Jake Garcia thoughts

I was just thinking about accuracy. Is this kid that type of QB? I don’t watch a lot of highlights and I’m not one to remotely claim to know football.
He has some nice touch on his deep balls and he doesn't throw "fast balls" at all times like most HS QB do. He has touch and accuracy which are two prerequisite traits needed to succeed at QB. Now will he have the intelligence, work ethic, drive, leadership, and all of those other traits? We'll see right.

As for eluding, athletic ability, and all of that.....I always point to Phillip Rivers and how he manuevers in the pocket. He isn't going to win a footrace against a yeti, but he is able to shuffle, elude, and get his feet set in time to make and accurate throw. That's all you need really. It's nice to have a King type, but "mobility" in the sense of QBs is what Phillip Rivers can do in the pocket, not what Cam or Deshaun can do outside of the pocket.

Just my $.02

Advertisement
South, being familiar with Texas, what are your thoughts on the Davis kid that signed with Auburn?
Dee is my guy. He improved as a passer as a senior. He’s king 2.0. His arm is much stronger than kings tho. He’s gonna be a **** good QB for auburn, I wanted him here bad. He doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to read the field bc northshore only ever asked him to read half of it and pull the trigger but he’s at his best getting to his second or third read and making magic. He’s D’eriq on steroids for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Garcia will make the QB room competitive again - not including King. He's smart; the kid has picked up two offensive systems pretty quick this spring. He's a gamer; stands in and takes a hit to make a big throw. No one is saying he will be a Heisman contender but he will absolutely raise the level of that QB room and he comes in with the support of the entire offensive part of his class. I just don't see any downside to this and am not sure why all the negativity. Lashlee clearly wanted him - he didn't even recruit other guys that hard.
To your point, a rising tide lifts all boats.

At worst, this makes the competition much better and whichever QB comes out of it whether it’s TVD, Garcia, or even Matocha, will have earned it and improved because of it.

For that factor alone, this is a big win imo.

I’m falling for it. Kid is MATURE in his game and his demeanor. We have learned our lesson with immature players at key positions. I’ll give the staff credit there.

TVD and Garcia >>>>>>> Kosi, Jarren, Martell
Facts we went from Kosi, Jarren, and Tate to potentially D’Eriq, TVD, Garcia.

The upgrade of intangibles in just one year there is huge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dee is my guy. He improved as a passer as a senior. He’s king 2.0. His arm is much stronger than kings tho. He’s gonna be a **** good QB for auburn, I wanted him here bad. He doesn’t get enough credit for his ability to read the field bc northshore only ever asked him to read half of it and pull the trigger but he’s at his best getting to his second or third read and making magic. He’s D’eriq on steroids for sure

Yeah I definitely like that kid. Figured we'd be all over him since we were on Flagg. Oh well.

Advertisement
Good programs sign a quarterback every year. Not just projects, but guys who can compete. Miami checked that box last night. Garcia seems flashy but he’s really a throwback: a smart, accurate and tough pocket passer from California. Miami has done well with that type.

I thought Garcia was overhyped when I first saw his clips. There are some Martell vibes with the transfers and the family. But his time in Georgia has changed my image of him. This is a guy who was already highly ranked with big offers. He could have sat out and quarantined with Instagram floozies. Instead, he moved cross-country to the heart of South Georgia just to play football. That says something.

In his first game, he led Valdosta to a comeback victory over a good Warner Robins team. When the state declared him ineligible (through no fault of his own), he transferred to Grayson and picked up another complex HS offense on the fly. Since then, he’s won every game and led them to the semifinals without their two best players. His ability to connect with different teammates is impressive, and our own commits recruited him harder than the coaches.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a cop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle. But for all the talk about having a dual threat, the modern game is really about passing. Look at what guys like Kyle Trask and Shane Buechele have done this year.

Will he fail and transfer? It’s possible. The majority of blue-chip QBs do. But he has a chance, and healthy programs give themselves as many lotto tickets as possible at this position. Garcia can push TVD in a way that guys like Matocha can’t. Let the best man win.

that's the key point i think.

i think matocha has got some interesting skills, and is better prospect than people are giving him credit for. the problem is, he's not as complete a QB prospect as TVD. can he keep TVD on his toes? yes, to a degree, just not in the way a guy like garcia can.

A lot.

Here are Miami's All-Time QB Recruit list.

Kyle Wright - .9984
Jake Garcia - .9775
Jarren Williams - .9614
Kevin Olsen - .9582
Kirby Freeman - .9440
Brad Kaaya - .9375
Robert Marve - .9373
Jack Allison - .9264
N'Kosi Perry - .9218
Tyler Van Dyke - .9173

Jake Garcia is basically a hair away from a 5-star ranking (5-stars start at .98). TVD was a low 4-star (4-stars start at a 90).

God **** that list is filled with a significant amount of slop.
Kirby F-In Freeman. Only one worth a **** was Kaaya

247 Composites:
TVD - .9173 rating/#7 Pro-style QB/222nd overall
https://247sports.com/player/tyler-van-dyke-88973/

Garcia - .9775 rating/#5 Pro-style QB/46th overall
https://247sports.com/player/jake-garcia-46053996/

ESPN:
TVD - 84 rating/#3 Pro-style QB/110th overall
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232210/tyler-van-dyke

Garcia - 88 rating/#2 Pro-style QB/18th overall
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/238142/jake-garcia

Rivals:
TVD - 5.8 rating/#8 Pro-style QB/204th overall
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/tyler-van-dyke-186303

Garcia - 6.0 rating/#5 Pro-style QB/42nd overall
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/jake-garcia-216312

as Pro Style QB's, it was pretty comparable.

but TVD was underrated, and the staff figured that out after three practices

Advertisement
Garcia can move around. Y’all act like this dude is Kaaya. He isn’t a statue and there is a thing called a strength and conditioning program that will help him with his quickness etc... he isn’t Peyton Manning who literally runs a 6 flat 40yd.
I know that. I was kind of making that point that he's not a statue like Mac Jones. He's a decent athlete.

Advertisement
Back