Jarren out of QB race?

“For those that weren't able to go, here are my random thoughts:

1. Saw a lot of big sets from Enos. There were a lot of 2 TE sets and plenty of Realus George. A lot of plays were run under center.
2. It is a two-man race between Kosi and Jarren. Tate is clearly well behind both. I'll discuss Tate later.

Kosi and Jarren were pretty close from what I saw. I'm no pro scout, but if I had to say, I'd say Jarren throws a better ball. I'd guess that the job will go to the QB that displays better maturity and really digs into the playbook. I have a feeling the stuff we don't see (locker room, meetings, etc.) will determine who wins the job. I wonder if Kosi's conduct last year will stain this coaching staff's views or expectations of him.

3. Tate. Rough day. Candidly, if I didn't know better, I'd say he was a non-scholarship kid. He struggled. He reminded me of that lefty UNC kid. He's got some real skills running the ball, but he's way behind the other 2. Also, at least from what we saw of the offense, if a majority of plays will be run under center, it doesn't seem like Enos' offense is built for him. Without the benefit of replay and a crappy vantage point, it seemed to me he couldn't set his feet because balls were landing several feet in front of receivers. I don't think the issue was a lack of arm strength. There was a slant to Njoku that was thrown well behind him.”

- from AlexCane

I know this was back in April. Things will continue to change. And even more recent....

In an interview with Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Tom Lemming, the dean of recruiting analysts stated he thinks that Miami Hurricanes quarterback Tate Martellwill be as good as Ken Dorsey or at least as good as Kyle Wright. Martell’s triple-threat ability to read defenses and throw and run adeptly make him dangerous.
Dorsey is the second all-time passer in Miami history. Dorsey’s record stood until it was broken by Brad Kaaya in 2016. Dorsey still holds the program’s all-time record in passing touchdowns in Miami history with 86. That’s 16 ahead of Jacory Harriswho is second all-time. Wright is 10th in Miami history in TD passes and yards.

Advertisement
Thought it was a baby shark podcast

1000% seeing one of you buddy's faces going crazy every time we play it.....#priceless
You know in palm beach county they are playing the song on endless loops to keep homeless settlers away from public parks....Crazy

Advertisement
I don't doubt this and have said since the minute Martell agreed to come here that at least 1 of Martell, Perry, and Williams would not be on the roster for long. Possibly 2. But because a fan said it's a 2 horse race on a fan podcast literally means absolutely zero.

Those guys are pretty good. Their podcast is very entertaining and well informed. One of them being Roman who writes incredible Football article’s for CIS. Idk how good their “sources” are but they reflect what Brooklyn say. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Those guys are pretty good. Their podcast is very entertaining and well informed. One of them being Roman who writes incredible Football article’s for CIS. Idk how good their “sources” are but they reflect what Brooklyn say. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Thank you for this.

Advertisement
Why Tate? Forgive me if you discussed this before.

At the moment. I think his short area quickness and his ability to get his receivers the ball quickly will pay dividends for this offense. I think he has the moxy and the drive and by all intents and purposes, has really studied his *** off trying to nail down this offense. Honestly I have been on record for the longest time trying to tell individuals that the qb who mastered the offense first, would start. The qb who fell the furthest behind, will transfer.

Now let's look at this example. Enos is absolutely brilliant in designing this. But this RPO marriage, this play design, this qb quick decision, reset, gather and fire...looks really **** good. KJ isn't bad either.

Roman knows his stuff and I always enjoy what he posts and tweets. What I said wasn’t meant to be negative at all, nor did I criticize the podcast in any way. All I said was they don’t “know” who has a leg up on who in any positional race more than you or I do. If Jarren comes out in camp and mops people up, he’s gonna start. All I said. Someone started a thread about a guy on a fan podcast saying something. It holds no weight. Has no bearing on how good the pod or Roman are, and again I enjoy Roman’s opinions on everything offensive football, because he knows what he’s talking about.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante so do you think tate can pass well enough to be the guy? He struggled badly in the spring throwing and had issues with it at osu too.

And do you think enos will change his offense for tate?

He struggled early in spring. Absolutely he did. I did not panic when he did. New environment. New surroundings and **** that humidity outside is a b*tch to deal with when you aren't used to it. He settled in nicely in the spring game. He was over 80% passer at OSU in his capacity. And they weren't all just open guys. He had some nice tight window throws when I did his OSU film review.

Listen you aren't going to be featured on a netflix show QB1 and get a major scholarship to OSU not being able to throw the ball. From my own experience, I would transition from baseball and my throwing mechanics were a mess. So much so my coaches would routinely ask, "You going to throw a spiral once this camp or what?" I would reign in. Get comfortable.

Yes. That RPO from Enos alone shows his ability to back Tate up. Get him in a more suitable offense, and get him success through genuine ingenuity, deception and play design. (something we lacked last year) I think Enos is certainly more than capable adapting the offense to whoever the qb is. And remember, the "best quarterback" the university ever had did not have the "arm." But what did he have? He had those eyes man. Those eyes that you knew he was a killer. The eyes that said, come with me guys, we aren't going to lose this game.

Roman knows his stuff and I always enjoy what he posts and tweets. What I said wasn’t meant to be negative at all, nor did I criticize the podcast in any way. All I said was they don’t “know” who has a leg up on who in any positional race more than you or I do. If Jarren comes out in camp and mops people up, he’s gonna start. All I said. Someone started a thread about a guy on a fan podcast saying something. It holds no weight. Has no bearing on how good the pod or Roman are, and again I enjoy Roman’s opinions on everything offensive football, because he knows what he’s talking about.

Yeah man. no offense taken. Deep down OBM I am laughing my *** off. Because this thread started because someone took Scoop literally. If you know him (he's my boy and trust me he's no dummy) but he doesn't even take himself that seriously. lol. He believes Tate is going to be the guy. And God bless him. Right now, so do I.

There's a couple of interviews that give more of Manny's comments on the QB situation. This is one:

Advertisement
Yeah man. no offense taken. Deep down OBM I am laughing my *** off. Because this thread started because someone took Scoop literally. If you know him (he's my boy and trust me he's no dummy) but he doesn't even take himself that seriously. lol. He believes Tate is going to be the guy. And God bless him. Right now, so do I.

Hahaha that’s what I mean and all I was trying to say with my post. This wasn’t exactly thread worthy lol. Also, my money is on Tate as well. I just think he’s the most difficult of the 3 to defend, and he’s a gamer. But of course as you’ve been saying and what ALL of us should be saying, may the best man win. Dan Enos is no dummy. Whichever kid he picks, I will believe fully that kid gives us the best chance to win, because obviously that’s how Enos feels. I don’t care who it is. May the best man win, and may we win 8/24.

He struggled early in spring. Absolutely he did. I did not panic when he did. New environment. New surroundings and **** that humidity outside is a b*tch to deal with when you aren't used to it. He settled in nicely in the spring game. He was over 80% passer at OSU in his capacity. And they weren't all just open guys. He had some nice tight window throws when I did his OSU film review.

Listen you aren't going to be featured on a netflix show QB1 and get a major scholarship to OSU not being able to throw the ball. From my own experience, I would transition from baseball and my throwing mechanics were a mess. So much so my coaches would routinely ask, "You going to throw a spiral once this camp or what?" I would reign in. Get comfortable.

Yes. That RPO from Enos alone shows his ability to back Tate up. Get him in a more suitable offense, and get him success through genuine ingenuity, deception and play design. (something we lacked last year) I think Enos is certainly more than capable adapting the offense to whoever the qb is. And remember, the "best quarterback" the university ever had did not have the "arm." But what did he have? He had those eyes man. Those eyes that you knew he was a killer. The eyes that said, come with me guys, we aren't going to lose this game.
Thank you, this is what I've been saying.

My issue isn't the arm strength. My concern is with how he reportedly looked as a passer in spring. And from hearing a former coach at osu(yeah he a piece of shît) say he was very average as a passer, to the talk that ryan day moved on because he didn't think martell could throw well enough in his offense.

He is very quick and can make plays with his legs but after watching the horrible passing game the last 2 years and especially last year i want a guy who can consistently get these weapons the ball.

Advertisement
Back