Ivins: Now what on CB's

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
With Burns gone, Miami is expected to keep expanding it's cornerback board and it wouldn't be surprising to see a new offer or two go out. One name to know is Khalil Anderson. The Pittsburgh commit has impressed as a senior at Atlanta Riverwood working out on the boundary and looks comfortable in man coverage. Clemson reportedly is doing its homework on Anderson and it sounds like the Panthers already have some backup plans in place in case the four-star were to open things back up.

Marvin Covington told InsideTheU's Gaby Urrutia on Monday that he remains in contact with the Hurricanes. The three-star out of Mansfield Lane Ridge in Texas has plenty of speed having gone 10.84 in the 100-meter dash. Covington should be considered every bit of an option for UM, but it will be interesting to see who all gets involved in the recruitment after TCU offered last week as distance could be a factor, especially if he's signing early.

– Mike Rumph continues to talk with Bradenton IMG Academy's Markevious Brown. It remains unclear, however, when exactly the Pahokee native plans to make a commitment as those recruiting Brown haven't really gotten a solid answer as to when the four-star intends to make a decision.

– Miami recently made contact with Michigan State commit Charles Brantley. The three-star out of Venice has added some weight over the past six months or so and looks to be physical at the point of attack. That's a trait that Diaz and his assistants covet in the secondary, although it doesn't sound like Brantley should be considered a flip target just yet.

– For those wondering who sits atop the board right now, it's probably Terrion Arnold. Most view the Top247 defender out of Tallahassee as a safety at the next level, but the Hurricanes think he can get it done at cornerback. Arnold hasn't tipped his cap as to which was he's leaning, but the general feeling right now is that Florida and other SEC schools are out in front.

– It's a down cycle locally for corners, but someone that it Miami make sense for Miami to make a move on given senior tape is Michigan commit Ja'Den McBurrows. The three-star out of Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas is saying all the right things about the Wolverines right now, but who knows what happens if some changes take place in Ann Arbor.

– Another name that came up Monday is Tennessee commits Damarius McGhee. The Hurricanes haven't forgotten about the four-star out of Pensacola Catholic and could try to take advantage of the Volunteers' four-game losing streak.

Advertisement
So basically we have nothing. Anyone who thinks this staff dropped Burns because they have “bigger fish to fry” is delusional.

Cut the crap. Not that it's the "right" thing to do, but Miami could have pulled Burns' scholarship at any point before he signs. So let's not make up nonsense about Miami not having other targets with some amount of certainty.

Given all the Marshall drama, I can completely understand why Miami is going to keep the CB recruiting close to the vest.

Cut the crap. Not that it's the "right" thing to do, but Miami could have pulled Burns' scholarship at any point before he signs. So let's not make up nonsense about Miami not having other targets with some amount of certainty.

Given all the Marshall drama, I can completely understand why Miami is going to keep the CB recruiting close to the vest.

We seem to finish strong with CB’s ( rolls eyes)

it’s cool to have targets but you got to land the kids and we have shown over the last 5 years that we struggle to do that.

Advertisement
I’m wondering if the flip is not in a different position altogether. I still don’t agree with dropping a CB as we are beyond thin in this group and it could get worse. But what if Maason Smith gave the coaches an indication that he is ready to commit? While Savion Collins seems the most likely to be dropped, what if they are concerned that this would actually have an impact on Taylor (Savion indicated that they were tight in an interview but I don’t see it otherwise)?
While Rumph looks terrible with this (and I don’t discount that this was likely not his call) I think that we owe it to the staff for this to play out. We are 6-1 with a single loss to the #1 team at the time. The attitude/culture seems to be changing before our eyes. We should be more attractive to higher tier talent. Let’s see what goes down before we rush to judgements.

Another staff at um, another staff allowing isht like this in south Florida smh!!! This has to be allowed at the top of the school. Think if this was the top flight programs. Rumph would be gone by now!

– Mike Rumph continues to talk with Bradenton IMG Academy's Markevious Brown. It remains unclear, however, when exactly the Pahokee native plans to make a commitment as those recruiting Brown haven't really gotten a solid answer as to when the four-star intends to make a decision.
Safe to say Brown isn't coming here.

Advertisement
We seem to finish strong with CB’s ( rolls eyes)

Stop being a pvssy. I'm not defending anyone or attacking anyone.

But I can deal with the reality that we only see the tip of the iceberg. For anyone to think that, months before signing day, we would drop a long-time commit at a position of need with NO ASSURANCES from other recruits and NO PROSPECTS on replacements is just comical.

it’s cool to have targets but you got to land the kids and we have shown over the last 5 years that we struggle to do that.

But those are two different things. You are one person (of many, to be fair) operating off of an analysis of "the last 5 years".

If we are ever going to change the narrative, we have to change the narrative. And if the staff is PUSHING OUT a long-time commit, then there MIGHT be a narrative change in the offing.

I'm not saying there is or isn't, with certainty. I'm simply pointing out some obvious CURRENT facts. We had Marshall ready to commit, before the info got out and the Gaytors raised their bag offer. So...oh...I don't know...MAYBE MANNY WANTS TO BE STEALTHY if we are trying to flip a cornerback or three.

So let's stop the slump-shouldered moping over "the last 5 years". Did we have a history of bad QBs? Sure, and we finally changed the narrative. I could say the same about bad punters and kickers, and now we have Lou and Joe.

Why can't people stop whining for 2-3 months. If we fail to sign any decent CBs, you've got the rest of your life to complain.

We are doing a better job of recruiting every other position in this cycle, but there is VALID cause to be quiet and surgical and downright assassin-like on these last couple of spots.

No need to create 100 different "fire Rumph" threads, when the decision to drop Burns obviously came from the top.

Advertisement
Stop being a pvssy. I'm not defending anyone or attacking anyone.

But I can deal with the reality that we only see the tip of the iceberg. For anyone to think that, months before signing day, we would drop a long-time commit at a position of need with NO ASSURANCES from other recruits and NO PROSPECTS on replacements is just comical.

You act like it’s uncommon for this ****show staff to be left at the altar.

You have been around long enough to know there are no assurances in college recruiting especially when it comes to UM.

Stop talking and show me!

Advertisement
Wow!!! Hopefully, we've already landed our targets and they're just waiting to go public. If we end up with nothing at the CB position, but our d1cks in our hands, it will be an epic failure.

I’m wondering if the flip is not in a different position altogether. I still don’t agree with dropping a CB as we are beyond thin in this group and it could get worse. But what if Maason Smith gave the coaches an indication that he is ready to commit? While Savion Collins seems the most likely to be dropped, what if they are concerned that this would actually have an impact on Taylor (Savion indicated that they were tight in an interview but I don’t see it otherwise)?
While Rumph looks terrible with this (and I don’t discount that this was likely not his call) I think that we owe it to the staff for this to play out. We are 6-1 with a single loss to the #1 team at the time. The attitude/culture seems to be changing before our eyes. We should be more attractive to higher tier talent. Let’s see what goes down before we rush to judgements.
Can’t tell if this is satire or not, Maason Smith is never coming here and never was

Advertisement
Back