Jake Garcia thoughts

You can do much worse than Garcia. We made it out good this cycle. My argument is that we could have done better legitimately had we put the effort into it. We could have taken a few guys with more upside had we pushed

I get what you're saying. That's definitely a matter of opinion that could spur on plenty of debate. I think that Lashlee sees an abundance of upside with this kid.

Advertisement
We NEEDED a QB in this class, and not a depth filler but someone who has the potential to compete with TVD and maybe become that dude down the line.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Kosi and Matocha bolt for the opportunity to compete somewhere else next year and although the prevailing thought/hope is that King will return, he could decide to declare. That's a lot of "If's", but it's not an impossible scenario where our QB room is just TVD, Lashlee and whatever non-scholly guys we have breaking down film had we not signed a Garcia.

I know, the portal. Problem with the Portal is you're limited to what's available and more often than not a portal QB is looking for the opportunity to start. So you bring in a guy to start for a year or two and maybe TVD starts thinking "**** this, I'm out". The portal is a crutch, getting a guy like King every time we need a starting QB isn't sustainable. The core of our QB room needs to be kids recruited specifically to run Lashlee's offense and developed by Lashlee. Garcia is a good first step.

I feel like goin in on you, but I won't. Already discussed this. I'm amazed that you were in love with Nkosi when he signed, but unhappy with this kid.
@Dwinstitles had less moping experience back then and was hoodwinked. Today he’s a seasoned, veteran mope who lives by the creeds of “I need to see elite across the board” and “if Saban don’t want him then I know he’s buns sauce.”

JG seems to be a little tougher runner.
But man, there are a lot of intangibles with Steve that are hard to quantify and compare with the limited film i've seen on this kid..
I was just thinking about accuracy. Is this kid that type of QB? I don’t watch a lot of highlights and I’m not one to remotely claim to know football.

Advertisement
Was loving me Nkosi maybe I'm wrong. We will see I don't trust anything Diaz does that's basically where I'm at right now. LCE doesn't like this kid as well is anyone going to call him out? I just don't want a statue unless he throws like like Jesus out there. Look at the comparison bruh.....Goff? Y'all kidding me? Thats a sunshine pumping type of statement. Now if he doesn't perform like that we are set up to destroy the kid. We keep comparing players to pro bowlers every class then when they fail we go in on them because of those reasons. I think we expect to much and set our minds up to think x player is sean taylor....(just an example of the exaggerations from homers)

That's all I'll say about it

You’re embarrassing man. Feeling good about something we do or someone we sign doesn’t make the person a sunshine pumper.

He's decent, again no big dogs beating the door down for him. Our o-line better get much better or he better get much faster.

Advertisement
look at Mac Jones also. Dude can’t move but he stands in the pocket and throws darts. I like dual threat QB’s but two of the QB’s up for the Heisman this year are less athletic than Garcia so not sure it matters if you have the right offense around you.
Mac Jones used to be able to run back in the day in highschool actually.

Advertisement
You can do much worse than Garcia. We made it out good this cycle. My argument is that we could have done better legitimately had we put the effort into it. We could have taken a few guys with more upside had we pushed
South, being familiar with Texas, what are your thoughts on the Davis kid that signed with Auburn?

Good programs sign a quarterback every year. Not just projects, but guys who can compete. Miami checked that box last night. Garcia seems flashy but he’s really a throwback: a smart, accurate and tough pocket passer from California. Miami has done well with that type.

I thought Garcia was overhyped when I first saw his clips. There are some Martell vibes with the transfers and the family. But his time in Georgia has changed my image of him. This is a guy who was already highly ranked with big offers. He could have sat out and quarantined with Instagram floozies. Instead, he moved cross-country to the heart of South Georgia just to play football. That says something.

In his first game, he led Valdosta to a comeback victory over a good Warner Robins team. When the state declared him ineligible (through no fault of his own), he transferred to Grayson and picked up another complex HS offense on the fly. Since then, he’s won every game and led them to the semifinals without their two best players. His ability to connect with different teammates is impressive, and our own commits recruited him harder than the coaches.

I can’t break it down like Roman, but after watching five full games (Buchanan, Warner Robins, Parkview, Harrison, West Forsyth) my comparison for Garcia would be a smaller Jared Goff. The Rams keep Goff clean with quick hitters, play action and bootlegs. When he has room to operate, he’s deadly. Garcia is the same way. His fundamentals are textbook and he has the arm talent to make every throw. Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a cop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue. He's also about his business on the field and not much of a talker.

Garcia’s make-or-break skill will be eluding the first defender. If he can’t do that consistently, he will struggle. But for all the talk about having a dual threat, the modern game is really about passing. Look at what guys like Kyle Trask and Shane Buechele have done this year.

Will he fail and transfer? It’s possible. The majority of blue-chip QBs do. But he has a chance, and healthy programs give themselves as many lotto tickets as possible at this position. Garcia can push TVD in a way that guys like Matocha can’t. Let the best man win.

“Despite his image, he's actually blue-collar. His dad was a cop who played at Nebraska, and Garcia will stand in his pocket and take hits with no issue.”

This sounds like a Tim & Eric sketch - starting QB at Nebraska is a grizzled blue collar cop.

I like That comparison of a Goff/Brad kaaya type of qb for sure with Garcia. He’s capable of running better than kaaya though for sure if need be so he’s not a statue by any means

Advertisement
Garcia will make the QB room competitive again - not including King. He's smart; the kid has picked up two offensive systems pretty quick this spring. He's a gamer; stands in and takes a hit to make a big throw. No one is saying he will be a Heisman contender but he will absolutely raise the level of that QB room and he comes in with the support of the entire offensive part of his class. I just don't see any downside to this and am not sure why all the negativity. Lashlee clearly wanted him - he didn't even recruit other guys that hard.

not to derail the thread but do you all feel like lashlee being heavily involved in garcia's recruitment would indicate that lashlee is at least going to be here next season?

I wouldn't read too much into it - coaches do this all the time...it's called being a professional. No different than when coaches are recruiting their butts off on the road only to take a job offer mid Feb.

As for Garcia, we needed to sign a QB this class. I don't think Matocha is the guy and as much as folks love hyping him, I'm not in the "All in for the *******" camp either. Need that comp.

Garcia being from Cali, eye’ve tryed knot two like him. Butt how he has played hear inn Georgia has impressed me.
At 2 different powerhouse programs at that in Georgia in Valdosta and Grayson : he’s shown he has the ability to adapt in whatever environment rather it be competition or new teammates. He can relate with anybody

Happy about yesterdays signees and thank God we got a QB, but I'm not falling for the post-signing day DMoney voodoo this year.

View attachment 138150
I’m falling for it. Kid is MATURE in his game and his demeanor. We have learned our lesson with immature players at key positions. I’ll give the staff credit there.

TVD and Garcia >>>>>>> Kosi, Jarren, Martell

Advertisement
Back