Jalen Duren

From the article:

Interesting tidbits

If Duren picks Miami, there could be big NIL potential there. A company recently agreed to pay every member of the football team $6,000 for the season. A player like Duren would clearly garner a lot of marketing and sponsorship opportunities. And yet, there is also the endgame of being drafted and making it to the NBA. Despite his rise to No. 1, overtaking the long-hyped Emoni Bates, Duren has some limitations on the court. He's listed at 6-foot-10, but in reality is a shade over 6-8 and in the neighborhood of 230 pounds. Without a reliable perimeter shot, and with some lack of dominating aggression around the rim on both ends, one high-major coach posited Duren going to college would be a mistake.

"He'll get exposed," the coach told CBS Sports. "If I was advising him, there is no chance I would ever let him go to college."

Another power-conference coach disagreed, believing Duren's best days would likely come as a one-and-done player, whereas his role in the NBA could be much more limited. Three comparisons tossed around by evaluators while watching four of his games this weekend were: Cliff Alexander, Bam Adebayo and Derrick Favors. He's powerful, but clearly a center at the college level.

Advertisement
Interesting tidbits

If Duren picks Miami, there could be big NIL potential there. A company recently agreed to pay every member of the football team $6,000 for the season. A player like Duren would clearly garner a lot of marketing and sponsorship opportunities. And yet, there is also the endgame of being drafted and making it to the NBA. Despite his rise to No. 1, overtaking the long-hyped Emoni Bates, Duren has some limitations on the court. He's listed at 6-foot-10, but in reality is a shade over 6-8 and in the neighborhood of 230 pounds. Without a reliable perimeter shot, and with some lack of dominating aggression around the rim on both ends, one high-major coach posited Duren going to college would be a mistake.

"He'll get exposed," the coach told CBS Sports. "If I was advising him, there is no chance I would ever let him go to college."

Another power-conference coach disagreed, believing Duren's best days would likely come as a one-and-done player, whereas his role in the NBA could be much more limited. Three comparisons tossed around by evaluators while watching four of his games this weekend were: Cliff Alexander, Bam Adebayo and Derrick Favors. He's powerful, but clearly a center at the college level.
Hold On Reaction GIF by Laff

Can't shoot. Not aggressive at either end of the floor. 6'8, not 6'10. Gonna get "exposed" if he goes the college route. These aren't encouraging critiques of his game.

Advertisement
Can't shoot. Not aggressive at either end of the floor. 6'8, not 6'10. Gonna get "exposed" if he goes the college route. These aren't encouraging critiques of his game.
You see not encouraging. I see we may have a chance after all. He'd fit right in here.

The #1 prospect in his age group is gonna skip his senior of high school and is seriously considering us. One anonymous coach who he likely isn’t considering and could be bitter as **** about it is now changing the direction of the thread. Just people who want to be miserable. 247’s individual rankings have him rated as an actual 100. That’s the type of prospect than could be putting on a Miami uniform pretty soon

Don't think there's a person on this board that wouldn't be excited to see him at UM. Great opportunity for Jalen as we are so thin up front and he should get major minutes from the jump.

Wonder why he waited until late July to try and get his HS coursework in order (for admission to a college next month)?

One anonymous coach who he likely isn’t considering and could be bitter as **** about it is now changing the direction of the thread.
I've been the most positive one here, but the critiques are not unfair. He has played powerforward next to Derrick Lively who is 7 foot and could end up ranked the #1 player if Emoni and Jalen reclassify. There is less rim protecting one has to do next to an elite rim protector like Lively. He averaged 2.1 BPG in 22 MPG at Monteverde so not sure how much this coach has seen him. At Miami he will play the 5 more than AAU, he played the 5 almost exclusively at Monteverde. With both Monteverde and Team Final, he has a much better supporting cast than he will at Miami or Memphis (relative to the competition).

"with some lack of dominating aggression around the rim on both ends," is a dumb quote considering what he's already shown at HS and AAU. He shot 63% at Monteverde this past year.

For my money he'd would not be a top two prospect in 2021. He would be somewhere from #3-9. He would be behind Paolo and Chet and in the mix with Jabari Smith, Aj Griffin, Jaden Hardy, Scoota Henderson, Matthew Cleveland, ty ty Washington, Caleb Houston and Pat Baldwin. Don’t know if he has much separation from that latter group. More strength, defense, and finishing than Baldwin or Smith but their shooting and offensive iq is better from reports/what i've seen.

regardless of where he ends up, I want to see where he stands against these other bigs. I’d be interested to see how he stacks up against Nathan Bittle for example.

He is younger than the rest of the 2021 kids so some rapid development could come throughout the year too. His commitment would be a homerun hit. He lacks some of the sexier bball skills but he has the ability to shoot 60% from the field with his shot selection, strength and finishing touch in the paint.

His skillset is comparable to another Monteverde player in Precious Achiuwa.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If an ACC schedule would expose Duran, so would 15 games in the gleague/NBL imo.

(not stating I think he will get exposed / commentating on the coach's words)

Duren by some accounts is best as an undersized low post scoring center which college has way more opportunities for than the gleague

Last edited:
Parrish and Norlander both have a bunch of interesting things to say about Duren and the 22 class.

Advertisement
I've been the most positive one here, but the critiques are not unfair. He has played powerforward next to Derrick Lively who is 7 foot and could end up ranked the #1 player if Emoni and Jalen reclassify. There is less rim protecting one has to do next to an elite rim protector like Lively. He averaged 2.1 BPG in 22 MPG at Monteverde so not sure how much this coach has seen him. At Miami he will play the 5 more than AAU, he played the 5 almost exclusively at Monteverde. With both Monteverde and Team Final, he has a much better supporting cast than he will at Miami or Memphis (relative to the competition).

"with some lack of dominating aggression around the rim on both ends," is a dumb quote considering what he's already shown at HS and AAU. He shot 63% at Monteverde this past year.

For my money he'd would not be a top two prospect in 2021. He would be somewhere from #3-9. He would be behind Paolo and Chet and in the mix with Jabari Smith, Aj Griffin, Jaden Hardy, Scoota Henderson, Matthew Cleveland, ty ty Washington, Caleb Houston and Pat Baldwin. Don’t know if he has much separation from that latter group. More strength, defense, and finishing than Baldwin or Smith but their shooting and offensive iq is better from reports/what i've seen.

regardless of where he ends up, I want to see where he stands against these other bigs. I’d be interested to see how he stacks up against Nathan Bittle for example.

He is younger than the rest of the 2021 kids so some rapid development could come throughout the year too. His commitment would be a homerun hit. He lacks some of the sexier bball skills but he has the ability to shoot 60% from the field with his shot selection, strength and finishing touch in the paint.

His skillset is comparable to another Monteverde player in Precious Achiuwa.
So when is the last time Miami has had a top 10 projected player?
Downside of Duren getting "exposed" is maybe we have him for two years instead of one and done.
With our current front court, there is no downside.

Advertisement
I'm definitely not a Bentley driving heavy hitter, but I don't understand why a kid would chose UM over some other school for a $6,000 stipend.

Hopefully its a sign of what's to come. Like I said, 6 grand isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but then again, this is just some random crypto company that nobody's ever heard of. Get Raid Shadow Legends-or whatever else the dips#it Youtubers have been peddling for the last 6 years-in on the action, and we might be in business.

This board is a surefire cure for any kind of happiness or optimism. I've never seen a fanbase mope about an opportunity like this. There is a good chance that this program can land a legit player that can provide much needed talent at a position of crucial need, and people are falling all over themselves trying to find ways to **** on the program and the player. Do I believe that Duren will sign with Miami? The odds indicate that it will be extremely close, but the school is legit in the hunt. L and his staff are doing EVERYTHING possible to land him, that's all one could ask from this staff in regards to recruiting. You leave no stone unturned, especially when kids like this are showing legit interest. I'd also like to see what Plan B is, and I hope there is one.

We all understand that is a huge year for the program, huge strides must be made, those three consecutive NCAA appearances feel like forever ago. That said, I'm convinced that there are a lot of people on this board that are so in love with the smell of their own farts, they would actively root against Duren signing, just so they can continue to whine. We should all be rooting for this to happen, because if it does, this team goes from NIT, to team that can make legit noise(Provided Duren reclassifies)

Advertisement
Back