Jalen Rivers

Advertisement
We need to hit the Portal for a Grad Transfer OT & sit Zion on the bench, he should be redshirted & allowed to physically develop. He wasn't ready to start this season & I highly doubt he will be next year either.

He's the biggest liability on the line, everyone focuses on Donaldson but Zion has the worst film of any of the OL's who started all year, he got beat so bad in just about every game it was **** near child abuse.

Herbert should never play another snap at this program, he's not depth, he can't block & is dead weight, should've found a replacement for him in this class, but unfortunately Botch Berry is a shít recruiter.

The starting 5 should be:

LT - Grad Transfer
LG - Jakai Clark
C - Corey Gaynor
RG - John Campbell
RT - Delone Scaife

What happened with Hebert L ? He was highly regarded coming out and now he shouldn’t play another down ? I was excited for this guy to contribute.

Maybe not but i will feel more comfortable with Rivers at right tackle if he shows he’s capable and scaife at left tackle than having Zion start next year at left tackle. Nelson needs a redshirt year imo
No need for a redshirt year after the baptism by fire that occurred instead

For this line to truly be serviceable in Enos' trash offensive scheme Zion needs to step up and Rivers needs to earn that RT spot. Scaife is not suited to be a tackle and wouldn't be at any other P5 school with depth on their line. Best case scenario for 1st team OL is left to right: Zion, Campbell, Gaynor, Clark, and Rivers.

Advertisement
For this line to truly be serviceable in Enos' trash offensive scheme Zion needs to step up and Rivers needs to earn that RT spot. Scaife is not suited to be a tackle and wouldn't be at any other P5 school with depth on their line. Best case scenario for 1st team OL is left to right: Zion, Campbell, Gaynor, Clark, and Rivers.
Stop with this about Scaife , issiah Wynn was the same size as scaife and started at uga. He’s our BEST option at tackle. He absolutely can play it

Stop with this about Scaife , issiah Wynn was the same size as scaife and started at uga. He’s our BEST option at tackle. He absolutely can play it
If Rivers turns out to be legit he's the RT. And if we can get a real Grad transfer LT you can plug him into Zion's spot and let him develop. Wynn is the exception not the norm, Scaife is not an ideal tackle period.

We need to develop the guys we have and stop waiting for saviors.

The OL was awful last year. Don't misunderstand me. But there was a six-game stretch starting against UVA where they showed significant improvement. Despite facing some top rushes, their sack rate was down at 7.1%. That's still below average, but workable (Ohio State and Penn State were worse, for comparison).

Rivers is a great prospect. He is smart, powerful and huge. But it's not a lock he will be able to deal with speed at tackle and it may take some time. The only way our OL will improve will be if our core, young unit makes strides and develops. I think it's possible and it's happened before with many young lines.

Advertisement

The OL was awful last year. Don't misunderstand me. But there was a six-game stretch starting against UVA where they showed significant improvement. Despite facing some top rushes, their sack rate was down at 7.1%. That's still below average, but workable (Ohio State and Penn State were worse, for comparison).

Rivers is a great prospect. He is smart, powerful and huge. But it's not a lock he will be able to deal with speed at tackle and it may take some time. The only way our OL will improve will be if our core, young unit makes strides and develops. I think it's possible and it's happened before with many young lines.

Before we wait for saviors or even develop the guys we have...we need GUYS. We simply do not have GUYS that are functional Power 5 football players on the offensive line. I'm all about trying to develop what we have, but we don't have enough to develop and experiment with until we get the right combination.

Did they improve last year? Yes. But the unit - collectively - started so low that going from worst OL in the country to bottom 30 OL in the country doesn't tell any of us much and I don't see much that tells us we'll be better than Bottom 30 next year.

IMO Manny needs to have the QBs live all spring. After a full season we are still where we were in April. Time to mix things up. What you think?

IMO Manny needs to have the QBs live all spring. After a full season we are still where we were in April. Time to mix things up. What you think?

I agree. Unless you know your starting QB is a star. Practice should be live bullets

Before we wait for saviors or even develop the guys we have...we need GUYS. We simply do not have GUYS that are functional Power 5 football players on the offensive line. I'm all about trying to develop what we have, but we don't have enough to develop and experiment with until we get the right combination.

Did they improve last year? Yes. But the unit - collectively - started so low that going from worst OL in the country to bottom 30 OL in the country doesn't tell any of us much and I don't see much that tells us we'll be better than Bottom 30 next year.

We are so young and poorly coached it’s hard to tell what we have. Offensive line is an age position.

Scaife looks like a keeper to me. Gaynor is a solid veteran for two more years. The freshmen could go either way. They showed flashes of athleticism but were often unplayable. It’s a big off-season for them.

Michigan and Florida would be the teams to emulate. Michigan was 115th in sack rate, replaced their OL coach, got older and jumped to 54th. Florida was 123rd in sack rate, replaced their OL coach, got a friendlier offensive system, got older and jumped to 31st.

I’m not even setting my sights that high. My minimum expectation is protecting like we did for the six-game stretch after VT. We would’ve been ranked forty spots higher than we are now. Continue to get smarter, more cohesive and stronger and we will move in the right direction.

Advertisement
What happened with Hebert L ? He was highly regarded coming out and now he shouldn’t play another down ? I was excited for this guy to contribute.
What happened is, you’re reading a board that slams us for starting a freshman, because he wasn’t allowed to develop mentally and physically. At the same time, this same board, will give up on a kid because he payed before he developed mentally and physically and didn’t perform like someone who had. “Easy” right? It’s the CULTURE of the board. Doesn’t matter if we’re talking about kids or coaches. Everyone is wrong and sucks always. Emotional maturity when posting is frowned upon.

Dangerous with a weak OL and good rushers.

I could see it for a scrimmage or two. We have film on Kosi and Jarren with bullets so it’s different than year’s past. TVD and Matocha would be the guys to watch.

What happened is, you’re reading a board that slams us for starting a freshman, because he wasn’t allowed to develop mentally and physically. At the same time, this same board, will give up on a kid because he payed before he developed mentally and physically and didn’t perform like someone who had. “Easy” right? It’s the CULTURE of the board. Doesn’t matter if we’re talking about kids or coaches. Everyone is wrong and sucks always. Emotional maturity when posting is frowned upon.
Well he was also hurt if I remember right too, Yeah I think you make some points. I have never been a huge believer that the majority of any given recruiting class should be ready to play that fall. Most kids no matter how talented are gonna need time to develop and adjust.

my question was stemming more from respected posters perspective that the kid shouldn’t ever play AGAIN. I was wondering if they Know more about the situation then is generally revealed.

Advertisement
Dangerous with a weak OL and good rushers.

I could see it for a scrimmage or two. We have film on Kosi and Jarren with bullets so it’s different than year’s past. TVD and Matocha would be the guys to watch.
Dmoney what’s your take on Hebert is he still salvageable at this point ?

Advertisement
Back