Jalen Duren

Wrong Miami. Ron Artest committed to Miami, Ohio and switched to St. Johns on signing day. He talks about it on Rex Chapman's new podcast.
THanks for the correction. Miami (Oh) is an even more unlikely place for him to sign than UM woulda been. A head scratcher as Artest was like a Jalen Duren of his day.

Advertisement
He is a legit talent and program changer. He is such an incredible player and his athletic profile is crazy. Wherever he goes I expect a Zion esque college season from him and if it all goes well he ends up the #1 overall pick over who was once considered the best prospect in all of high schol, Bates.

On a completely hypothetical scenario, let's say Duren reclassifies and commits to Miami along with Wong coming back.

Question#1?

How many wins do you think that team will have and what level of success will they achieve?

Question #2?

With your projected winning season being the first in the last four years for Coach L and staff, do you give him a contract extension and for how long is such extension since 2022-23 is the last year of his contract?

Quite a unique situation!

I see more Amar'e Stoutemire in his game.
Very athletic and physical but his basketball skills (jump shot especially) needs work.

I don't expect Duran to sign with Miami and even if he does, I think Coach L hangs it up after his contract runs out.

Advertisement
Kentucky is loaded (again). Memphis doesn't play in a league as good as the ACC. If you want to showcase your skills, choice should be easy.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Advertisement
Interesting situation. Kofi ****burn entered the transfer portal after he did not get a NBA Combine invite. A lot of basketball media members think he ends up at Kentucky.

On the other hand, people think Memphis, especially with the addition of Larry Brown, has a real shot at signing Duren. Not a lot of professional buzz.

Aside from the DJ Irving conncetion, Coach L developed a relationship with Duren and his family long before the other options. Feel a bit optimistic if he goes the college route, but a potential gleague experience is tough to turn down for any future high level nba player.

Last edited:
Interesting situation. Kofi ****burn entered the transfer portal after he did not get a NBA Combine invite. A lot of basketball media members think he ends up at Kentucky.

On the other hand, people think Memphis, especially with the addition of Larry Brown, has a real shot at signing Duren. Not a lot of professional buzz.

Aside from the DJ Irving conncetion, Coach L developed a relationship with Duren and his family long before the other options. Feel a bit optimistic if he goes the college route, but a potential gleague experience is tough to turn down for any future high level nba player.
I wonder how much the NIL will play into his decision. How much money could he make at Miami with NIL vs. how much can he make in the G League?

I wonder how much the NIL will play into his decision. How much money could he make at Miami with NIL vs. how much can he make in the G League?
Thinking the same.. If we land him.. I feel it's all because of NIL.....could be a sign of things to come...

Advertisement
Not sure. I’d imagine at least 100k which is more than enough for any 18 year old. 100k is bare bare minimum. Another deciding factor would be his two toughest competitors for the #1 pick are playing college - Paolo and Chet. Maybe coach L has mentioned beating Duke and Paolo and solidifying himself as the #1 pick.

the difference in $ from being the #1 pick compared to the #2 pick (and so forth descending down) is larger than the difference in $ between one year at Miami/UK/Memphis compared to 1 year in the g league. That headstart is good but the family may feel college is a better route to being selected #1. That’s gotta be the hope/selling point.

Last edited:
Not sure. I’d imagine at least 100k which is more than enough for any 18 year old. 100k is bare bare minimum. Another deciding factor would be his two toughest competitors for the #1 pick are playing college - Paolo and Chet. Maybe coach L has mentioned beating Duke and Paolo and solidifying himself as the #1 pick.

the difference in $ from being the #1 pick compared to the #2 pick (and so forth descending down) is larger than the difference in $ between one year at Miami/UK/Memphis compared to 1 year in the g league. That headstart is good but the family may feel college is a better route to being selected #1. That’s gotta be the hope/selling point.
I agree with a lot of your points. But how does going to Miami help him become the #1 pick? We have absolutely zero history of developing high level bigs and certainly never have put any into the NBA.

Advertisement
I agree with a lot of your points. But how does going to Miami help him become the #1 pick? We have absolutely zero history of developing high level bigs and certainly never have put any into the NBA.
It's about trust with the family. Which coaching staff and location is best for them? Draft history does not matter. What history did Ok State and coach Boynton of putting point guards in the NBA? None, but the Cunningham family trusted them the most. Boynton was Cade's first offer and separated himself with the hire of Cade's brother. What about USC and the Mobley's? Best case scenario, something similar happens here.

Jalen Duren is a special player. No matter what decision he makes, he seems extremely well positioned to be a top five pick. So it's a matter of what the family feels is the best option to showcase his talents for a year. Miami and Memphis will allow him to get more shots than at UK or in the GLeague. UK and Gleague Ignite are bigger stages. Both would have more competitive practices than Miami or Memphis. The NBL could give him a bit of everything but is on the other side of the world.

Here is how Duren becomes the #1 pick. DJ Irving knows Duren's game better than Penny, Brian Shaw, and the other coaches. He can play 35 mpg at Miami. He has familiarity with the roster (Wong + Beverly). More room for mistakes. Centerpiece of an offense compared to sharing it with UK players or Jaden Hardy (gleague).

The last elite player from Monteverde avoided UK for his smaller school and is about to be the #1 pick. Scottie Barnes did the same choosing FSU. Hope the trend continues.

Last edited:
Players of this caliber aren't going to college for a year of development. They are going to build their brand.

Advertisement
Back