Jake Garcia thoughts

Good programs sign a quarterback every year. Not just projects, but guys who can compete. Miami checked that box last night. Garcia seems flashy but he’s really a throwback: a smart, accurate and tough pocket passer from California. Miami has done well with that type.

I thought Garcia was overhyped when I first saw his clips. There are some Martell vibes with the transfers and the family. But his time in Georgia has changed my image of him. This is a guy who was already highly ranked with big offers. He could have sat out and quarantined with Instagram floozies. Instead, he moved cross-country to the heart of South Georgia just to play football. That says something.

In his first game, he led Valdosta to a comeback victory over a good Warner Robins team. When the state declared him ineligible (through no fault of his own), he transferred to Grayson and picked up another complex HS offense on the fly. Since then, he’s won every game and led them to the semifinals without their two best players. His ability to connect with different teammates is impressive, and our own commits recruited him harder than the coaches.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a linebacker at Nebraska and a cop, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle. But for all the talk about having a dual threat, the modern game is really about passing. Look at what guys like Kyle Trask and Shane Buechele have done this year.

Will he fail and transfer? It’s possible. The majority of blue-chip QBs do. But he has a chance, and healthy programs give themselves as many lotto tickets as possible at this position. Garcia can push TVD in a way that guys like Matocha can’t. Let the best man win.
I believe hes abit over rated, but he does have potential. I also think we need a running QB, there isnt any evidence that shows us that this line is good enough to consistently hold up. Yes the higher ceiling is an accurate pocket passer but that is only possible with atleast a very good offensive line.

Without Kings running this year, we would be in a much different place. Buechele and Trask this year would have been average with Miami's offensive line and weapons. Kings running is what gave this offense any type of explosiveness.

Advertisement
How much higher was his rating that TVD's?

A lot.

Here are Miami's All-Time QB Recruit list.

Kyle Wright - .9984
Jake Garcia - .9775
Jarren Williams - .9614
Kevin Olsen - .9582
Kirby Freeman - .9440
Brad Kaaya - .9375
Robert Marve - .9373
Jack Allison - .9264
N'Kosi Perry - .9218
Tyler Van Dyke - .9173

Jake Garcia is basically a hair away from a 5-star ranking (5-stars start at .98). TVD was a low 4-star (4-stars start at a 90).

God **** that list is filled with a significant amount of slop.

I feel like goin in on you, but I won't. Already discussed this. I'm amazed that you were in love with Nkosi when he signed, but unhappy with this kid.
Was loving me Nkosi maybe I'm wrong. We will see I don't trust anything Diaz does that's basically where I'm at right now. LCE doesn't like this kid as well is anyone going to call him out? I just don't want a statue unless he throws like like Jesus out there. Look at the comparison bruh.....Goff? Y'all kidding me? Thats a sunshine pumping type of statement. Now if he doesn't perform like that we are set up to destroy the kid. We keep comparing players to pro bowlers every class then when they fail we go in on them because of those reasons. I think we expect to much and set our minds up to think x player is sean taylor....(just an example of the exaggerations from homers)

That's all I'll say about it

Advertisement
Justice HAS to dramatically improve the o-line over the next 2 years for this team team to take the next step.

We've brought in the talent the last 2 classes to have the OL make a jump. Although, we've brought in plenty of dudes the last 15 years and have still struggled to get them developed.

Rivers
Walker
Seymoure
McLaughlin
Rodriguez
Barbers (hopefully)

Added to a young Nelson (who's made some really good progress from year 1 to year 2) and the potential to add portal guys every year if they change the IC rules and Justice should be able to find 5-7 guys that can play at a high level by 2022. I think we'll be better next year with another offseason with Justice and Donaldson taking one of the guard spots but Gaynor and whoever ends up at RG needs to step up big time.

Was loving me Nkosi maybe I'm wrong. We will see I don't trust anything Diaz does that's basically where I'm at right now. LCE doesn't like this kid as well is anyone going to call him out? I just don't want a statue unless he throws like like Jesus out there. Look at the comparison bruh.....Goff? Y'all kidding me? Thats a sunshine pumping type of statement. Now if he doesn't perform like that we are set up to destroy the kid. We keep comparing players to pro bowlers every class then when they fail we go in on them because of those reasons. I think we expect to much and set our minds up to think x player is sean taylor....(just an example of the exaggerations from homers)

I think it was more a play comparison style compared to a career projection.

look at Mac Jones also. Dude can’t move but he stands in the pocket and throws darts. I like dual threat QB’s but two of the QB’s up for the Heisman this year are less athletic than Garcia so not sure it matters if you have the right offense around you.
BeastMode, Bama has an NFL line, NFL WRs, and NFL RBs. Mac Jones is going to get his a.. handed to him in the NFL. People are falling in love with him. He does not have the same talent as Tua. Miami used to be this way 18 years ago. Now were are mortal like most of the other programs out there. QBs have to be able to move. Maybe not like King, but they have to have good feet to move in the pocket.

Advertisement

I think he is being silly as well...especially if he was hyping Nkosi coming outta high school too. Which I'm betting he was. I don't remember the comparisons with Nkosi, but I'm sure there were some hilarious ones looking back.

You guys like to see pure athleticism...this is not WRs, RBs, CBs we're talking. I want to see accuracy, timing and fast processing speed. I played soccer professionally. I was a decent athlete, but not close to the most athletic and I wasn't as big as 99% of the guys out there. What got me to where I was...was processing the game faster than others. I didn't have to run a 4.4 forty. I think I looked better than I was to coaches because I got the ball out of my feet quickly and exactly where it needed to be on time. (not exactly the same as football obviously, but you are smart I know you see the comparison). Another thing, Garcia can move enough I think. We will see.

So maybe I'm biased toward a certain particular set of traits, and you lean toward another. I'm not hating on you for it. We all want the same thing in the end. I just believe that some people are being swayed by some recency bias...(Kaaya then King). There are plenty of ways to get this thing done, but I'm telling you 100% if that rock on top of your shoulders isn't used for more than filling out a helmet you won't be successful.

Again, I'm not saying this kid is for sure our savior. **** King is a bad muthafker but he couldn't even turn this gimpy ship around. I hope Garcia is the goods, and I see some things that I like.

Happy to have him aboard. I've always just been concerned about fit. Also from his clips, with the exception of scrambles, it looks as if he knows where he's going with the ball before the snap. Interested in seeing if we hear issues about not going through his progressions when he hits greentree. Either way, I'm excited about this class. Pick it up at CB and we're heading in the right direction on the recruiting front.

Advertisement
We've brought in the talent the last 2 classes to have the OL make a jump. Although, we've brought in plenty of dudes the last 15 years and have still struggled to get them developed.

Rivers
Walker
Seymoure
McLaughlin
Rodriguez
Barbers (hopefully)

Added to a young Nelson (who's made some really good progress from year 1 to year 2) and the potential to add portal guys every year if they change the IC rules and Justice should be able to find 5-7 guys that can play at a high level by 2022. I think we'll be better next year with another offseason with Justice and Donaldson taking one of the guard spots but Gaynor and whoever ends up at RG needs to step up big time.
I don't think Justice has any eligibility left. Bold move though.

Advertisement
If you are gonna have statues like Trask you better have weapons for him and an offense that utilizes them like trask also.. I know most have hard time acknowledging the talent but florida is deeeeeep outside with talented wr that do different things. They had Van Jefferson, Freddie Swain and Cleveland last year and I think they all made it to NFL and they leave and have Pitts, Toney, Grimes, Copeland, even a guy like Shorter (even with their talent level they still bought in transfer) could be a talent upgrade in miami..

We have bought in some guys but the recent nondevelopment of wr at miami and combine that with terrible oline year after year it now seems it seems like it can be tough to develop a qb. Our wr core was sad this year..

Dont know much about this kid, I hope he is legit and wish him well.. Also we need to bring in multiple transfer WR to hope to hit on one, bring in buffalo who core if we have to, these guys we have are embarrassing. I wouldnt mind if #8 and #6 transfer or declare early
I said on here swap Miami and UF’s skill positions outside RB and we have a **** of a game with Clemson

BeastMode, Bama has an NFL line, NFL WRs, and NFL RBs. Mac Jones is going to get his a.. handed to him in the NFL. People are falling in love with him. He does not have the same talent as Tua. Miami used to be this way 18 years ago. Now were are mortal like most of the other programs out there. QBs have to be able to move. Maybe not like King, but they have to have good feet to move in the pocket.

Garcia can move around. Y’all act like this dude is Kaaya. He isn’t a statue and there is a thing called a strength and conditioning program that will help him with his quickness etc... he isn’t Peyton Manning who literally runs a 6 flat 40yd.

I think he is being silly as well...especially if he was hyping Nkosi coming outta high school too. Which I'm betting he was. I don't remember the comparisons with Nkosi, but I'm sure there were some hilarious ones looking back.

You guys like to see pure athleticism...this is not WRs, RBs, CBs we're talking. I want to see accuracy, timing and fast processing speed. I played soccer professionally. I was a decent athlete, but not close to the most athletic and I wasn't as big as 99% of the guys out there. What got me to where I was...was processing the game faster than others. I didn't have to run a 4.4 forty. I think I looked better than I was to coaches because I got the ball out of my feet quickly and exactly where it needed to be on time. (not exactly the same as football obviously, but you are smart I know you see the comparison). Another thing, Garcia can move enough I think. We will see.

So maybe I'm biased toward a certain particular set of traits, and you lean toward another. I'm not hating on you for it. We all want the same thing in the end. I just believe that some people are being swayed by some recency bias...(Kaaya then King). There are plenty of ways to get this thing done, but I'm telling you 100% if that rock on top of your shoulders isn't used for more than filling out a helmet you won't be successful.

Again, I'm not saying this kid is for sure our savior. **** King is a bad muthafker but he couldn't even turn this gimpy ship around. I hope Garcia is the goods, and I see some things that I like.
You can do much worse than Garcia. We made it out good this cycle. My argument is that we could have done better legitimately had we put the effort into it. We could have taken a few guys with more upside had we pushed

Advertisement
Back