James Coley Continues to impress and improve.

Coley is a 80 IQ in a room full of ratards

Dead at this! LMFAO and so true.

Coley's offense is rated horrendously in nearly every measurable stat, and that's with a stud QB and one of the best talents in the country in Duke Johnson. He's a corch like the rest of em.

And as far as "oh but his recruiting....." I don't recall needing James Coley to recruit south florida back when we had actual coaches. Get real coaches who can win games and recruiting takes care of itself.

This. The guy sucks.

Advertisement
IMO, sebastian91 spotlighted the correct plays to fault. They are the same ones I was annoyed with, after watching Georgia Tech's vulnerable defense on every snap they've taken this season. Absolutely no reason to run a reverse, or the bomb on second down after we get the reversal on Duke's apparent fumble. Basic stuff rambles against Georgia Tech.

For years I've ranted on site after site regarding the overpowering stupidity of screen passes, especially on 3rd down. If you worked in a stats office and saw the numbers nationwide, and heard the entire office burst into laughter on every 3rd down screen call among dozens of monitors in the room, you would be ranting also, and never surprised at the ongoing failures. I hope we get rid of that tendency here to boost those designs in the offseason, regardless of coordinator. It is ignorance in March and masochism in October. If screens are working, it means anything will work. The opponent is incompetent. Somehow there's always reason to excuse those plays because fans are fascinated by screens and jealous of them. If the opponent successfully executes one, it feels like we've been tricked. We are desperate to trick them. Get rid of it. So many college defenses like Georgia Tech are downright awful on routine plays you don't need to rely on low percentage garbage like catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and forced to avoid multiple defenders before you even reach the point of an acceptable gain.

Coley doesn't run the ball often enough. I've detailed that repeatedly. Miami should average somewhere between 34 and 42 rushes per game as a warm weather balanced offense. Ideally, IMO, we would be in the middle of that range, roughly 38. This is based on studying various types of offenses for more than 25 years. You can see where we slot right now, slightly below 30 rushes per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort05.html

Last night we didn't run many plays. In prior weeks we dictated the first quarter yet still refused to run the ball. The tally was 16 passes and 8 runs in the first quarter against Duke. I was keeping track, as always. Ridiculous to run the ball so seldom against Duke. Your true freshman quarterback may look nice out there. He benefits from more runs, not fewer. Somehow that is not understood. We like to rip Georgia Tech and don't understand how they win so many games given their talent level. Big hint: high rushing attempt numbers enable it.

The 3rd down percentage is most troubling of all. I wish I could pinpoint one or two reasons. I cannot. Haven't looked for tendencies.

At least Coley does seem to adjust sensibly this season in some areas. I'm convinced he does evaluate his own issues. Last week we got away from play action under center. This week it showed up in significantly greater percentage, although not enough.

Great analysis, if Duke Johnson is your best player, why not just feed it to him more in the simplest way possible?

Feeding Duke the ball would require you to be ahead and the defense getting stops.

IMO, sebastian91 spotlighted the correct plays to fault. They are the same ones I was annoyed with, after watching Georgia Tech's vulnerable defense on every snap they've taken this season. Absolutely no reason to run a reverse, or the bomb on second down after we get the reversal on Duke's apparent fumble. Basic stuff rambles against Georgia Tech.

For years I've ranted on site after site regarding the overpowering stupidity of screen passes, especially on 3rd down. If you worked in a stats office and saw the numbers nationwide, and heard the entire office burst into laughter on every 3rd down screen call among dozens of monitors in the room, you would be ranting also, and never surprised at the ongoing failures. I hope we get rid of that tendency here to boost those designs in the offseason, regardless of coordinator. It is ignorance in March and masochism in October. If screens are working, it means anything will work. The opponent is incompetent. Somehow there's always reason to excuse those plays because fans are fascinated by screens and jealous of them. If the opponent successfully executes one, it feels like we've been tricked. We are desperate to trick them. Get rid of it. So many college defenses like Georgia Tech are downright awful on routine plays you don't need to rely on low percentage garbage like catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and forced to avoid multiple defenders before you even reach the point of an acceptable gain.

Coley doesn't run the ball often enough. I've detailed that repeatedly. Miami should average somewhere between 34 and 42 rushes per game as a warm weather balanced offense. Ideally, IMO, we would be in the middle of that range, roughly 38. This is based on studying various types of offenses for more than 25 years. You can see where we slot right now, slightly below 30 rushes per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort05.html

Last night we didn't run many plays. In prior weeks we dictated the first quarter yet still refused to run the ball. The tally was 16 passes and 8 runs in the first quarter against Duke. I was keeping track, as always. Ridiculous to run the ball so seldom against Duke. Your true freshman quarterback may look nice out there. He benefits from more runs, not fewer. Somehow that is not understood. We like to rip Georgia Tech and don't understand how they win so many games given their talent level. Big hint: high rushing attempt numbers enable it.

The 3rd down percentage is most troubling of all. I wish I could pinpoint one or two reasons. I cannot. Haven't looked for tendencies.

At least Coley does seem to adjust sensibly this season in some areas. I'm convinced he does evaluate his own issues. Last week we got away from play action under center. This week it showed up in significantly greater percentage, although not enough.

You can't run the ball when you are behind or your defense can't stops. It would be silly to run 40 times because you would get a repeat of the Louisville game. Running the number of time you suggest would be doing the opponent a favor. You would fail as an OC because you are game planning around stats and not your team.

If your defense is bad and has ranked at the bottom of almost every categories for four straight years it would be foolish not design a game plan around the run. You would need to score points and do it quickly.

Especially with Golden's strategy of allowing teams to bleed the clock by playing a passive defense.

Umm our offense is ranked at the bottom of every category, lower than our putrid D you mouth breathing piece of garbage. 127th out of 127 in 3rd down conversions. That is an independent stat, has nothing to do with the goddam D.

Umm our offense is ranked at the bottom of every category, lower than our putrid D you mouth breathing piece of garbage. 127th out of 127 in 3rd down conversions. That is an independent stat, has nothing to do with the goddam D.

It is cool to disagree but keep it civil. Don't ruin a really good site with all the name calling.

Advertisement

What are the rankings for other offensive categories besides 3rd down conversions?

True dat, but you don't have to be an ******* about it.

You can't run the ball when you are behind or your defense can't stops. It would be silly to run 40 times because you would get a repeat of the Louisville game. Running the number of time you suggest would be doing the opponent a favor. You would fail as an OC because you are game planning around stats and not your team.

If your defense is bad and has ranked at the bottom of almost every categories for four straight years it would be foolish not design a game plan around the run. You would need to score points and do it quickly.

Especially with Golden's strategy of allowing teams to bleed the clock by playing a passive defense.

Holy crap. You can't run the ball down 7 points in the 3rd Q?????? Duke and Yearby were AVERAGING 7 yards a run!!!! Don't you think it would be a good idea to sustain a drive with the running game for as long as possible to allow the defense to rest after getting nickel and dimed down the field for over 6 minutes? That's how this here game of football works (if you know wtf you're doing).

Great analysis, if Duke Johnson is your best player, why not just feed it to him more in the simplest way possible?

Feeding Duke the ball would require you to be ahead and the defense getting stops.

No, feeding Duke the ball is how you score and rest your defense. Duh.

Advertisement
I disagree

We drove the ball **** near 90 yards on that drive. The OC thought he was going to catch G tech in a blitz but they didn't. No Biggie we got points on the board. We should be able to have confidence in our defense to go out and get a 3 and out or give the ball back quickly so we can score the next time.

The problem is that there is no next time. Defense gets gashed slowly chewing up clock and points.

Explain the 2nd down call before that stupid WR screen. Keep in mind that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry.

Are you seriously aruguing a play when the offense averaged over 7 yards a play? No one will call a perfect game. Our offense again came out fast and jumped to a 14-7 lead just for our defense to allow 6 min 13 play drives. Imagine what could have been if they got a few stops. UM could have jumped out to a huge lead.

Explain it, please. Duke and Yearby are averaging over 7 yds per carry. 2nd and 7, pass to D'Mauri Jones (D'Mauri Jones!!!). 3rd and 7, WR screen to Coley, which has not worked all year. Did I mention that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry?

Jones wasn't the first read on that play. He was the third read at least. You got a problem with throwing the ball? Fine. Don't act like Jones was the primary target.

Why was he even on the field?

Thru 6 games:

Yards per game on offense = 394 (vs. 500 through 6 games last year)
Third down conversions = 22.5% (vs. 41.5% last year)
First downs = 19.5 (vs. 21 last year)

Where is this improvement?

Teams are limiting are limiting the amount of possessions the O can have. Teams are bleeding the clock while the O sits on the bench. I would rather attack on defense and allow a quick score.

Advertisement
He gets 1,246 bonus points from me for identifying and signing Kaaya.

I'd be confident in the future of our offense with Coley if he can keep landing QBs like that. Allison looks like a monster, too.

Also, thee would be no Yearby at UM without Coley.

I am pretty sure he was a diving force in convincing Golden to offer Berrios.

Coley may not be a top tier X and O oc but he can recruit and evolve his play calling.

We can win a national title with the right HC and coley as the OC.

Also responsible for flipping Stacy Coley from FSU to the U

That's conventional wisdom mythology. Sounds like someone who has been brainwashed by Mike Leach. High rushing attempt numbers cleanse an offense and enable greater point production. They make for a more physical team overall.

Are you seriously comparing the Louisville game to Georgia Tech? Unbelievable. Louisville is a defensive juggernaut, allowing only 4 yards per play last year and this year. I emphasized that number before the bowl game last season and also when we played them this year. Somehow there were predictions here of Miami racking up big points in that game, simply because we had revenge. Oh yes, lovely revenge.

We haven't run the ball often enough for several years. Fisch was lousy in that category also. The only recent seasons with sufficient number of rushes were 2009 and 2010, the Mark Whipple years. He was easily the best offensive coordinator we've had lately. Perhaps not coincidentally, those were also the two years with Damien Berry in a prominent role. He was a bigger no nonsense type than anyone we've had recently. Whipple fed him the ball patiently. Just too **** bad we didn't have a quarterback who could execute the deep ball in that offense. One bomb after another would break wide open but Jacory's passes fluttered for an interception. It was maddening to watch from the stands. The design was perfect, and set up via plenty of rushes preceding.

Holy crap. You can't run the ball down 7 points in the 3rd Q?????? Duke and Yearby were AVERAGING 7 yards a run!!!! Don't you think it would be a good idea to sustain a drive with the running game for as long as possible to allow the defense to rest after getting nickel and dimed down the field for over 6 minutes? That's how this here game of football works (if you know wtf you're doing).

So we have to slow down the offense and not score because of the defense? Do you really want to get to that point?

Advertisement

So we have to slow down the offense and not score because of the defense? Do you really want to get to that point?

<facepalm> NO! For crying out loud, we were AVERAGING 7 yards per rush, man! GT could NOT stop Duke and Yearby. Feeding them would've served multiple purposes. Scoring AND resting the defense. When you're averaging 7 yds per rush, why would you freaking throw the ball on 2nd down or call double reverses on 1st down? That's stupid. Pound, pound, pound, pound...then pound some more. When they start selling out, you bust them over the top with play action. That's a winning strategy against a team that can't match up physically. Sheesh, I feel like I'm arguing with DBC over whether he was attacked by a freaking bear.

Advertisement
Back