Ivins: “numbers situation”

Advertisement
How can you oversign if you have to stay at 85? I know you can go over 25 but if you have under 85, it's not oversigning. I guess that's where I get confused

You can't go over 25. Think February to February. 25 per calendar year.

For simplicity:

We sign 18 on February signing day.

December early signing 20 kids and 7 are early enrollees. Since the early enrollees are in before February you can count those back to the previous signing day.

18 + 7 early enrollees = previous years cap

20 -7 = 13 for the current year meaning we could take a combo of 12 more signees/transfers/etc. To hit the next cap.

On paper it would look like we took a class of 32 but 7 are back counted.

Or save some for early enrollees again. Rinse and repeat.

Kids leaving does not free up extra spots.

Juniors have been leaving for years and from every program. We've been under the limit for a decade

Yes but the rules were different until 2018. Kids declaring early is much more detrimental now.

Our roster has been mismanaged for 15+ years. That doesn't mean the new rules aren't adding extra strain on the roster.

Advertisement
there has to be changes. the transfer portal will never allow teams to be at full strength thus opening the possibility for player injuries etc. think they should stick to the 25 new kids out of high school then teams are allowed to add the number of kids who transferred out.
say it again for the people in the back!!!

It has to do with the NCAA hardlining the 25 player limit per recruiting class. The transfers can still come in May but it’ll still be limited.

We got 3 grad transfers and bunch of EEs, can't they back count to even things out?

Advertisement
2020 class scholarship seats.

I don't believe Miami practices the Gray-Blue shirt garbage that Bama is notorious for.
Miami should have, because that was just a fancy set of names for what you do to keep your rooster stuffed and your talent high.

But it doesn’t matter anymore, because the blue and grey shirt era effectively with the new rules in 2017.

we have four wrs eeing. We didn’t wanna grad transfer wr bc we didn’t wanna lose current kids to transfer. Ivins said ol is the next target w the only spot left. Likey 2 spots bc moise isn’t qualifying
If only two spots, Canes will be playing with one hand tied behind their backs. Max ships of 79 is no Bueno and this is assuming no other transfers, quitters, and guys getting injured.

My prediction is Diaz will be playing with about 70 'ship players come September.

Advertisement
Initial counters and why taking lots of transfers a year can really hurt your roster is my guess.

Taking grad transfers any years can really hurt numbers.

25 IC x 4 = 100 max in 4 years.
4 transfers out, NFL entries, x 4 = 16
84 scholarship players

If you ever have more than 4 guys leave per year or bring in a guy with 1 year eligibility left, you'll never be at max levels. Depth will suffer. Quality of practice can suffer. Injuries have greater impact.

How many years has Miami not lost 4+ players?

If only two spots, Canes will be playing with one hand tied behind their backs. Max ships of 79 is no Bueno and this is assuming no other transfers, quitters, and guys getting injured.

My prediction is Diaz will be playing with about 70 'ship players come September.
We're at 78 now if every member of the recruiting class enrolls for fall camp.

Advertisement
I agree. It is confusing lol. I just know we can’t sign Ovee 25 unless count forwards or back. We can’t count back. Can count forward but won’t bc of 21 class
Is there a way to “continually” count forward (this year count forward and then for the 21 class count forward in perpetuity)?

Advertisement
Back