Jakai Clark has been moved to starter.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26015
  • Start date
Anything taller than 5'7 is plenty big enough to play an outside Corner spot, Amik Robertson was 5'8 & was complete bulldog playing Field Corner for La Tech. He had 60tcks 16PBU's & 5INT's his Junior year last year & got drafted in the 4th round.

Couch is legit 5'10 with crazy long arms, he's skinny & on the slender side but he's not too small to play Outside.

They don't play the younger Corners because this Defensive staff always defers to upperclassmen, they don't care how good a player is, if he hasn't been in the system for at least 2-3 years they're not gonna play them unless they have no choice due to injuries.

To be fair Ivey is close. I’m not calling him a goat or nothing.

We also can’t act as if he’s made 0 plays at Miami.

I think dude is just very average and he doesn’t have the speed to keep up with faster and quick twitch WR.

I don’t think he’s your best CB in man. Probably a better zone corner.

Advertisement
It's deserved, he's terrible.

People aren't being unreasonable or irrational, Ivey is not a starting caliber ACC CB, he's awful & there's no two ways about it.

I get that but this thread is about our center and three posts in it was already in full hijack mode. If people want to talk about Ivey all day have at it, but not every thread all day long.

Hmmmmmmm....

If only there was this thing called "practice" where the coaches were able to evaluate the kids each and every day for an entire week to see who is making mistakes, who is making plays, who understand the calls, who is giving us the best chance to win. Wow, that sure would be sweet.

But yeah... HOW DO YOU KNOW???
McCloud has been what he is since day 1. He's got athleticism and physique, and NO football instincts. He doesn't get it done with the angles he takes or his whiffs. He's not a good player.

I think it comes down to trust over athleticism. As far as I can tell Ivey isn't blowing a lot of coverages because he doesn't understand the defense. He frustrates fans because he doesnt turn his head and possible INTs become receptions, but he is at least where he is supposed to be. The other CBs may be more athletic but Baker would rather deal with the devil he knows.

As Baker just said in his press conference, CB play was average. So do we want average and “steady” or risk hypothetical blown coverages to play the younger kids?

Advertisement
Did Clark play last week? Did Traore put out that much bad film? Seems like a short leash considering we have guys starting elsewhere who have been ******* up for 2+ years. I do like Clark, think he played relatively well last year and has good movement skills. Not sure about his power run blocking though.
unless i'm mistaken, miami rolled with campbell-traore-gaynor-scaife-williams until about the final minute of the game when they went with nelson-clark-gaynor-reed-williams.

not sure if clark got any burn before then, but that seems to indicate justice feels alright about 8 guys right now.

People weren't unreasonable in their criticism of Bobyonce' either. Sometimes, guys just aren't very good, and on the backend, it usually and unfortunately shows up with TDs. They fck up, and it's 6.
Ivey had the most targets caught, gave up the most receiving yards & most TD's last year.

And he's already off to the same start this season, people keep trying to say he was in the right position on the Watkins TD but he wasn't, if he was he would've made a play on the ball, I already broke it down in the Ivey thread from a few days ago, but his technique is all off, he gives inside release & open his hips immediately off the line putting him at a disadvantage more than any CB I've seen in a long time. For size he doesn't understand how to jam & reroute the WR at all, his technique is subpar & compounded by the fact he's slow as ****.

He also had multiple plays where if UAB's QB didn't have a dollar store water pistol for an arm & made a good throw it would've went for a TD, Myrin Mitchell has Ivey beat by about 7-8yds on a route in the 3rd quarter, we just got good pressure on Johnston & he threw the ball short.

I'm as fair as can be & understand the difficulty of playing CB, that's my position so I know it firsthand, if there was a redeeming quality to Ivey's game I wouldn't criticize him as hard as I do, but the fact is he's just not any good & there's a mountain hill of evidence to support it on film.

OC's salivate watching Ivey on film.

Anything taller than 5'7 is plenty big enough to play an outside Corner spot, Amik Robertson was 5'8 & was complete bulldog playing Field Corner for La Tech. He had 60tcks 16PBU's & 5INT's his Junior year last year & got drafted in the 4th round.

Couch is legit 5'10 with crazy long arms, he's skinny & on the slender side but he's not too small to play Outside.

They don't play the younger Corners because this Defensive staff always defers to upperclassmen, they don't care how good a player is, if he hasn't been in the system for at least 2 years they're not gonna play them unless they have no choice due to injuries.
Couch is a tough kid too, so it's not like he won't put his hat in there and try to tackle. These dudes get so caught up in size queen **** that they lose track of the most important thing a CB needs to do--COVER PEOPLE. I don't care if he looks like a bodybuilder with his shirt off. Can he cover motherfckers?

Advertisement
To be fair Ivey is close. I’m not calling him a goat or nothing.

We also can’t act as if he’s made 0 plays at Miami.

I think dude is just very average and he doesn’t have the speed to keep up with faster and quick twitch WR.

I don’t think he’s your best CB in man. Probably a better zone corner.
No he's not, he's the worst CB on the team in coverage & any play he made was coming up in run support & tackling.

Idk what yall don't understand, he is not good. That's it, it's not some grand conspiracy, it's a proven fact, he's horrendous in coverage, Idk how many more examples yall need but just go back to last year's film, you don't even need to include the UAB game, he got roasted vs UNC, Central Michigan, UVA, GTech, FIU, Duke & La Tech.

I sense Fitzpatrick and Tutu having themselves a game. That JUCO kid will show out too.

Hope I'm wrong, but offense might have to take this one for us.

No he's not, he's the worst CB on the team in coverage & any play he made was coming up in run support & tackling.

Idk what yall don't understand, he is not good. That's it, it's not some grand conspiracy, it's a proven fact, he's horrendous in coverage, Idk how many more examples yall need but just go back to last year's film, you don't even need to include the UAB game, he got roasted vs UNC, Central Michigan, UVA, GTech, FIU, Duke & La Tech.

Then fire the defensive staff for continuing to not play their best players. There has to be some type accountability.

You definitely right in the fact that he’s been cooked....we all can admit that. We all have seen that.

Couch has fire in him from the few flashes we’ve seen. hustling after he got picked on the route to force the fumble on UAB WR that went out of bounds showed enough.

If Díaz is still not playing his best men he can get far and away from Miami.

Im cool with giving Couch burn. I’m just thinking that **** near millionaire coaches whose jobs are on the line would already play their best men.

If Díaz not doing that still Miami will still lose games they shouldn’t and he will get terminated. (Not rooting for the worst case. That’s just the reality)

Play your best people.

Advertisement

Liberty do you have any first hand knowledge as to how Williams is looking. I remember he got first team reps at one point in spring

Advertisement
You graded them different than the coaches? Care to share your notes on each play?
i dont have access to the coaches' grades and neither do you, but the PFF grades support my post.
Screenshot_20200911-112125_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like to see scaife because he got pushed around in the run game at times. The tackles held up great against the pass rush but most of the run issues I saw was interior. We could’ve had more long runs if scaife would’ve just touched a dl. Or held a block for a second.
Watch Scaife block on the long Td run.

Advertisement
Back