Jalen Duren

I'm definitely not a Bentley driving heavy hitter, but I don't understand why a kid would chose UM over some other school for a $6,000 stipend.
Let's see, you get to play in a major metropolitan city, where diversity isn't a buzzword, you will actually not be dealing with living in bumblef**k USA. The school plays in a major conference, some would argue the best overall basketball conference in the country. There's plenty to like about the Miami program, especially for a kid that may only stay for one year.

The 6k is more of a sweetener, Duren may think that coming in, and performing at Miami may get him more eyeballs, more attention than just being the latest guy to ball out at Kentucky. He may want to play with a coach he is comfortable with, and feels as if balling out for his old coach may help said coach climb the ladder. It's a lot of things at play, and no one truly knows what will win out. It's obvious that playing in a major city appeals to Duren, hence why Memphis and Miami are both on the list.

Advertisement
Still was a disappointment here in his one year. If we want to be honest, he didn't come close to living up to the hype.
Lonnie didn't have a chance to really get settled until later.in the year, he got hurt early and him and Bruce Brown were never able to really grow into a unit. What's funny is that you saw him take over and flash that talent, once he got settled.

Let's see, you get to play in a major metropolitan city, where diversity isn't a buzzword, you will actually not be dealing with living in bumblef**k USA. The school plays in a major conference, some would argue the best overall basketball conference in the country. There's plenty to like about the Miami program, especially for a kid that may only stay for one year.

The 6k is more of a sweetener, Duren may think that coming in, and performing at Miami may get him more eyeballs, more attention than just being the latest guy to ball out at Kentucky. He may want to play with a coach he is comfortable with, and feels as if balling out for his old coach may help said coach climb the ladder. It's a lot of things at play, and no one truly knows what will win out. It's obvious that playing in a major city appeals to Duren, hence why Memphis and Miami are both on the list.
My post wasn't specifically about Duren. It was a general comment about recruiting.

Advertisement
If Duren goes to Kentucky, his offensive game will not blossom like it could. Needs reps. Idk if it will grow at Memphis/Miami/Gleague, but it definitely won't at UK.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This board is a surefire cure for any kind of happiness or optimism. I've never seen a fanbase mope about an opportunity like this. There is a good chance that this program can land a legit player that can provide much needed talent at a position of crucial need, and people are falling all over themselves trying to find ways to **** on the program and the player. Do I believe that Duren will sign with Miami? The odds indicate that it will be extremely close, but the school is legit in the hunt. L and his staff are doing EVERYTHING possible to land him, that's all one could ask from this staff in regards to recruiting. You leave no stone unturned, especially when kids like this are showing legit interest. I'd also like to see what Plan B is, and I hope there is one.

We all understand that is a huge year for the program, huge strides must be made, those three consecutive NCAA appearances feel like forever ago. That said, I'm convinced that there are a lot of people on this board that are so in love with the smell of their own farts, they would actively root against Duren signing, just so they can continue to whine. We should all be rooting for this to happen, because if it does, this team goes from NIT, to team that can make legit noise(Provided Duren reclassifies)
I myself am concerned that the staff is going all in on Duren without any backup plans.

Advertisement
You want to protect yourself from disappointment, but you want to be optimistic about this happening. If this happens, it's a huge deal. Is he Zion? No, but he's a guy that could easily team with Wong and McGusty and create a solid nucleus for this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back