Jalen Duren

Advertisement

I feel like that should also apply to Duren, especially given that Tshiebwe's already on the roster and I don't think they'd pair well together. On the other hand, I kinda feel like I'm just getting my hopes up.

I feel like that should also apply to Duren, especially given that Tshiebwe's already on the roster and I don't think they'd pair well together. On the other hand, I kinda feel like I'm just getting my hopes up.

I tend to agree. but I don't think we should get our hopes up. I still think it's either Memphis or a pro league for Duren. We'll finish in 2nd (or 3rd) place.

Not over yet. Also, I'm not "getting my hopes up," whatever that means.

On a side note, it's kind of sad that we have to rely on Kentucky websites and beat writers to get updates on Duren. You'd think there'd be a UM reporter all over this. Then again, the media coverage for Canes basketball has always been practically non-existent.

Advertisement
On a side note, it's kind of sad that we have to rely on Kentucky websites and beat writers to get updates on Duren. You'd think there'd be a UM reporter all over this. Then again, the media coverage for Canes basketball has always been practically non-existent.
Or maybe the Canes reporters know it's a lost cause.

Advertisement
Yeah that’s the reason.

National people have broken news about Miami commits in the past and will continue to. Local reporters don’t know anything about Miami basketball in the same way local reporters from traditional outlets don’t break Dolphins or Heat news anymore

Last semi decent beat reporter Canes basketball had was Matt Porter. Susan is Susan, Barry only bothers to gather info when the team's winning, Christy Chirinos works for UM now (and wasn't especially great to begin with), and all Michelle Kaufman wants to do is rant about transfers and regurgitate what's already out there (although, to her credit, I think she had Jordan Miller's commitment first).

Advertisement
Last semi decent beat reporter Canes basketball had was Matt Porter. Susan is Susan, Barry only bothers to gather info when the team's winning, Christy Chirinos works for UM now (and wasn't especially great to begin with), and all Michelle Kaufman wants to do is rant about transfers and regurgitate what's already out there (although, to her credit, I think she had Jordan Miller's commitment first).

The problem is that there's no consequences for them being awful. Hurricane sports coverage doesn't drive the sports section here. This isn't Austin, this isn't Tuscaloosa. The beat writers that are any good are usually moved to better beats quickly, or they leave the market when they realize that sports journalism is an afterthought.

That said, I just want to see where this recruitment leads. I hope they have at least two bigs on standby, because they need at least that many to fill out the roster.

Advertisement
I don’t understand the logic of this tweet.

“Calipari’s time is far too valuable to waste, unlike the other two clueless blowhards he’s been constantly talking to.“
Yeah it didn't make much sense, especially considering Calipari as to go to Team Final's aau games anyway. His staff is currently battling Duke and others for Derrick Lively, Jalen Duren's teammate.

I don’t understand the logic of this tweet.

“Calipari’s time is far too valuable to waste, unlike the other two clueless blowhards he’s been constantly talking to.“

Dude also posted an article yesterday that says:

Two prominent national sources told KSR at Peach Jam that Miami holds firm as the current favorite in the back-and-forth battle, both believing Duren’s ties to Irving will win out in the high-profile recruitment. One individual familiar with the five-star’s thinking said he’s heard “nothing but pro” in recent weeks. Another source with direct ties to the 6-foot-10 standout’s recruitment believes Duren himself likes Penny Hardaway and his experience in the NBA as a four-time All-Star, while the family favors Kentucky and its pitch from a development and branding standpoint.

From the article:

Duren is currently in the process of attempting to complete summer coursework in order to get his transcript in good standing so that he can be cleared for college enrollment, should he decide to go that route. Kentucky, Miami and Memphis are the finalists. Some believe that Miami, which hired one of Duren's former Team Final coaches (DJ Irving), should be regarded as the leader. CBS Sports polled multiple college coaches and NBA personnel on hand at Nike's premier grassroots event in South Carolina. The collective response from those people put Duren at about 60% to play college basketball.

Advertisement
Back