Jalen Rivers

Advertisement
scheme is More important than oline talent. You can scheme around talent deficiencies in the right system. You can’t do that with the way enos calls plays however..

This tweet illustrates that even if you have great offensive line talent, it doesn’t guarantee that you will have some potent offense. You need the right SCHEME as it can mitigate some things on the oline

Well he was also hurt if I remember right too, Yeah I think you make some points. I have never been a huge believer that the majority of any given recruiting class should be ready to play that fall. Most kids no matter how talented are gonna need time to develop and adjust.

my question was stemming more from respected posters perspective that the kid shouldn’t ever play AGAIN. I was wondering if they Know more about the situation then is generally revealed.
He’s a good kid and has the ability to become someone good. It’s just a lack of developed physical strength and understanding of the position at this point.

We are so young and poorly coached it’s hard to tell what we have. Offensive line is an age position.

Scaife looks like a keeper to me. Gaynor is a solid veteran for two more years. The freshmen could go either way. They showed flashes of athleticism but were often unplayable. It’s a big off-season for them.

Michigan and Florida would be the teams to emulate. Michigan was 115th in sack rate, replaced their OL coach, got older and jumped to 54th. Florida was 123rd in sack rate, replaced their OL coach, got a friendlier offensive system, got older and jumped to 31st.

I’m not even setting my sights that high. My minimum expectation is protecting like we did for the six-game stretch after VT. We would’ve been ranked forty spots higher than we are now. Continue to get smarter, more cohesive and stronger and we will move in the right direction.
The sack rate would've dropped 30 spots just by eliminating play action on 3rd and long.

What happened with Hebert L ? He was highly regarded coming out and now he shouldn’t play another down ? I was excited for this guy to contribute.
Terrible footwork & never had the proper functional upper body strength.

I always wanted Herbert at Guard coming out of HS, for whatever reason both coaching staffs kept putting him at RT, but he's never had the ability to play Tackle, he's always been incredibly slow footed & can't anchor.

I watched Sam Brooks embarrass him as a Sophomore in HS when Herb was a Senior, he was running around him off the edge having Herb look like a turnstile back when MNW played AH in 2016. AH won the game, but the pass rushers for MNW was in the backfield the entire game because Herbert couldn't block to save his life.

He's just always been a bad tackle. He needed to redefine his body physically when we got him & unfortunately I don't think he did & he's been playing out of position his whole career so he's never really developed the way he should. Plus he's just not strong enough.

Advertisement
Terrible footwork & never had the proper functional upper body strength.

I always wanted Herbert at Guard coming out of HS, for whatever reason both coaching staffs kept putting him at RT, but he's never had the ability to play Tackle, he's always been incredibly slow footed & can't anchor.

I watched Sam Brooks embarrass him as a Sophomore in HS when Herb was a Senior, he was running around him off the edge having Herb look like a turnstile back when MNW played AH in 2016. AH won the game, but the pass rushers for MNW was in the backfield the entire game because Herbert couldn't block to save his life.

He's just always been a bad tackle. He needed to redefine his body physically when we got him & unfortunately I don't think he did & he's been playing out of position his whole career so he's never really developed the way he should. Plus he's just not strong enough.
So our inability to recruit or develop OT's is forcing staff to play kids out of position and not to their strengths. I wonder if this is a point that is getting used against us on the recruiting trail ?

Advertisement
Back