Ivins: Now what on CB's

They either gotta get rid of Rumph or hire ppl to recruit for him. This is just silly at this point.
I think they're in a bit of a standoff.

Manny doesn't want to fire him for optic reasons among others, so he banishes him to the box upstairs, doesn't allow him to recruit -- kinda sending him a message.

Problem is Rumph isn't going on his own or seeking employment elsewhere bc who tf would turn down 200 + K check to basically just coach?

They're like this old married couple that barely speaks or interacts and you're just like "why don't y'all just get divorced already?" to which both parties kinda just shrug and say "I don't know, why don't you go ask them?"

Advertisement
I like McBurrows, but the fact that we're having to seek out grad transfers again speaks to the ongoing struggles with CB recruiting. Manny and Rumph need to address this as we're heading into year 6 with the same issues.
Rumph can’t just continue to sham like this. Enough is enough. Not only is he not recruiting but he’s killing these boys future. None of our corners over the years have really developed under Rumph. ****, I like the guy but sheesh. Manny has given enough free money. Now it’s time to find someone who will work for it.

Can’t say that I disagree with this approach in that you take the proven commodity over the “project’. But you take the blue chip over the transfer.
it all makes sense, but it still feels born out of inability to effectively recruit cornerbacks. Unless corners have the highest failure rate among blue chip recruits in which case you could argue that the analytics favor transfers. But I’ve never done or seen a position-by-position success/failure analysis to know if this is analytical strategy or just patching holes due to recruiting failures. I suspect the latter.

yeah that would be interesting to see bust rate for CB. I feel like O-line is the best position to bring in top transfers but there isn’t enough good ones out there typically. Skill position guys are divas and seem to opt out more so far.

Advertisement
Yeah, Rumph is an excellent coach. And I’ve been around him in a professional setting. He was a very likable, impressive dude as far as college coaches go. The most notorious recruiting misses weren’t misses at all. Those dudes were not in the budget. But the general poor recruiting of that position is hard to understand and it needs to be fixed.

Just a quick recap into what m research showed for what to look for in any prospect: Elite athleticism.

Quick sampling of top-20's in my database for athleticism:

CB.JPG

RB.JPG

WR.JPG

TE.JPG

OL.JPG

DE.JPG

DT.JPG

LB.JPG

S.JPG

Advertisement
Just a quick recap into what m research showed for what to look for in any prospect: Elite athleticism.

Quick sampling of top-20's in my database for athleticism:

View attachment 137395

View attachment 137396

View attachment 137397

View attachment 137398

View attachment 137399

View attachment 137400

View attachment 137401

View attachment 137402

View attachment 137403
For DB I like to look at shuttle and vertical.
A 36" vert and shuttle below 4.15 is above average for athleticism in the nfl. That WR list should show that athleticism helps but isnt necessary to be good or great. Still would look at shuttle tho.

Advertisement
“McBurrows says looking back at his recruitment that if UM had offered him a year ago and stayed on him hard from that point he’d probably be a Cane commit right now.”

Per Canesport article this morning. And people wonder why we can’t stand many on this defensive staff.

“McBurrows says looking back at his recruitment that if UM had offered him a year ago and stayed on him hard from that point he’d probably be a Cane commit right now.”

Per Canesport article this morning. And people wonder why we can’t stand many on this defensive staff.
Remember manny comes from the Mack brown coaching tree. The same Mack brown that locked up his class at junior day and stopped recruiting until those guys signed. And he also coached for mullet. Who sucks at recruiting

How many fu***** times have we heard this from players down here...sigh.

Advertisement

Would love to hear context of how that question was asked. Not saying that the staff hasn't dropped the ball with CB recruiting but this seems to be a convenient excuse that a lot of local kids make, warranted or not.

There was a guy that said he shouldve been a top priority a year ago.

New recruiting strategy - when you sign your kid up for Pop Warner football in South Florida it comes with a (non-commitable) scholarship offer from the University of Miami.

jeff goldblum checkmate GIF

Advertisement
Back