Jalen Duren

cookies

Sophomore
**** sure needs his own thread. On his OV this week, has Memphis and Kentucky up next. Hopefully he makes it through June without a Michigan or Villanova visit as well. Less options the better for us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMO, Jalen Green is not a better player than Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley or Jalen Suggs.
College or not, in the conversation sure but it would not have moved him ahead of those 3.
Never saw a scenario where Green went before Cade who is an all world player. Mobley's versatility, unselfishness, and 2 way ability would be too much for me, and a lot of exeuctives, to pass over Green as well. I think the right franchise at #2 could take Green over Mobley. For instance, Detroit would have to weigh the front court fit of Bey, Stewart, and Mobley versus Green coming in and being the lead scorer. He can be fan favorite who would figure out the lead scorer role on a non-playoff team like Devin Booker six years ago.

I'd be surprised if Suggs goes before Green. Green has been ahead of Suggs his whole life (ranking wise. Both have 3 youth usa basketball gold medals which mean future lottery picks... Green was the MVP on the 17u team usa basketball team they were both on). Green is more athletic, eight months younger, and averaged 18 ppg on 46/36/82 shooting in the GLeague.

Last edited:
At this week’s Pangos All-American Camp in Las Vegas, though, talk of Duren strongly considering the college route this fall began ramping up, with the five-star center telling KSR that he has scheduled three official visits this month. He’ll start with a trip to Miami (FL) this week, followed by trips to Kentucky and Memphis at the end of June.

The nation’s No. 1 overall prospect also told KSR he is planning to make his final decision at the end of the summer, another indication that a reclassification is on the table.

“I came away very, very convinced he’s seriously considering the college route. It is not a done deal he’s going to the pros,” I said on this week’s edition of the Sources Say Podcast. “… He’s also planning to make a decision at the end of the summer. That’s something that I don’t think people realize at all, we are within months of a Jalen Duren final decision.

“I was told from somebody else that would definitely know that a reclassification is still very much on the table. … If he reclasses, it’s with the intention of going to college."

Advertisement
“I don’t try to take it for granted, I know I’ve been blessed with these opportunities,” Duren told KSR. “I don’t really look at the money too much, I’m not really a flashy guy who really needs the money. People automatically think, ‘oh, they’re going to offer money, so he’s going to go there.’ I don’t think like that.”

“It’s really about development for me, I try to preach that a lot. Everyone I talk to whether it’s pro or college, it’s about how they’re going to develop me,” Duren told KSR. “When I look at the money aspect, it’s not really about that for me. I don’t care too much about it. I mean, it’s good to have, but it’s not going to make the decision for me.”

“With teams and their own success, I feel like that’s a big win,” Duren added. “Schools like Michigan and UCLA, a couple of the other schools on my list, Kentucky, the history of Kentucky, Michigan making a big run last year, UCLA making a huge run last year, it just goes to show that’s their type of culture. It’s definitely a good feeling about where I could fit in and how they love to win too.”

But again, money is “not really a big thing” for Duren.

“It just started so a lot of people are just trying to figure out what it really is,” Duren said of the anticipated NIL rule changes. “As people learn more and more about it, coaches are starting to show me their plan about how they’d be able to market me and brand me. Like I said, the money is cool, but it’s not really a big thing for me. If someone offered me this much and someone else offered me a different amount, it’s not like I’m just going to go here because it was more money.

“As I learn more and more about it and my family learns more and more about it, and other people, coaches learn more about it, I’ll be able to speak more about the NIL. I feel like it is a good idea to give athletes the money they deserve.”

“Obviously, we have to wait to see exactly what the rules state,” UK head coach John Calipari said back in May. “But no one should be able to do it better for men’s basketball than our program. Two years ago, TV-wise, our ratings before the pandemic would have ranked fourth in the NBA – Golden State, the Lakers, Cleveland with LeBron (James) – would have been above our ratings. So, all the social media stuff and all the stuff we do, and we can do, in my mind it should be the best in the country.”

“For us at Kentucky, we understand how big a platform and how big of a brand we have, especially in college basketball,” Kentucky assistant coach Jai Lucas added. “So for someone who really wants the opportunity to enhance their brand on the biggest market, we feel that’s what we are and what we have to offer. … We feel like with what we have and how many times we’re on TV and stuff like that, it’s something we should really be able to use.”

“I had a Zoom call not too long ago with Coach Orlando and Coach Chin, just them introducing themselves. Coach O recruited me while he was at Illinois, so I kind of talked to him already, but when he got to Kentucky he wanted to continue that,” Duren told KSR. “I definitely see them changing around their whole program for the betterment, continue the success they’ve been having. Everyone knows Kentucky and the history, it speaks for itself. I definitely notice the energy they’re bringing and I like it.”

“I don’t try to take it for granted, I know I’ve been blessed with these opportunities,” Duren told KSR. “I don’t really look at the money too much, I’m not really a flashy guy who really needs the money. People automatically think, ‘oh, they’re going to offer money, so he’s going to go there.’ I don’t think like that.”

“It’s really about development for me, I try to preach that a lot. Everyone I talk to whether it’s pro or college, it’s about how they’re going to develop me,” Duren told KSR. “When I look at the money aspect, it’s not really about that for me. I don’t care too much about it. I mean, it’s good to have, but it’s not going to make the decision for me.”

“With teams and their own success, I feel like that’s a big win,” Duren added. “Schools like Michigan and UCLA, a couple of the other schools on my list, Kentucky, the history of Kentucky, Michigan making a big run last year, UCLA making a huge run last year, it just goes to show that’s their type of culture. It’s definitely a good feeling about where I could fit in and how they love to win too.”

“It just started so a lot of people are just trying to figure out what it really is,” Duren said of the anticipated NIL rule changes. “As people learn more and more about it, coaches are starting to show me their plan about how they’d be able to market me and brand me. Like I said, the money is cool, but it’s not really a big thing for me. If someone offered me this much and someone else offered me a different amount, it’s not like I’m just going to go here because it was more money.

“As I learn more and more about it and my family learns more and more about it, and other people, coaches learn more about it, I’ll be able to speak more about the NIL. I feel like it is a good idea to give athletes the money they deserve.”

“Obviously, we have to wait to see exactly what the rules state,” UK head coach John Calipari said back in May. “But no one should be able to do it better for men’s basketball than our program. Two years ago, TV-wise, our ratings before the pandemic would have ranked fourth in the NBA – Golden State, the Lakers, Cleveland with LeBron (James) – would have been above our ratings. So, all the social media stuff and all the stuff we do, and we can do, in my mind it should be the best in the country.”

“For us at Kentucky, we understand how big a platform and how big of a brand we have, especially in college basketball,” Kentucky assistant coach Jai Lucas added. “So for someone who really wants the opportunity to enhance their brand on the biggest market, we feel that’s what we are and what we have to offer. … We feel like with what we have and how many times we’re on TV and stuff like that, it’s something we should really be able to use.”

“I had a Zoom call not too long ago with Coach Orlando and Coach Chin, just them introducing themselves. Coach O recruited me while he was at Illinois, so I kind of talked to him already, but when he got to Kentucky he wanted to continue that,” Duren told KSR. “I definitely see them changing around their whole program for the betterment, continue the success they’ve been having. Everyone knows Kentucky and the history, it speaks for itself. I definitely notice the energy they’re bringing and I like it.”
Interesting. He doesn't mention us at all, yet we were the first school he officially visited. That leads me to assume it was a courtesy visit due to his connection with DJ Irving. If he goes the college route, it's very likely he'll go with a blue blood with history like Kentucky.

Advertisement

But is it about the money for him? I couldn't tell.

P.S. not coming here

Even though we probably have no shot, it’s still pretty cool to see him posting this.

On another note, If this were the football board, this thread would be 50 pages already. Sadly we don’t have many Canes basketball fans…

My point stands. Almost 18 hours later and my post about the #1 recruit visiting us gained 1 like and 0 responses.

If this were football, we'd have broken the board by now. I blame L for a lot of things, but I think our lack of a fanbase really hurts our recruiting.

Even though we probably have no shot, it’s still pretty cool to see him posting this.

On another note, If this were the football board, this thread would be 50 pages already. Sadly we don’t have many Canes basketball fans…

Baseball took the life out of me this year so haven’t paid much attention this. G league versus us? I think we know how this ends

Baseball took the life out of me this year so haven’t paid much attention this. G league versus us? I think we know how this ends
I think there are a few other schools involved as well, mainly Kentucky and Michigan. I agree, I highly doubt he comes here. I am hoping that other recruits at least see that the top player is at least considering us and maybe that can help us pull in some other guys.

Advertisement
My point stands. Almost 18 hours later and my post about the #1 recruit visiting us gained 1 like and 0 responses.

If this were football, we'd have broken the board by now. I blame L for a lot of things, but I think our lack of a fanbase really hurts our recruiting.
I’ll speak to this from my own personal perspective.

The basketball program is dead, and no one in charge seems to care. I cannot expend the energy to care about an ICU patient if the doctors show no concern about its recovery. L brought the program back to life once and gave us some of the most exciting years of my fandom. I never imagined we’d hit those heights, I never foresaw us cratering to these lows either.

I don’t bother to follow recruiting anymore because it’s irrelevant. Even if we sign a talented kid he’s gone within a year - not to the NBA, to the portal. This last year absolutely killed it for me, especially Cross leaving and whatever nonsense happened with Lykes. I’m stoked about the future one week and literally a few days later the kid is gone? Nah, I actually don’t have time for that. Not for a team fighting for the basement of the ACC for the third year in a row.

I’m a long suffering fan (if you’re a Miami fan, you’re long suffering), but I check out when it appears that I have more concern about the chronic failures of a program than the AD and head coach. I know that’s an exaggeration, of course they care more, but I don’t see a single thing being done about it. I can suffer through a lot of futility, but this thing is beyond suffering through some bad years.

Basketball is dead on the vine right now, and so is my emotional support. It’s harsh, but it’s where I’m at right now.

Interesting. He doesn't mention us at all, yet we were the first school he officially visited. That leads me to assume it was a courtesy visit due to his connection with DJ Irving. If he goes the college route, it's very likely he'll go with a blue blood with history like Kentucky.
It was definitely a courtesy visit. He might be back in a few weeks though and if the staff can get him back on campus for an unofficial, then who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I agree with Inday. I follow this board but all the posts about prospects we will not get (or will not keep) are mainly depressing. What? Post I hope he comes here. Or looking good for us?

... but appreciate all the info, and some attempts to stir up enthusiasm. Long time fan and follower (I do miss Don Curnutt!)

Advertisement

We've had visits from several top basketball recruits over the years. John Wall, I think Carmelo, the legacy kid who ended up at Duke. Probably a lot more that I can't immediately remember. They don't end up here. The worst part is that I've come to the realization that they shouldn't end up here. Old washed up coach and an administration that only cares about cashing acc welfare checks.

Inday-

I think we've had what, 2 sweet 16 appearances since Ham left 20 years ago? The one issue I take with your post is there haven't really been any "great heights." Bottom line is this is an ACC basketball program averaging 1 sweet 16 appearance per decade. It's embarrassingly bad.

Inday-

I think we've had what, 2 sweet 16 appearances since Ham left 20 years ago? The one issue I take with your post is there haven't really been any "great heights." Bottom line is this is an ACC basketball program averaging 1 sweet 16 appearance per decade. It's embarrassingly bad.
Miami doubling as ACC regular season champ and ACC tournament champ is a "great height". Wake Forest hasn't been to a sweet 16 since 2004 and hasn't won a regular season title since 2003 and tournament title since 1996. More storied programs are down bad too if not worse. The last three years should only further highlight what a unique thing 2013 and 2016 were.

This program has gotten worse as the coach who led the sweet sixteen teams has on the surface recruited better high school talent. Keeping that talent is another story. A coach who found success with transfers now consistently whiffs on them. L hired assistants who were good enough to be head coaches elsewhere. Now they jump ship to become assistants at other programs. Those NCAA appearances earned him a pass for the last three years of ineptitude. I would think he gets 2021 to swim or inevitably sink and the change will made.

Last edited:
We've had visits from several top basketball recruits over the years. John Wall, I think Carmelo, the legacy kid who ended up at Duke. Probably a lot more that I can't immediately remember. They don't end up here. The worst part is that I've come to the realization that they shouldn't end up here. Old washed up coach and an administration that only cares about cashing acc welfare checks.

Yup we finished 2nd in the John Wall recruitment.

Advertisement
Back