Jahmar Brown

We ain’t taking 12 trench players this cycle. I get you wanna improve the trenches but that’s crazyyyy.

Not crazy at all. We need 4 DEs minimum and 4 OL minimum. We're taking 3 DTs as well. So that's already 11. Wouldnt surprise me one bit to see us take a 4th DT either if Martin continues to struggle or Bethel blows up and looks like a mid round draft pick.

Advertisement
Considering they're very different types of players, I'm not sure I understand this

What don't you see with Brown? I don't see much difference between him and Solomon tbh. What is it that you don't like?

The thing that stands out between Pierre and brown is the comp they play against. BROWN consistently going against top level week in and week out

We ain’t taking 12 trench players this cycle. I get you wanna improve the trenches but that’s crazyyyy.
I know, i want 11. Either 5 oline n 6 dline or my preference 4 oline n 7 dline. I want 3 DTs 3 DEs n a player like Ingraham DE/DT. I also do expect a class bigger than 25.

Pierre was a role player for us, not an everyday starter. He would be a nice backup to Jennings in situations where we need the traditional MLB.

But we're clearly transitioning to a 4-2-5 with a WLB, SLB, and a striker, plus the standard 4 DBs behind them. We're in real danger of losing all of our starting MLBs after this year and have moved Jennings to WLB as well. Yet, you don't see us offering 809 MLBs, and didn't see us doing that last year either.

Our 2019 LBs will look like this:

WLB - Steed, Jennings, Brooks
SLB - McCloud, Wilder, Solomon

Huff will play either WLB or SLB. Pat Joyner will be a rush end.

At Striker - Finley, Jahmar Brown, Derrick Smith (who will also rotate with Hall at FS)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ive always liked Brown more than Solomon. And i like the role Solomon will have. Brown can run like the wind, but they are all rather small. Both about 6'0 190 right now. With a group of Brooks, Huff, Solomon, Brown though it will be extremely hard to get to the corners with the speed of them all being sub 4.7 40 kids except for Solomon.

I guess they're somewhat different, but Pierre has great upside and versatility to play 3 LB spots IMO, and fits the mold of the MIKE slot. We don't have a LB commit in this class that seems to fit that mold, and Brown and Solomon are very similar in terms of skillset and physical profile, but I think Solomon is superior. I'm less concerned about Solomon being on the smaller side than I am with Brown. I see Solomon as a better tackler, whereas Brown often gives up an extra yard and absorbs blows upon contact. I also think Solomon navigates through traffic better and closes on the ball, as well.

All of our current LB commits seem to be OLBs with differing skills. I'm not trying to say Pierre is irreplaceable, I just don't see anything special with Brown and see redundancy with Brown and Solomon. Eaford is a nice prospect that I'd be happy to get on board

Fair enough. Good eval. I agree there's definitely redundancy with him and the other LBs, and that Pierre would be a true middle.

I guess my thought is that we really need to get faster at LB, so I'm good with adding another guy like Brown. I'm also sort of wait and see on Brooks. If he's what he was pre-injury, he'll be a great addition. But serious knee injuries scare me, so I'm not sure I'd tell Brown no without knowing how Brooks will recover.

Pierre was a role player for us, not an everyday starter. He would be a nice backup to Jennings in situations where we need the traditional MLB.

But we're clearly transitioning to a 4-2-5 with a WLB, SLB, and a striker, plus the standard 4 DBs behind them. We're in real danger of losing all of our starting MLBs after this year and have moved Jennings to WLB as well. Yet, you don't see us offering 809 MLBs, and didn't see us doing that last year either.

Our 2019 LBs will look like this:

WLB - Steed, Jennings, Brooks
SLB - McCloud, Wilder, Solomon

Huff will play either WLB or SLB. Pat Joyner will be a rush end.

At Striker - Finley, Jahmar Brown, Derrick Smith (who will also rotate with Hall at FS)

I really think there’s a strong chance Joyner stays at DE after playing some there this year. He’s already at 225 before stepping on campus after being one of the top DE in Dade while playing at 210. Can easily see him being 235-240 by the LSU game.

This will allow us to add another LB along with Brown, who as you mentioned can also play Striker.

Ive always liked Brown more than Solomon. And i like the role Solomon will have. Brown can run like the wind, but they are all rather small. Both about 6'0 190 right now. With a group of Brooks, Huff, Solomon, Brown though it will be extremely hard to get to the corners with the speed of them all being sub 4.7 40 kids except for Solomon.
You think Brown or Solomon has the frame to put on a lot of weight to work inside? I noticed Brown working in traffic a little on his tape.

Advertisement
You think Brown or Solomon has the frame to put on a lot of weight to work inside? I noticed Brown working in traffic a little on his tape.

Brown more so than Solomon.I dont think Soloman would have a chance in the middle. He isnt that physical as is, and he is rather comfortable out in space. I dont like ANY of them inside..which is why i wish they add one guy that can man up in the middle of this group. Its a bunch of guys right now committed that can play outside though at a high level.

Part of me agrees with you, but on the positive side he is a smart, productive South Florida kid who tested well. 6’1, 192, 4.67, 35 VJ. His sophomore clips at Pace give a more complete picture of his game:

Thanks for posting. I do like more of what i see from the Sophomore year tape

Advertisement
He will easily be a 4 Star as the season starts. However; we do need that hoss in the middle. We got speed guys on the outside, but we need a commander in the middle.

Pass on another undersized LBer, taking too many from the same school already. We should pass on taking another lber all together. 3 is good enough this class.

The only way we should take him is if he redshirts and put on weight to play MLB. I do love his tape from his Sophomore year & it makes me think he can play in the middle a few years from now.

Advertisement
Back