Jake Garcia thoughts

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Good programs sign a quarterback every year. Not just projects, but guys who can compete. Miami checked that box last night. Garcia seems flashy but he’s really a throwback: a smart, accurate and tough pocket passer from California. Miami has done well with that type.

I thought Garcia was overhyped when I first saw his clips. There are some Martell vibes with the transfers and the family. But his time in Georgia has changed my image of him. This is a guy who was already highly ranked with big offers. He could have sat out and quarantined with Instagram floozies. Instead, he moved cross-country to the heart of South Georgia just to play football. That says something.

In his first game, he led Valdosta to a comeback victory over a good Warner Robins team. When the state declared him ineligible (through no fault of his own), he transferred to Grayson and picked up another complex HS offense on the fly. Since then, he’s won every game and led them to the semifinals without their two best players. His ability to connect with different teammates is impressive, and our own commits recruited him harder than the coaches.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a cop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in the pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle. But for all the talk about having a dual threat, the modern game is really about passing. Look at what guys like Kyle Trask and Shane Buechele have done this year.

Will he fail and transfer? It’s possible. The majority of blue-chip QBs do. But he has a chance, and healthy programs give themselves as many lotto tickets as possible at this position. Garcia can push TVD in a way that guys like Matocha can’t. Let the best man win.

Advertisement
Good programs sign a quarterback every year. Not just projects, but guys who can compete. Miami checked that box last night. Garcia seems flashy but he’s really a throwback: a smart, accurate and tough pocket passer from California. Miami has done well with that type.

I thought Garcia was overhyped when I first saw his clips. There are some Martell vibes with the transfers and the family. But his time in Georgia has changed my image of him. This is a guy who was already highly ranked with big offers. He could have sat out and quarantined with Instagram floozies. Instead, he moved cross-country to the heart of South Georgia just to play football. That says something.

In his first game, he led Valdosta to a comeback victory over a good Warner Robins team. When the state declared him ineligible (through no fault of his own), he transferred to Grayson and picked up another complex HS offense on the fly. Since then, he’s won every game and led them to the semifinals without their two best players. His ability to connect with different teammates is impressive, and our own commits recruited him harder than the coaches.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a linebacker at Nebraska and a cop, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle. But for all the talk about having a dual threat, the modern game is really about passing. Look at what guys like Kyle Trask and Shane Buechele have done this year.

Will he fail and transfer? It’s possible. The majority of blue-chip QBs do. But he has a chance, and healthy programs give themselves as many lotto tickets as possible at this position. Garcia can push TVD in a way that guys like Matocha can’t. Let the best man win.

“Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle.”

Are you alluding to his pocket presence (or lack thereof)? Wondering if it has to do with a tendency to stare down the rush vs a lack of athleticism.

Advertisement
“Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle.”

Are you alluding to his pocket presence (or lack thereof)? Wondering if it has to do with a tendency to stare down the rush vs a lack of athleticism.

Yes. He has good pocket presence mentally- he's not scared and he is aware of his surroundings. It's more about twitch.

He's shown flashes in that area (check the clips above) so hopefully he can continue to grow in that aspect.

If you are gonna have statues like Trask you better have weapons for him and an offense that utilizes them like trask also.. I know most have hard time acknowledging the talent but florida is deeeeeep outside with talented wr that do different things. They had Van Jefferson, Freddie Swain and Cleveland last year and I think they all made it to NFL and they leave and have Pitts, Toney, Grimes, Copeland, even a guy like Shorter (even with their talent level they still bought in transfer) could be a talent upgrade in miami..

We have bought in some guys but the recent nondevelopment of wr at miami and combine that with terrible oline year after year it now seems it seems like it can be tough to develop a qb. Our wr core was sad this year..

Dont know much about this kid, I hope he is legit and wish him well.. Also we need to bring in multiple transfer WR to hope to hit on one, bring in buffalo who core if we have to, these guys we have are embarrassing. I wouldnt mind if #8 and #6 transfer or declare early

Advertisement
Happy about yesterdays signees and thank God we got a QB, but I'm not falling for the post-signing day DMoney voodoo this year.

nope.gif

Yes. He has good pocket presence mentally- he's not scared and he is aware of his surroundings. It's more about twitch.

He's shown flashes in that area (check the clips above) so hopefully he can continue to grow in that aspect.

110's, 300's, "toughness" drills, & mat drills aren't going to fix this. Hope the S&C staff has learned something about visual-cognitive-motor skill training vs pointless jogging at 60% intensity

This was a key pickup in the class for me. As you stated, we need to add a quality QB without fail every year - you simply have to with the bust (Perry) and attrition (Williams) rate of D1 QBs.

We currently have a TrFR who's taken approx. 10 snaps, a **** star and a late (desperate) pickup of the ex-OC - albeit he's clearly quite athletic. I'm not counting on King returning until he turns up for Spring practice.

With regards to Garcia and his mobility - you don't have to be able to run a Spread-Option offence. Just be athletic enough to make that DE / LB account for you on the Read-Option.

Advertisement

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a lmcop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

look at Mac Jones also. Dude can’t move but he stands in the pocket and throws darts. I like dual threat QB’s but two of the QB’s up for the Heisman this year are less athletic than Garcia so not sure it matters if you have the right offense around you.

Advertisement
Happy about yesterdays signees and thank God we got a QB, but I'm not falling for the post-signing day DMoney voodoo this year.

View attachment 138150
Agree with this

Sunshine pumps......I want to know did he talk himself into Garcia when it started to look like he was coming to UM. Not feeling the QB prefer a DT guy back there....let me add that he seems like a good kid before the Cane *****/slurpers destroy me.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a lmcop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

I was thinking Goff when I watched his highlights too. Good comp IMO.

How much higher was his rating that TVD's?
247 Composites:
TVD - .9173 rating/#7 Pro-style QB/222nd overall
https://247sports.com/player/tyler-van-dyke-88973/

Garcia - .9775 rating/#5 Pro-style QB/46th overall
https://247sports.com/player/jake-garcia-46053996/

ESPN:
TVD - 84 rating/#3 Pro-style QB/110th overall
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232210/tyler-van-dyke

Garcia - 88 rating/#2 Pro-style QB/18th overall
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/238142/jake-garcia

Rivals:
TVD - 5.8 rating/#8 Pro-style QB/204th overall
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/tyler-van-dyke-186303

Garcia - 6.0 rating/#5 Pro-style QB/42nd overall
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/jake-garcia-216312

Last edited:
Agree with this

Sunshine pumps......I want to know did he talk himself into Garcia when it started to look like he was coming to UM. Not feeling the QB prefer a DT guy back there....let me add that he seems like a good kid before the Cane *****/slurpers destroy me.

I feel like goin in on you, but I won't. Already discussed this. I'm amazed that you were in love with Nkosi when he signed, but unhappy with this kid.

Advertisement
Back