James Coley Continues to impress and improve.

I love Coley's persistence in refusing to acknowledge that the bubble screen is horrifically bad, and only has any modicum of success if the receiver makes a Herculean fake or two to avoid the gang of tacklers waiting for him.

It takes a special kind of idiocy to ignore our futility with this play and to just keep on calling it. Great job coach!!!

Advertisement
Well there lies the problem.

The core concepts of your offense should be good. If your core concepts are good and you're not just relying on scripts then your offense should be efficient all game.

Our first quarter offense looks like some **** that would average 40+ points per game. After that, we go back to our usual lame *** garbage.

he needs more experience as a play caller. the biggest problem though isn't him, its the ppl that call themselves defensive geniuses

It's not black and white. Just b/c the defensive coaching is the worst we've ever had doesn't mean Coley is acceptable. He's also bad, just not quite as maddeningly bad, although statistically our offense is worse than our defensive across the board.

lesser of the two evils lol. at least when the offense is out there, i know theyre capable of scoring. when the D is out there, i just count down the seconds and minutes until they kick it off to us

LOL I dont think you are following. I'm not propping up the defensive stats. They are atrocious. What I'm saying is that somehow the offense is actually WORSE by the numbers. That's how bad our offense is. In fact our 3rd down offense is historically the worst it has EVER BEEN. Let that sink in before we start saying Coley is anything but poor.

Nothing like a wide receiver screen on a crucial 3rd down late in the game. No coach should be safe on this staff.

Georgia Tech has blitzed on every play on third down on the goal line this season. They showed the blitz and that is why the jail break screen was called. If G tech had blitzed Herb walks in.

That is just football. Sometimes it is a chest match and G Tech picked the right call. If you are a coach you live with that. Get the 3 points and comeback the next series. The problem is there will not be a next series because the defense gives up a 13 play 6 min drive.

What the **** is a "chest match"? Golden and Donofrio in some kind if perverted wrestling match?

Coley is far from the issue , 13 play drives and 300 yards rushing is the issue.

Wrong. Coley is every bit part of the issue. You can try to lay it all on the D, but the Offense/Coley doesn't get a pass. He had his share of headscratchers and poor play calls with the snaps he managed to get. It doesn't absolve him.

Q: If the Offense had 20 more snaps, do you really believe, based on what Coley has shown this season, that even half those play calls would've been coherent?

Advertisement
I argee with that Coley shouldn't get any praise while the 3rd down conversation rate is so bad. He needs to go 40% for the remainder of the season.

Coley is not the issue. How can you judge the OC when they only ran 44 plays. The anchor on this team is Doritos.

He may not have been the largest "issue" but he's complicit too-- he can't/doesn't call a coherent game, his 3rd down call on the bubble screen was horrendous, and our third down conversion rate has every bit to do with his play calls-- at least 50%, the other 50% being execution.
He's as culpable as Dorito-- from game to game its just a matter of degrees as far as WHICH/WHO was worse, or who contributed MORE to the LOSS.
This team could have Bill Walsh as OC and we still be in the same position record wise. Doritos is the worst DC in canes history, it has been 4 years with this idiot and nothing has changed.

Coley is not the issue. How can you judge the OC when they only ran 44 plays. The anchor on this team is Doritos.

He may not have been the largest "issue" but he's complicit too-- he can't/doesn't call a coherent game, his 3rd down call on the bubble screen was horrendous, and our third down conversion rate has every bit to do with his play calls-- at least 50%, the other 50% being execution.
He's as culpable as Dorito-- from game to game its just a matter of degrees as far as WHICH/WHO was worse, or who contributed MORE to the LOSS.
This team could have Bill Walsh as OC and we still be in the same position record wise. Doritos is the worst DC in canes history, it has been 4 years with this idiot and nothing has changed.

I think you missed my entire point, or don't want to acknowledge it. I respectfully disagree with point 1 of your reply, and point 2, is obvious.

Advertisement
Take note folks, the assclown who started this fail of a thread claims the reason our offense is statistically the worst in UM history is b/c of Kaaya missing reads.

The issue I have with coley is his insistence on the bubble screens. We've got like 30 yds out of them over the last 4 games.

The issue I have with coley is his insistence on the bubble screens. We've got like 30 yds out of them over the last 4 games.

UM is also the worst reverse/end-around/flea-flicker team Ive ever seen. How bout just keeping it simple and find more conventional ways to get the ball to Duke and Dorsett?

Don't kid yourselves. Corley is a terrible coordinator. He might swing it as a QB coach.

Our 3rd down percentage was horrible again last night.

Did you really expect to have a reasonable 3rd percentage with a true Freshman QB? Defense has to help the offense out.

Advertisement
When you have Duke Johnson and a freshman QB, the running game should be setting up the pass. Unfortunately, we can't run the ball without Duke making a special play on his own and we continue to ask a lot out of Kayaa. It's just flat out incompetence.

Don't kid yourselves. Corley is a terrible coordinator. He might swing it as a QB coach.

Did you really expect to have a reasonable 3rd percentage with a true Freshman QB? Defense has to help the offense out.

How do you explain last years problems on 3rd down?

Not impressed with Coley at all. We scored 17 points.

They have played 5 games so far, and we scored the least amount of points against them than any team they have played.

I will say it again. Love him as a recruiter of SF, but should not be an OC of any major college team.

Scored 17 points because Miami's offense barely had any possessions. Miami's offense had over 7 yards per play last night.

No one is saying Coley is the greatest OC in the world. But he is at least growing and adapting and getting better. The game planning and play calling are night and from Louisville to now. He' showing growth and that is a positive when combined with his recruiting prowess. Sure, you can nitpick and find bad things here and there but you can do that with any coach, even the great ones.

Correct

You can see James Coley's growth. It is getting to the point where if we don't score on the first drive something is wrong. On the defensive side of the ball their seems to be no growth.

Advertisement

OH MY GOD the stupidity.....What does the defense have to do with 3rd down completion percentage??????????????????????????

Not impressed with Coley at all. We scored 17 points.

They have played 5 games so far, and we scored the least amount of points against them than any team they have played.

I will say it again. Love him as a recruiter of SF, but should not be an OC of any major college team.

Scored 17 points because Miami's offense barely had any possessions. Miami's offense had over 7 yards per play last night.

No one is saying Coley is the greatest OC in the world. But he is at least growing and adapting and getting better. The game planning and play calling are night and from Louisville to now. He' showing growth and that is a positive when combined with his recruiting prowess. Sure, you can nitpick and find bad things here and there but you can do that with any coach, even the great ones.

Correct

You can see James Coley's growth. It is getting to the point where if we don't score on the first drive something is wrong. On the defensive side of the ball their seems to be no growth.

We had the same number of possessions as GT did.

Nothing like a wide receiver screen on a crucial 3rd down late in the game. No coach should be safe on this staff.

Georgia Tech has blitzed on every play on third down on the goal line this season. They showed the blitz and that is why the jail break screen was called. If G tech had blitzed Herb walks in.

That is just football. Sometimes it is a chest match and G Tech picked the right call. If you are a coach you live with that. Get the 3 points and comeback the next series. The problem is there will not be a next series because the defense gives up a 13 play 6 min drive.

Really? I suppose you have every defensive goal line 3rd down they've run catalogued? Puuuuuu-leeeeeeze.

Your rationalization for defending Coley aside, that bubble screen is a horrible 3rd down call for ONE reason: The most basic football tenant is to ensure a first down, you must run a route where the receiver(s) are past the first down marker when the ball is caught. Otherwise, you leave too much to chance.

Not to mention that screen pass is so tired by now, every defense can recognize it when we line up, and our WRs don't seem able to reead which way to go when their blockers are in front of them, electing to go inside each time (where all the traffic is.) Just fundamentally a bad call. And Coley sucks. No more on the job training, he goes with the rest.

I disagree

We drove the ball **** near 90 yards on that drive. The OC thought he was going to catch G tech in a blitz but they didn't. No Biggie we got points on the board. We should be able to have confidence in our defense to go out and get a 3 and out or give the ball back quickly so we can score the next time.

The problem is that there is no next time. Defense gets gashed slowly chewing up clock and points.

Advertisement
Back