Jalen Rivers commits to Miami

He wants to play OT according to the gaytors.
I wonder with his basketball background if he could play tackle? He's right on point with NFL height and weight at tackle. Long for great reach on DE's. It's a matter of whether he can bend. He should have excellent footwork with his basketball background. Regardless, a great addition to the O-Line.

Advertisement
Welcome, you’re gonna love the oranges on South Beach.

Advertisement
I think they'll try him at RT.
Could be, but I dont put much stock in where they try kids. We try kids wherever needed based on their recruitment, or our own desperation. If we don’t sign two (other) good tackle prospects this cycle, he’ll certainly start as a tackle. But IMO his future is inside.

Rivers can play tackle, IMO. Certainly RT. Just think he’s best suited for OG.
He’s a tackle for me all day with a chance at being a solid Left tackle. On our current roster who is currently more equipped to play tackle than him in terms of having all of the measurements and necessary bend ability? Herbert, Campbell , Nelson etc? I’d take rivers over them at tackle.

Advertisement
He’s a tackle for me all day with a chance at being a solid Left tackle. On our current roster who is currently more equipped to play tackle than him in terms of having all of the measurements and necessary bend ability? Herbert, Campbell , Nelson etc? I’d take rivers over them at tackle.
If you limit the discussion to our current roster, he may be a better left tackle option than we have. That’s not saying much, however, and not a reasonable way to frame the issue. The question is what is Rivers best position. Obviously if our staff keeps ****ting the bed on OL recruiting, we’ll play who we have wherever we need them. But hopefully we will manage to recruit other talented options at tackle, so the Rivers discussion can be about his best fit more than our desperation need areas.

Advertisement
Yeah, I don't get this guard talk for Rivers. Physically, he has the profile of an OT: 6'6, 330 lbs. Also, he plays basketball. He obviously has good footwork and athleticism to at least start his career on the outside.
He is a big, thick, powerful kid who can move and finish, and I think he would make a heck of an OG. He could certainly play OT. I am unsold on his lateral quickness for LT given size and body type, and just what I recall from clips I’ve seen. Just my $0.02.

Advertisement
If you limit the discussion to our current roster, he may be a better left tackle option than we have. That’s not saying much, however, and not a reasonable way to frame the issue. The question is what is Rivers best position. Obviously if our staff keeps ****ting the bed on OL recruiting, we’ll play who we have wherever we need them. But hopefully we will manage to recruit other talented options at tackle, so the Rivers discussion can be about his best fit more than our desperation need areas.
and that’s fine but trying to predetermine if he’s just a guard at this stage given his atheltic profile( multiple sport athlete, elite size, not much bad weight, pretty good testing numbers) as well as showing that he can actually block edge rushers and ability to bend is too early imo. Won’t know what he’s best suited for until he gets to Miami ultimately. Excited to see how he fares because we do need someone with that size at tackle.

and that’s fine but trying to predetermine if he’s just a guard at this stage given his atheltic profile( multiple sport athlete, elite size, not much bad weight, pretty good testing numbers) as well as showing that he can actually block edge rushers and ability to bend is too early imo. Won’t know what he’s best suited for until he gets to Miami ultimately. Excited to see how he fares because we do need someone with that size at tackle.
No one is trying to predetermine anything. I don’t even know what it means for you to say that, considering none of us get to ‘determine it’, in any case. We are just discussing a new recruit we’re all positive on, and a few folks, D$ included, seem to think his best fit may be at OG. You’re free to disagree, have no view, whatever, but no need to try to turn it into a dispute. Think what you want.

No one is trying to predetermine anything. I don’t even know what it means for you to say that, considering none of us get to ‘determine it’, in any case. We are just discussing a new recruit we’re all positive on, and a few folks, D$ included, seem to think his best fit may be at OG. You’re free to disagree, have no view, whatever, but no need to try to turn it into a dispute. Think what you want.
It’s not even a dispute man , we good lol. Just want to see how he does first at tackle that’s all

Advertisement
Back