Ivins: Now what on CB's

But those are two different things. You are one person (of many, to be fair) operating off of an analysis of "the last 5 years".

If we are ever going to change the narrative, we have to change the narrative. And if the staff is PUSHING OUT a long-time commit, then there MIGHT be a narrative change in the offing.

I'm not saying there is or isn't, with certainty. I'm simply pointing out some obvious CURRENT facts. We had Marshall ready to commit, before the info got out and the Gaytors raised their bag offer. So...oh...I don't know...MAYBE MANNY WANTS TO BE STEALTHY if we are trying to flip a cornerback or three.

So let's stop the slump-shouldered moping over "the last 5 years". Did we have a history of bad QBs? Sure, and we finally changed the narrative. I could say the same about bad punters and kickers, and now we have Lou and Joe.

Why can't people stop whining for 2-3 months. If we fail to sign any decent CBs, you've got the rest of your life to complain.

We are doing a better job of recruiting every other position in this cycle, but there is VALID cause to be quiet and surgical and downright assassin-like on these last couple of spots.

No need to create 100 different "fire Rumph" threads, when the decision to drop Burns obviously came from the top.
This screams of misplaced optimism. We've seen the same defensive staff fumble recruiting 5 years in a row. Expecting anything else while we look at bare depth at CB with zero corners committed at the 11th hour of this cycle is mismanagement. What you're going to see is Miami going deep in the transfer portal for corners.

Advertisement
You act like it’s uncommon for this ****show staff to be left at the altar.

You have been around long enough to know there are no assurances in college recruiting especially when it comes to UM.

Stop talking and show me!

But, apparently it's up to us (the fans) to change the narrative. Don't know where people get this false sense of reassurance from the defensive side of the ball in terms of recruiting.

What if our current CB’s said they are returning since this season doesn’t count and we are using the scholarship for another position? They could all use the year to improve everything. Either way Burns shouldn’t have been dropped without having someone signed.
We have 5 CBs on the roster, two of which are true freshman. Manny taking this stance would deserve to be fired for stupidity. This is not the path they're taking, if it was, they wouldn't have even recruited Burns in the first place or eyeing up other CBs.

Advertisement
What if our current CB’s said they are returning since this season doesn’t count and we are using the scholarship for another position? They could all use the year to improve everything. Either way Burns shouldn’t have been dropped without having someone signed.
You would still like to see some CBs signed so that when they do leave we have a mixture of classmen and not just Freshman out there day one.

I would love if a reporter asked Manny flat out what the plan is for CB recruiting. The Boston media can be absurd, but for the most part they at least ask the questions fans want answered. Instead we will just get Susan asking about a tackle a player made and how it made them feel.

The Boston Media is absolutely absurd, if you listen to sports talk radio the past 10 years you'd think the Patriots were a perennial bottom dweller between the hot takes and delusional callers. I suppose it's like that everywhere but given the amount of success the city has seen recently its insane to reflect on the lack of perspective out there

Advertisement
Imagine if at the end of last season we all knew we'd be 6-1 right now.

I'm so glad social media wasn't around in the early 00's, because this board would be apoplectic at the uniform choices, especially the socks, of the '01-'03 teams.

The Boston Media is absolutely absurd, if you listen to sports talk radio the past 10 years you'd think the Patriots were a perennial bottom dweller between the hot takes and delusional callers. I suppose it's like that everywhere but given the amount of success the city has seen recently its insane to reflect on the lack of perspective out there
It is borderline insane. Red Sox probably get it the worst. It’s gotten to the point that free agents don’t want to play in Boston because of how toxic the media can be. However, it does create a ton of accountability and IMO has contributed to why The city of Boston has so many championships over the past 20 years.

Advertisement
Starting to wonder about this Rumph situation. I mean, I remember him playing here and getting drafted. And I remember him coaching at AH. But after that, I'm not so sure what happened to him. I'm starting to believe we don't actually have a CB coach and this is all just some conspiracy. Our CBs all kind of stay the same through their whole career here. No real improvement or regression. Hes never in any of those videos the team puts out. I don't see him on the sidelines or in the booth during games. His twitter consists of nothing more than some random re-tweets and likes. Our CB recruiting only seems to pick up in December when one of our other coaches is like, oh **** we forgot to recruit CBs again. And the only photo taken of "him" in the last 5 years was of a black man sitting at a computer with a chihuahua on his lap. Color me skeptical.

Starting to wonder about this Rumph situation. I mean, I remember him playing here and getting drafted. And I remember him coaching at AH. But after that, I'm not so sure what happened to him. I'm starting to believe we don't actually have a CB coach and this is all just some conspiracy. Our CBs all kind of stay the same through their whole career here. No real improvement or regression. Hes never in any of those videos the team puts out. I don't see him on the sidelines or in the booth during games. His twitter consists of nothing more than some random re-tweets and likes. Our CB recruiting only seems to pick up in December when one of our other coaches is like, oh **** we forgot to recruit CBs again. And the only photo taken of "him" in the last 5 years was of a black man sitting at a computer with a chihuahua on his lap. Color me skeptical.
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Are you saying he doesn't really exist? lol

Advertisement
Stop being a pvssy. I'm not defending anyone or attacking anyone.

But I can deal with the reality that we only see the tip of the iceberg. For anyone to think that, months before signing day, we would drop a long-time commit at a position of need with NO ASSURANCES from other recruits and NO PROSPECTS on replacements is just comical.
I really hope you are right. UM’s and Rumph’s track record under Manny in landing quality and quantity CBs is very poor. We will find out Dec 18 right?

It is borderline insane. Red Sox probably get it the worst. It’s gotten to the point that free agents don’t want to play in Boston because of how toxic the media can be. However, it does create a ton of accountability and IMO has contributed to why The city of Boston has so many championships over the past 20 years.

I'd agree about the Sox, Tuukka Rask from the Bruins is another one that's completely unfair. The guy has the best save percentage in the playoffs, of any goalie EVER and he's treated like a chump.

I also agree that there's a standard that's been set that the athletes who play in Boston feel they need to live up to. But to your point, it is a double-edge sword with respect to attracting free agents.

Advertisement
Back