Ivins: “numbers situation”

I agree...but I think the only change you can make is simply just increasing it from 25 to something like 28 maybe. I think it has to stay black and white or schools will continue finding loopholes or 'creative solutions' to take more kids. I like the flat number because it keeps as level a playing field as possible.

Remember when Ole Miss (I think it was them) took something like 40 kids one year?
Yeah agreed mate. Not sure which school it was, I thought it was Ole Miss also

Advertisement
Yeah agreed mate. Not sure which school it was, I thought it was Ole Miss also
It was Ole Miss.
Screenshot_20200125-193108_Chrome.jpg

Wasn’t Butch known for this, as well?
Yes, I remember this strategy from the Butch era. He would convince a recruit to wait until the following Spring to enroll. This would give the recruit an extra Spring practice before his freshman season and let Butch manipulate the annual scholarship limits. IIRC.

It’s also a lot easier for a state school to ask a kid to enroll and pay for a year ( oR the team pay) at say 25 grand than to ask a kids parents to pay 50-60 grand that it takes at say a Miami or Stanford.
That aside, they have better walk ons for depth and their boosters pay for first rounders to stick around their senior season. And kids transfer out less often.

All else said, UM’s rooster management has been as awful as everything else on the program.

Advertisement
Yes, I remember this strategy from the Butch era. He would convince a recruit to wait until the following Spring to enroll. This would give the recruit an extra Spring practice before his freshman season and let Butch manipulate the annual scholarship limits. IIRC.

That’s what I recall reading. He found a loop hole to rebuild depth, and there was nothing the NCAA could do. Mastermind.

LoL, question, can someone or ivins remind us what was the benefit of having all these early enrollee's again!

Advertisement
If we have one spot left, gotta take a OT.

If we have two spots left, get a OT & a CB.

But question, is this just for Spring enrollees or will any Summer/Fall enrollees count towards the IC's as well?

Are we in the running for that FIU CB, Meiko, still? That would be my ideal, get that kid and the OT from Vandy.

Advertisement
You can't go over 25. Think February to February. 25 per calendar year.

For simplicity:

We sign 18 on February signing day.

December early signing 20 kids and 7 are early enrollees. Since the early enrollees are in before February you can count those back to the previous signing day.

18 + 7 early enrollees = previous years cap

20 -7 = 13 for the current year meaning we could take a combo of 12 more signees/transfers/etc. To hit the next cap.

On paper it would look like we took a class of 32 but 7 are back counted.

Or save some for early enrollees again. Rinse and repeat.

Kids leaving does not free up extra spots.

Yes, but your "examples" are what give people the wrong ideas.

First, the "February signing day" is not the only number that counts. Sure, we "signed 18" and then we took a bunch of portal guys. So, you CAN'T just look at the signing class to calculate numbers.

Second, Miami had NCAA scholarship losses, another reason why we could not quite reload on our numbers.

Third, we have no more countbacks, so everyone just needs to stop mentioning that as a possibility for being able to sign more than 25.

If we EVER get over 25, it will be due to the mid-year graduation exception, or some similar exemption (like trying to get the NCAA to not count Asa Martin from last year).

Advertisement
That’s what I recall reading. He found a loop hole to rebuild depth, and there was nothing the NCAA could do. Mastermind.
Butch had the advantage of doing this in 1995. Butch wouldn’t be able to do anything of what he did back in the day in today’s climate. In 95 Coaches from the KKK school would still have to go into those neighborhoods to make contact with a kid cause let’s be real, not all of them had home phones. The options of those kids were 1/10th I’d what they are today. The internet made this world a very small place and the cell phone and social media made it easy to “build relationships”

Last edited:
That doesn't matter you can only take 25 a calendar year. I don't know why this is still brought up so much. It's clear cut.

This is why our roster turnover and kids leaving early ***** us. We need the Juniors to return to get up near the roster limit.

Please explain to me then how Penn State signed 27 kids on the December early signing day???

i believe it was stated he manipulated the gray shirt rule during our probation period, and the NCAA couldn’t do anything about it.

No.

He got Andre King to "walk on" after playing pro baseball. And he signed Santana Moss to a track scholarship. And Joaquin Gonzalez got an academic scholarship (and chose not to go to Harvard).

None of those were grayshirt situations, they were simply efforts to evade the overall scholarship limitation due to NCAA probation.

Please explain to me then how Penn State signed 27 kids on the December early signing day???

It has been explained a million times.

Perhaps Ped State had 1 or 2 countbacks left (Miami does not), or 1 or 2 Mid-Year Graduation exceptions.

Every school's situation is unique.

Advertisement
Back