Jared Harrison-Hunte says he's gained 20 pounds

Up to 290 per Rivals. He says we are trying very hard to put weight on him.

JHH and Leonard Taylor need a huge off-season in terms of getting more stout. They have the length and movement skills to be stars, but had tweener bodies last year. We need to get these guys ready to battle Texas A&M and Clemson.

Uhhh what?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Leonard Taylor played around 300 as a true freshman last year and was incredibly effective. 21 tackles, 8.5 tfl and 2 sacks in 6 games. He’s ready to be an all conference caliber player already.

Are you sure he was around 300? He didn’t look it…

I agree with the rest, but he needs to become much more stout IMO.

Did he really play at 300? He didn't look like it.

Are you sure he was around 300? He didn’t look it…

I agree with the rest, but he needs to become much more stout IMO.
UM has him listed at 6’3” 305. Even if they exaggerated a little bit, he’s still 295 minimum.

Advertisement
UM has him listed at 6’3” 305. Even if they exaggerated a little bit, he’s still 295 minimum.

Don’t know if I agree with that either lol. We just saw UM list King at 5’11 and he is 5’8 and some change after being officially measured at all star game. These sites exaggerate immensely all the time. All moot, the staff knows what they need to do with LT.

It's still early, but the takeaway from this for me is that Mario wants his line to equal what we've seen from Bama and Clemson d lines in terms of size. It is easier said than done, but ideally you're DEs are 260+ and your tackles 300+. For years, its seemed like Miami has rolled with relatively smaller, faster DEs and DTs. (Even Gerald Willis who was remarkably productive was at 290.) That's fine against moderate competition but those guys get exposed against bigger lines. That's why I think a guy like Elijah Roberts has a chance to make a splash this year; he's a bigger end than we've had but was like a tweener DE/DT in Manny's scheme.
YUP. Then we go against a Wisky in a bowl game and get completed blown off the line of scrimmage.

Coming into last season, I legit thought JHH had a chance to be a top 3 round pick. He flashed so much in 2020 and was going to be a full time starter and player for us but something just didn't quite workout.

Anyway, like you all said, he needs to add strength and size which is great he's doing that.

Advertisement
He didn't look any thicker than Hunt and he was 270. Anyway I hope they are both legitimately playing at 295-300 this season. They're going to be a problem.
Look at Taylor’s arms and legs compared to JHH. He doesn't have the fat belly that some DTs have but he’s got thick limbs. JHH looks like a basketball player.

Don’t know if I agree with that either lol. We just saw UM list King at 5’11 and he is 5’8 and some change after being officially measured at all star game. These sites exaggerate immensely all the time. All moot, the staff knows what they need to do with LT.
UM has Harrison-Hunte listed 20 lbs light than Taylor though. So even if they’re exaggerating, there’s still a big weight difference between the two.

We seeing proof that Mannie as a modern day DC has NO idea what's needed to win the trenches, stuff the run or set the edge. We are witnessing how a professionally lead and operated college team functions. In two months they improved the nutrition center and training regiment to put 20lbs of "Muscle" on JHH. I'm sure Lenny Taylor, Miller. Chantz, Harvey, Allen Hayes, Ishmael, Elijah Roberts. Moss and Kelley are all HUGELY benefitting from!

In my Stephen A. voice- "I won't even mention the OL, LB, CB, WR, RB and Safeties!". Be happy, very happy We Canes freaks!

Advertisement
That's the 3-technique in Manny's defense. RJ McIntosh wasn't much bigger than that, if at all, during his time here.

JHH's problem is he doesn't have elite explosion for that size. D$ hit it on the head, he's a tweener at 270. If you're gonna play at 270, you gotta move like you're 250. He doesn't. He moves like he's 290, but he only weighs 270. Well, you gotta go one way or the other. The easiest thing is to bulk up and try to keep the athleticism you do have. Looks like that is the move here. But there's nothing wrong with playing a 3T at 270, provided you're technically sound and athletic as fvck.
RJ was 285-290

270 pound DT listed at 285 on the roster.. wonder why we were in the 50s in rush defense and can’t stop anyone on short yardage? There’s the answer.
44th in rush defense and yards per rush but your point remains.

Advertisement
Back