James Coley Continues to impress and improve.

Not impressed with Coley at all. We scored 17 points.

They have played 5 games so far, and we scored the least amount of points against them than any team they have played.

I will say it again. Love him as a recruiter of SF, but should not be an OC of any major college team.

Scored 17 points because Miami's offense barely had any possessions. Miami's offense had over 7 yards per play last night.

No one is saying Coley is the greatest OC in the world. But he is at least growing and adapting and getting better. The game planning and play calling are night and from Louisville to now. He' showing growth and that is a positive when combined with his recruiting prowess. Sure, you can nitpick and find bad things here and there but you can do that with any coach, even the great ones.

Correct

You can see James Coley's growth. It is getting to the point where if we don't score on the first drive something is wrong. On the defensive side of the ball their seems to be no growth.

We had the same number of possessions as GT did.

lol..that is because they Held the ball for over 47 mins.

Advertisement
Again, for the 80th time, Miami's offensive statistics are some of the worst in the country, and on 3rd down the very worst, and the worst in the history of the program. But you are impressed by this guys. Do you want to kiss him as well? It's weird.

Not impressed with Coley at all. We scored 17 points.

They have played 5 games so far, and we scored the least amount of points against them than any team they have played.

I will say it again. Love him as a recruiter of SF, but should not be an OC of any major college team.

Scored 17 points because Miami's offense barely had any possessions. Miami's offense had over 7 yards per play last night.

No one is saying Coley is the greatest OC in the world. But he is at least growing and adapting and getting better. The game planning and play calling are night and from Louisville to now. He' showing growth and that is a positive when combined with his recruiting prowess. Sure, you can nitpick and find bad things here and there but you can do that with any coach, even the great ones.

Correct

You can see James Coley's growth. It is getting to the point where if we don't score on the first drive something is wrong. On the defensive side of the ball their seems to be no growth.

It was 41 minutes, not 47. Our TOP sucked because our great OC can't figure out how to get the occasional first down. Pick up a first down; get a new set of downs - runs the clock - gets you more plays. See how that works?

Nothing like a wide receiver screen on a crucial 3rd down late in the game. No coach should be safe on this staff.

Georgia Tech has blitzed on every play on third down on the goal line this season. They showed the blitz and that is why the jail break screen was called. If G tech had blitzed Herb walks in.

That is just football. Sometimes it is a chest match and G Tech picked the right call. If you are a coach you live with that. Get the 3 points and comeback the next series. The problem is there will not be a next series because the defense gives up a 13 play 6 min drive.

Really? I suppose you have every defensive goal line 3rd down they've run catalogued? Puuuuuu-leeeeeeze.

Your rationalization for defending Coley aside, that bubble screen is a horrible 3rd down call for ONE reason: The most basic football tenant is to ensure a first down, you must run a route where the receiver(s) are past the first down marker when the ball is caught. Otherwise, you leave too much to chance.

Not to mention that screen pass is so tired by now, every defense can recognize it when we line up, and our WRs don't seem able to reead which way to go when their blockers are in front of them, electing to go inside each time (where all the traffic is.) Just fundamentally a bad call. And Coley sucks. No more on the job training, he goes with the rest.

I disagree

We drove the ball **** near 90 yards on that drive. The OC thought he was going to catch G tech in a blitz but they didn't. No Biggie we got points on the board. We should be able to have confidence in our defense to go out and get a 3 and out or give the ball back quickly so we can score the next time.

The problem is that there is no next time. Defense gets gashed slowly chewing up clock and points.

Explain the 2nd down call before that stupid WR screen. Keep in mind that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry.

Correct

It was 41 minutes, not 47. Our TOP sucked because our great OC can't figure out how to get the occasional first down. Pick up a first down; get a new set of downs - runs the clock - gets you more plays. See how that works?

Miami's offense did not touch the ball in the 3rd until almost the 7 min mark. This puts an enormous amount of pressure on the offense because you are looking at only having 3 to 4 possession total for the entire half. You are now asking your offense to score on every possession because your defense is not only allowing the clock to grind, they are give up scores also.

If an OC utilized your strategy there would not be enough time left.

Advertisement
Nothing like a wide receiver screen on a crucial 3rd down late in the game. No coach should be safe on this staff.

Georgia Tech has blitzed on every play on third down on the goal line this season. They showed the blitz and that is why the jail break screen was called. If G tech had blitzed Herb walks in.

That is just football. Sometimes it is a chest match and G Tech picked the right call. If you are a coach you live with that. Get the 3 points and comeback the next series. The problem is there will not be a next series because the defense gives up a 13 play 6 min drive.

Really? I suppose you have every defensive goal line 3rd down they've run catalogued? Puuuuuu-leeeeeeze.

Your rationalization for defending Coley aside, that bubble screen is a horrible 3rd down call for ONE reason: The most basic football tenant is to ensure a first down, you must run a route where the receiver(s) are past the first down marker when the ball is caught. Otherwise, you leave too much to chance.

Not to mention that screen pass is so tired by now, every defense can recognize it when we line up, and our WRs don't seem able to reead which way to go when their blockers are in front of them, electing to go inside each time (where all the traffic is.) Just fundamentally a bad call. And Coley sucks. No more on the job training, he goes with the rest.

I disagree

We drove the ball **** near 90 yards on that drive. The OC thought he was going to catch G tech in a blitz but they didn't. No Biggie we got points on the board. We should be able to have confidence in our defense to go out and get a 3 and out or give the ball back quickly so we can score the next time.

The problem is that there is no next time. Defense gets gashed slowly chewing up clock and points.

Explain the 2nd down call before that stupid WR screen. Keep in mind that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry.

Are you seriously aruguing a play when the offense averaged over 7 yards a play? No one will call a perfect game. Our offense again came out fast and jumped to a 14-7 lead just for our defense to allow 6 min 13 play drives. Imagine what could have been if they got a few stops. UM could have jumped out to a huge lead.

Duke got FOUR carries in the second half against a horrid run defense that he gashed in the first half. Why?

The offense and the play calling for it really looked desperate in the 2nd half. They looked like they were pressing. Who knows. Maybe I was just sitting there pressing because I was watching the defense get the ball shoved down their throats for consecutive long, controlling drives.

I'm in disbelief over what I saw last night.

I think it was pressing due to the circumstances. edit: I don't really agree with the premise anyway.

You drive 90 yards and kick a field goal. Thats after sitting on the sidelines for nearly 7 minutes as the opposing team scores a TD. You watch your defense give up another TD and next time you get the ball back its already desperation time. Down by two scores. You don't score on the second possession of the second half after a sack and the game is over. I'm not crushing the offensive playcalling in this game.

4 full possessions in the first half. One ends on a drop/good play by a DB. The other an INT where the QB missed a throw in the red zone with multiple guys open.

The defense's general futility has made it so every play on offense matters. So even the WR screen which probably gets us at minimum 5 yards an attempt on average is deemed a bad play.

Last edited:
Don't kid yourselves. Corley is a terrible coordinator. He might swing it as a QB coach.

Our 3rd down percentage was horrible again last night.

Did you really expect to have a reasonable 3rd percentage with a true Freshman QB? Defense has to help the offense out.

How do you explain last years problems on 3rd down?

Did Morris ever throw a check down in his career?

Ah I see so it's always the players fault for the offensive woes. Yet on defense I see you have no issue realizing the coaches are inept. Are you a relative of Coley's or just one of these 1920's era dudes who roots for guys of your same ethnicity? It's ******* PATHETIC bro.

Advertisement

I disagree

Are you seriously aruguing a play when the offense averaged over 7 yards a play? No one will call a perfect game. Our offense again came out fast and jumped to a 14-7 lead just for our defense to allow 6 min 13 play drives. Imagine what could have been if they got a few stops. UM could have jumped out to a huge lead.

Explain it, please. Duke and Yearby are averaging over 7 yds per carry. 2nd and 7, pass to D'Mauri Jones (D'Mauri Jones!!!). 3rd and 7, WR screen to Coley, which has not worked all year. Did I mention that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry?

Coley is just as bad as D'onofrio, lol at anybody defending this guy. I think it's clear that Morris cannon arm bailed us out quite often last year, now that he has a QB that can make every throw it's obvious his offense has no direction other then bad tunnel screens. His playcalling is some of the worst in major college football. He did handpick Kaaya though so maybe he has a eye for identifying talent but this guy needs to be kept far far away from whoever calls the plays. God **** no wonder Jimbo didn't let him call plays, he's bad.

I disagree

Explain it, please. Duke and Yearby are averaging over 7 yds per carry. 2nd and 7, pass to D'Mauri Jones (D'Mauri Jones!!!). 3rd and 7, WR screen to Coley, which has not worked all year. Did I mention that Duke and Yearby were averaging over 7 yds per carry?

Jones wasn't the first read on that play. He was the third read at least. You got a problem with throwing the ball? Fine. Don't act like Jones was the primary target.

Coley's offense has managed roughly (TEN, X) 10 second half touchdowns in almost 2 effin years. It may be less than that, I've not verified defensive or ST TD's...of which there may be 1.

Advertisement
Coley's offense has managed roughly (TEN, X) 10 second half touchdowns in almost 2 effin years. It may be less than that, I've not verified defensive or ST TD's...of which there may be 1.

WOW.......putrid number. No sane person can look at Coley and think he is a good coordinator.

My main issue with Coley is his lack of commitment to the running game. Our 3rd down struggles are a direct result of being off schedule and forced into difficult, predictable 3rd down situations. We have two dynamic RBs and a solid run-blocking offensive line. That should be our identity. We could have run up and down the field all night against GT. As bad as the defense is, I honestly believe we could be 6-0 right now had Coley gone into this season fully commited to being a run first offense.

Last edited:
IMO, sebastian91 spotlighted the correct plays to fault. They are the same ones I was annoyed with, after watching Georgia Tech's vulnerable defense on every snap they've taken this season. Absolutely no reason to run a reverse, or the bomb on second down after we get the reversal on Duke's apparent fumble. Basic stuff rambles against Georgia Tech.

For years I've ranted on site after site regarding the overpowering stupidity of screen passes, especially on 3rd down. If you worked in a stats office and saw the numbers nationwide, and heard the entire office burst into laughter on every 3rd down screen call among dozens of monitors in the room, you would be ranting also, and never surprised at the ongoing failures. I hope we get rid of that tendency here to boost those designs in the offseason, regardless of coordinator. It is ignorance in March and masochism in October. If screens are working, it means anything will work. The opponent is incompetent. Somehow there's always reason to excuse those plays because fans are fascinated by screens and jealous of them. If the opponent successfully executes one, it feels like we've been tricked. We are desperate to trick them. Get rid of it. So many college defenses like Georgia Tech are downright awful on routine plays you don't need to rely on low percentage garbage like catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and forced to avoid multiple defenders before you even reach the point of an acceptable gain.

Coley doesn't run the ball often enough. I've detailed that repeatedly. Miami should average somewhere between 34 and 42 rushes per game as a warm weather balanced offense. Ideally, IMO, we would be in the middle of that range, roughly 38. This is based on studying various types of offenses for more than 25 years. You can see where we slot right now, slightly below 30 rushes per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort05.html

Last night we didn't run many plays. In prior weeks we dictated the first quarter yet still refused to run the ball. The tally was 16 passes and 8 runs in the first quarter against Duke. I was keeping track, as always. Ridiculous to run the ball so seldom against Duke. Your true freshman quarterback may look nice out there. He benefits from more runs, not fewer. Somehow that is not understood. We like to rip Georgia Tech and don't understand how they win so many games given their talent level. Big hint: high rushing attempt numbers enable it.

The 3rd down percentage is most troubling of all. I wish I could pinpoint one or two reasons. I cannot. Haven't looked for tendencies.

At least Coley does seem to adjust sensibly this season in some areas. I'm convinced he does evaluate his own issues. Last week we got away from play action under center. This week it showed up in significantly greater percentage, although not enough.

Advertisement
Coley seems to be good at scripting the first 15-20 plays as we score early in the game. Once the other team makes an adjustment we have trouble moving the ball. I don't have a problem with him though. Offensive playcalling is different than defense. When the o makes a good play the call was good. When the o fails it's cause the call was bad. There have been many bad qbs make good ocs look bad. Not saying Kaaya is bad but he is what he is at this point. A talented kid who makes a ton of mistakes.

IMO, sebastian91 spotlighted the correct plays to fault. They are the same ones I was annoyed with, after watching Georgia Tech's vulnerable defense on every snap they've taken this season. Absolutely no reason to run a reverse, or the bomb on second down after we get the reversal on Duke's apparent fumble. Basic stuff rambles against Georgia Tech.

For years I've ranted on site after site regarding the overpowering stupidity of screen passes, especially on 3rd down. If you worked in a stats office and saw the numbers nationwide, and heard the entire office burst into laughter on every 3rd down screen call among dozens of monitors in the room, you would be ranting also, and never surprised at the ongoing failures. I hope we get rid of that tendency here to boost those designs in the offseason, regardless of coordinator. It is ignorance in March and masochism in October. If screens are working, it means anything will work. The opponent is incompetent. Somehow there's always reason to excuse those plays because fans are fascinated by screens and jealous of them. If the opponent successfully executes one, it feels like we've been tricked. We are desperate to trick them. Get rid of it. So many college defenses like Georgia Tech are downright awful on routine plays you don't need to rely on low percentage garbage like catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and forced to avoid multiple defenders before you even reach the point of an acceptable gain.

Coley doesn't run the ball often enough. I've detailed that repeatedly. Miami should average somewhere between 34 and 42 rushes per game as a warm weather balanced offense. Ideally, IMO, we would be in the middle of that range, roughly 38. This is based on studying various types of offenses for more than 25 years. You can see where we slot right now, slightly below 30 rushes per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort05.html

Last night we didn't run many plays. In prior weeks we dictated the first quarter yet still refused to run the ball. The tally was 16 passes and 8 runs in the first quarter against Duke. I was keeping track, as always. Ridiculous to run the ball so seldom against Duke. Your true freshman quarterback may look nice out there. He benefits from more runs, not fewer. Somehow that is not understood. We like to rip Georgia Tech and don't understand how they win so many games given their talent level. Big hint: high rushing attempt numbers enable it.

The 3rd down percentage is most troubling of all. I wish I could pinpoint one or two reasons. I cannot. Haven't looked for tendencies.

At least Coley does seem to adjust sensibly this season in some areas. I'm convinced he does evaluate his own issues. Last week we got away from play action under center. This week it showed up in significantly greater percentage, although not enough.

Great analysis, if Duke Johnson is your best player, why not just feed it to him more in the simplest way possible?

When I saw this thread title I was certain this thread was either a goof or a bump of an older thread for the purpose of goofing on the OP. Coley does a nice job of scripting the opening series or two but then struggles to counter once the opposition makes adjustments and the offense sputters for the rest of the game. He is not a good OC. With that said, the offense was not the problem last night. They barely had the ball.

Advertisement
Back