Jalen Duren

Advertisement
Actually, L and his new assistant should get good marks for the Duren recruitment. To make the final group is pretty astounding for a program that usually doesn't find itself in such rare air. It's all the other missed opportunities for big men that has us in the position we're in.
Generally speaking yes, being a final candidate would be commendable. However, fact remains his AAU coach was hired so that was going to be a given. Just disappointing to think we were token finalists and nothing more. I don’t think Duren ever saw Miami as a legitimate destination. With how we’ve looked the last 3 years who could blame him? This staff is done if they don’t produce on the court this coming season. No way around that. GO CANES!!!

Actually, L and his new assistant should get good marks for the Duren recruitment. To make the final group is pretty astounding for a program that usually doesn't find itself in such rare air. It's all the other missed opportunities for big men that has us in the position we're in.
Is it really that rare that we make the final list? I can think of a decent number of five stars we’ve either been a finalist for or landed. In any case they need to sort their **** out or get out of town.

Advertisement
Horseshoes and hand grenades. UM Athletics is dead. Also, anybody who thought Miami would gain a recruiting advantage with the NIL deals is delusional. We'll be lapped on that too.

Is it really that rare that we make the final list? I can think of a decent number of five stars we’ve either been a finalist for or landed. In any case they need to sort their **** out or get out of town.
Other than Lonnie, what other 5 star have we ever been in on at the final decision point?

Advertisement
Other than Lonnie, what other 5 star have we ever been in on at the final decision point?
Barnes, Carey, Timberlake, Quickley off the top of my head. I am sure some others on here could fill in some more. With that said, when you look at our winning the ACC and getting Walker into the first round, and then you look what FSU has built from the same starting point as us, and then you consider you’re in Miami, and then you factor in the Heat and what that’s done for high school basketball in south Florida, perhaps the bigger question and problem is why are we finalists for so few five stars.

Advertisement
Barnes, Carey, Timberlake, Quickley off the top of my head. I am sure some others on here could fill in some more. With that said, when you look at our winning the ACC and getting Walker into the first round, and then you look what FSU has built from the same starting point as us, and then you consider you’re in Miami, and then you factor in the Heat and what that’s done for high school basketball in south Florida, perhaps the bigger question and problem is why are we finalists for so few five stars.
Carey, yes! Were we ever really "finalists" for Quickley and Barnes? Sure never felt like it. Because of hiring Duren's coach, UM's being a finalist seemed more legit with him. Timberlake was a 4 star I believe.

Coach L has signed a few 5-star guys (Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown & Dewan Hernandez) during his time at Miami. We've had a legit chance at a couple more that I can think of in Vernon Carey and CJ Walker. And despite committing early and sticking with UNC, I think Joel Berry really liked Miami and considered them early on.

Advertisement
Coach L has signed a few 5-star guys (Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown & Dewan Hernandez) during his time at Miami. We've had a legit chance at a couple more that I can think of in Vernon Carey and CJ Walker. And despite committing early and sticking with UNC, I think Joel Berry really liked Miami and considered them early on.
L has been a beaten man ever since he was wrongly accused in the recruiting scandal. He should have retired years ago. I don't know what the end game is, because he isn't going to be fired. And unlike Haith, nobody else is going to hire him away.

L has been a beaten man ever since he was wrongly accused in the recruiting scandal. He should have retired years ago. I don't know what the end game is, because he isn't going to be fired. And unlike Haith, nobody else is going to hire him away.
This is sad and (probably) unfair but appears to be true.
of course I’m hoping for miracle season.

Something seems 'wrong" in mentioning Dewan in the same breath as Walker and Brown. Did he really end his HS career a consensus 5 star?

Be interesting to see the criteria of what constitutes a 4 and 5 star HS rating. Also be interesting to see numerical ratings among 5 stars. I imagine there'd be a pretty big talent gap between the top 5 star (#1 player in the class) and the last kid to get into the 5 star category.

Advertisement
Back