Ivins: Now what on CB's

Advertisement
I like McBurrows, but the fact that we're having to seek out grad transfers again speaks to the ongoing struggles with CB recruiting. Manny and Rumph need to address this as we're heading into year 6 with the same issues.

so this is two fold now with the new rules. I think it’s similar to the NBA draft.

NBA teams don’t even care about picks anymore. They trade them for proven players. Miami seems to be going that route. If they can’t get their top targets, they will just hit the portal for established good players instead of taking a risk on highschool kid.

the portal has changed recruiting. Yes you want to keep building from the ground up but saving a few spots for old veterans who can come in day one and play is better than giving some random 3 star a scholarship at the last second.

I like McBurrows, but the fact that we're having to seek out grad transfers again speaks to the ongoing struggles with CB recruiting. Manny and Rumph need to address this as we're heading into year 6 with the same issues.
Hopefully they address it by hiring a new DB. At this point it’s ridiculous that a Power 5 team has this many struggles recruiting one position.

Advertisement
Miami still the team to beat for Garcia and they feel Very good behind the scenes

– The Hurricanes keep chipping away at Michigan three-star cornerback commit Ja'Den McBurrows. While the feisty St. Thomas Aquinas defender hasn't done anything publicly to indicate that he's wavering on his pledge to the Wolverines, it sounds like it's a different story behind the scenes. If Miami is going to sign a true high school corner on Wednesday, McBurrows is the odds-on favorite to be the guy, but that doesn't mean he's the only one in play as UM has also spoken to Pensacola Catholic Top247 cornerback DaMarius McGhee's camp in recent days. It will be interesting to see how LSU does against Florida this weekend and if another blowout loss could change McGhee's thoughts on the Tigers.

Things could heat up in the portal after next Wednesday

Barber could finalize his recruitment after his state title game

My god were striking out again at CB

Rumph and whoever else people on this board like to blame as well is flat out amazing to drop the ball like this

At this point idc who it is that’s recruiting CB’s. Something needs to change. Any person I’m within the program that’s not on that page needs to be let go. It’s unacceptable at this point. Even for a coach that doesn’t prioritize amazing CB play in his scheme, to have NOTHING when you’re in the most fertile area in the country for skill position players is wild. You could pay me significantly less than these guys on staff to do a better recruiting job.

so this is two fold now with the new rules. I think it’s similar to the NBA draft.

NBA teams don’t even care about picks anymore. They trade them for proven players. Miami seems to be going that route. If they can’t get their top targets, they will just hit the portal for established good players instead of taking a risk on highschool kid.

the portal has changed recruiting. Yes you want to keep building from the ground up but saving a few spots for old veterans who can come in day one and play is better than giving some random 3 star a scholarship at the last second.
Can’t say that I disagree with this approach in that you take the proven commodity over the “project’. But you take the blue chip over the transfer.
it all makes sense, but it still feels born out of inability to effectively recruit cornerbacks. Unless corners have the highest failure rate among blue chip recruits in which case you could argue that the analytics favor transfers. But I’ve never done or seen a position-by-position success/failure analysis to know if this is analytical strategy or just patching holes due to recruiting failures. I suspect the latter.

Advertisement
Can’t say that I disagree with this approach in that you take the proven commodity over the “project’. But you take the blue chip over the transfer.
it all makes sense, but it still feels born out of inability to effectively recruit cornerbacks. Unless corners have the highest failure rate among blue chip recruits in which case you could argue that the analytics favor transfers. But I’ve never done or seen a position-by-position success/failure analysis to know if this is analytical strategy or just patching holes due to recruiting failures. I suspect the latter.
Calling @Lance Roffers !

Completely disagree on whether Miami is "going that route". If Miami had its way and landed Marshall, we would have filled all 24 ICs with HS kids in August.

Since that time, our best performers have been transfers, so I think that this is a chance to parlay that "Portal U" rep into something nice in a year where there will probably be some sort of an increase or change to the IC rules.

Smart timing, smart use of our rep. If we hit 10 wins and knock down a few more high-quality transfers, we should clean up in HS recruiting next year, even more than we did this year. And when that happens, I wouldn't expect us to hit the portal as hard in the future.

NBA teams don’t even care about picks anymore. They trade them for proven players.
Miami seems to be going that route. If they can’t get their top targets, they will just hit the portal for established good players instead of taking a risk on highschool kid.

Like Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro and Precious Achiuwa?

Picks will always be highly valued in sports. NBA teams trade low 1st rounders or future 1sts way in the distance because it's a star-driven league and you have to appease stars or they demand out. The cap limits roster flexibility so trading picks is one of the only ways to add value to a trade and upgrade talent with equivalent salary. The Wall-Westbrook trade is a good example on both accounts.

Advertisement

This is a stupid approach. No competent staff in CFB should be doing this approach. The portal should be used sparingly not relied on. The purpose of recruiting, alongside building depth is development of players for 3+ years, and if you’re lucky you grab a blue chipper good enough to start as True Freshman. f— grabbing someone from the portal, who may or may not sit out for a year. And even when they’re granted a waiver they will opt out anyways after 1 good season.

Its not that we didn't want HS CBs, we're recruited high level CBs and for some reason barely recruited other CBs. It's a failure by the staff, it's strange because we recruited every other position well. Again I wish somebody and the media would ask what happened.

The only time something like this happens is when a coach is about to leave or be fired.

Advertisement
Why doesn't anyone want to play CB for us? 😭
1607705260427.gif

Miami getting grown *** men ready to play right now.

Advertisement
Back