Jared Harrison-Hunte says he's gained 20 pounds

Advertisement
Leonard Taylor played around 300 as a true freshman last year and was incredibly effective. 21 tackles, 8.5 tfl and 2 sacks in 6 games. He’s ready to be an all conference caliber player already.
It's crazy that the only thing holding him back last season was his coaches not letting him play.

Advertisement
It's still early, but the takeaway from this for me is that Mario wants his line to equal what we've seen from Bama and Clemson d lines in terms of size. It is easier said than done, but ideally you're DEs are 260+ and your tackles 300+. For years, its seemed like Miami has rolled with relatively smaller, faster DEs and DTs. (Even Gerald Willis who was remarkably productive was at 290.) That's fine against moderate competition but those guys get exposed against bigger lines. That's why I think a guy like Elijah Roberts has a chance to make a splash this year; he's a bigger end than we've had but was like a tweener DE/DT in Manny's scheme.
That weight difference becomes a huge factor late in the 3rd quarter, especially running the football. A Bama 320 pound OL going up against a 270 pound DT is not a recipe for success.

Advertisement
He's got the frame to easily carry 290. Had a great year in 2020 when we had 2 DEs that other teams needed to double. We need him to be a force.

I thought he was our best defensive player the first few games. Most of the clips in the OP are from the beginning of the season.

Not sure if he had an injury, wore down from being too light, or both.

We also had the craziest "pre-planned" rotation at DL, so when LT finally started to get more snaps it resulted in lost snaps for the other DTs.

I see JHH's production as being directly related by his snaps, not the other way around.

Advertisement
Pffff, 20 lbs is nothing, the typical CIS poRster could put on 25 over the Chtistmas holiday without breaking a sweat.

#eattogetslimmer
1645635182610.gif

RJ and Gerald Willis both played in the 280-285 range but they were significantly more athletic than Harrison-Hunte. These days if you're going to be a <300lb DT, you better be Aaron Donald.
the difference of athleticism between JHH and the other 2 players u mention is not that much different.

I would say this is a pretty good sign of his athleticism and he was 260-270 here. 20lbs over the course of 3 years shouldn’t be anything for a college athlete of his size. I think the weight he played at this previous season has more to do with the previous staff than his body not being able to handle it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is why I am skeptical when guys go predicting 15-0 or even 10-2. Our front 4 all have crazy upside, but have done nothing that separates them from the rest of the ACC defenders.

How can we be confident we'll beat Pitt, UNC and UVA with two 270-pound DTs? But wait, the 4th Quarter program has them up to 290, so of course they'll be all-ACC this season. ... Well, maybe so, and maybe the extra 20+ pounds slows them down like it did Zion Nelson when he added weight too quickly a few years back. And maybe two 290-poind DTs is still not big enough to handle the better teams' OLs? We just don't know And those games are more toss-ups than sure things right now.

I am all in on portaling it. Portal it for DEs, portal it for DTs -- at least 1 each. Portal it for CBs -- ideally 2, but 1 barest minimum please. Portal it for MLB. And on offense, we need an RT and a better C. ... if we don't do that, then I can't see how anyone can think we're a good bet to get 10+ wins and be in the ACCCG.

Advertisement
Back