tate finished the spring on a high note with his best performances in the final days of practice and in the spring game.

With that said, if either of the 3 QBs comes out and takes charge in the next few weeks, none of it will matter much. Manny knows he's potentially sitting on a monster with this team and a lot of that potential hinges on what we'll get from the QB position. I trust he & Enos will make the right call.

Full article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mi...acc/university-of-miami/article232873682.html

Advertisement
Back