Its time to start the rebuild...

Plenty of qualified candidates. The problem is, as I have stated 1000s of times, we have no leadership. Our AD is an unqualified simp who acts as a puppet for an apathetic BOTs. Let's assume the following:

1. Coach L retires/quits.
2. We offer the next coach the exact same contract (e.g. ~$2.0MM/year) so no additional $$$.
3. We replaced Blake James with an AI who was only capable of extending said contract to a qualified coach. That is it.

------------

The following guys, in no particular order, are qualified (current salary) and will be getting opportunities at better schools soon:

1. Craig Smith at Utah State (after his current raise, he makes ~$850K)
2. Chris Jans at New Mexico State (~$500K)
3. Russell Turner at UC Irvine (~$500K)
4. Wes Miller at UNCG (~$350K)
5. Pat Kelsey at Winthrop (~$300K)
6. Brian Dutcher at SDSU (~$900K)

My point is without making much of an effort, if you simply offered these guys an insane raise and the opportunity to coach in the ACC, you would be in the running for many of these guys.

Our problem is self-inflicted. We've taken a self-inflicted cancer approach to athletics. This is why these simple tasks seem insurmountable.
I feel like James does a good job with facilities (most were brought up to date soon after he took over) he struggles knowing how to get each program up to speed.

Advertisement
I feel like James does a good job with facilities (most were brought up to date soon after he took over) he struggles knowing how to get each program up to speed.

I am not going to go back and forth with you about this...Blake James is awful at everything. He is a loser.

Yes, upgrades occurred under his watch but that is like saying Donna Shalala was responsible for the 2001 national championship simply because she was president on the date the game took place.

I don't know why some of you think that our HC position is a bad one. How could we possibly attract a candidate? We'd be lucky to get anyone!

Our HC position is a very good opportunity. It isn't the best opportunity but it is a very good opportunity. The current coach proved you can have legitimate success here. The current coach made in excess of $2MM and that was cheap; we can afford more. We play in the most challenging conference with the most notoriety. Our games are on real TV. In addition, maybe some of you are unfamiliar with Coral Gables and what it offers. My guess is these people never stepped foot on campus, but this isn't really relevant.

I've said this before but I don't think some of you realize the disparity between our HC position and a mid-major program. Some of these qualified candidates make 1/5 the salary Coach L made. Some hardly ever have the opportunity to coach on TV. Some may realize that they've hit the ceiling at their current program and want a new challenge. Some may just want to be an HC in Coral Gables.

We have the resources to do much more. Our problems are self-inflicted. The only thing preventing us from having more success is ourselves.

With his Iowa and Creighton roots, I would wonder about his East Coast recruiting. But ... from a pure coaching standpoint, Darian DeVries, head coach at Drake in Des Moines, is a name I'd be interested in having considered.

44 yrs old. 24, 20 and 25 wins in each of his last three seasons. Probably earning $500-600K a year. They were talking extension a few months ago when Drake jumped off 15-0, but don't know status of that.

He definitely is moving up. I really like that he coached under Dana Altman for ~10 seasons. I am curious if Altman tried to bring him to Oregon.

As it stands today, I think DeVries has more to do: (1) Win the conference, and (2) dominate said conference. I think Porter Moser may be the best HC in the MVC. DeVries is 2-5 against Moser.

He definitely is moving up. I really like that he coached under Dana Altman for ~10 seasons. I am curious if Altman tried to bring him to Oregon.

As it stands today, I think DeVries has more to do: (1) Win the conference, and (2) dominate said conference. I think Porter Moser may be the best HC in the MVC. DeVries is 2-5 against Moser.
Moser is impressive as **** (as we found out). The MVC produces a lot of great coaches and very underrated teams.

Think how hard it is to recruit to some of their locales. You REALLY have to work to identify "sleepers" in HS, JuCos and foreign players. Recruiting to Miami (great location, far better league/exposure, etc.) should be a comparative snap, yet somehow it isn't.

Advertisement
A rebuild would be nice; and welcomed. However, we know what kind of AD Blake James is--an incompetent coward.

He's afraid, or too stupid, to look outside of Coral Gables for his coaching hires. Stayed in-house for baseball, and paid to bring Diaz back. Don't even think he bothered to look at other coaching candidates.

One of two things will happen for 2021:

1. L is not fired or force-retired and comes back because what makes you think James has the balls to fire him?
2. L blesses us by retiring like Richt did only for the cowardly AD to promote Caputo to HC

There's no point in even talking about underwhelming hires that have been brought up in this thread like Konkol or Huger, let alone a home run like Pitino. James is a COWARD and unqualified and he will make the easiest, safest, stupidest hire possible.

A rebuild would be nice; and welcomed. However, we know what kind of AD Blake James is--an incompetent coward.

He's afraid, or too stupid, to look outside of Coral Gables for his coaching hires. Stayed in-house for baseball, and paid to bring Diaz back. Don't even think he bothered to look at other coaching candidates.

One of two things will happen for 2021:

1. L is not fired or force-retired and comes back because what makes you think James has the balls to fire him?
2. L blesses us by retiring like Richt did only for the cowardly AD to promote Caputo to HC

There's no point in even talking about underwhelming hires that have been brought up in this thread like Konkol or Huger, let alone a home run like Pitino. James is a COWARD and unqualified and he will make the easiest, safest, stupidest hire possible.
Very tough to read all of this because it's 100% true. I think Option #1 is much more likely than #2 as L has repeatedly said he has no intentions of retiring.

This was supposed to be the year we went back to the tourney. 5 of our top 13 all-time recruits were on this team. Fastfoward to March and 3 of those players are transferring out in Lykes, Cross and Timberlake.

If L is allowed to return that'll just set the program back another 5 years.

If the AD doesn't do the right thing here, maybe just maybe Coach L does the right thing and retires. One way or another, we need to find a new HC for this program. I certainly appreciate what Coach L has done for Miami basketball but it's time to move on. I don't know how Coach L has been able to do it, but 3 years of playing losing basketball, poor roster management, FBI investigation, etc. isn't something most college coaches would be able to survive but somehow Coach L has found a way to do so. Now with not 1 but both freshmen transferring out and the best player possibly doing the same, how can anyone justify Coach L coming back as the HC? We've had losing seasons in the past, but I don't think it's ever been this bad. Time for someone, anyone at UM (Board of Trustees, AD, Coach L, et al.) to do the right thing.

Advertisement
What type of information are you looking for now?
Something that makes some sense of the dumpster fire, especially regarding why (so many or) certain guys are leaving, thinking of leaving, not committing or transferring here, why we lose and lose and lose some more, etc...

For example, and I'm shooting from Far-fetched FakeGunslinger RumorCity: have they heard(been told) that the reins are being handed over to Caputo "soon", is there a color and chemistry thing the staff or HC or AD can't particularly comfortably handle, or just what the **** is going on that might satisfy as a credible explanation more so than heard in these threads.

Just wondering, is it really a rebuild if the next head coach and his staff is a great recruiters.
Given the amount of basketball talent in the State of Florida along with the State of Miami in the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycles, a rebuild could be very quick and easy.
A new coach would create enough interest in the program where fans would attend. Also, recruiting and having players from South Florida on the roster would draw fans.
Drawing fans means ticket sales.
Ticket sales create revenue.
Revenue means basketball is self sufficient and not spending any football money.
It is crazy to think Miami men's basketball and Miami baseball are not generating enough revenue to be self sufficient.

Advertisement
Something that makes some sense of the dumpster fire, especially regarding why (so many or) certain guys are leaving, thinking of leaving, not committing or transferring here, why we lose and lose and lose some more, etc...

For example, and I'm shooting from Far-fetched FakeGunslinger RumorCity: have they heard(been told) that the reins are being handed over to Caputo "soon", is there a color and chemistry thing the staff or HC or AD can't particularly comfortably handle, or just what the **** is going on that might satisfy as a credible explanation more so than heard in these threads.

As for the bold, IMO:

1. This is our third straight losing season. Perhaps some kids don't want to play for Coach L because we're no longer a relevant program in the ACC. Perhaps these kids, who either play here or were offered an opportunity to play here, would rather play somewhere else. Kids are kids, they do things for many reasons.

2. When it comes to transferring out, both voluntarily and involuntarily, we've had a bunch during his tenure. Coach L has been here for 10 seasons. During this time, we've lost ~1.2 scholarship/per year because a player is thrown out of school or transfers. Those players are: Gilmore, Palmer, Lecomte, Sherman, Daniels, Burnett, J. Kelly, Muhammad, Wilson, Mack, Cross and Timberlake. Keep in mind, this is as of right now. Perhaps Lykes is going to transfer too.

With that said, has there ever been a reason we were given as to why Matt Cross transferred?

3. As for why we lose; a lot of it is coaching. Coach L has committed to some loser assistants for a long time. Maybe you want to explain Caputo (see my post below). Also, maybe Coach L isn't as good as a coach as he once was. Maybe he lost his spark. He is north of 70.

4. Coach L has essentially stopped doing what worked for us during the first 5 years of his career here. His best teams were older players who were more mature.

In 2012-13: Kadji, Scott, Johnson, Gamble and TMJ were all seniors or RS seniors. With the exception of Larkin, that was your core team.

In 2015-16: Shelly Mac, Angel and Jekiri were all seniors. Davon Reed was a junior. K. Murphy was in his 4th season in the NCAA.

Caputo: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/its-time-to-start-the-rebuild.168544/#post-5165232

Just wondering, is it really a rebuild if the next head coach and his staff is a great recruiters.
Given the amount of basketball talent in the State of Florida along with the State of Miami in the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycles, a rebuild could be very quick and easy.
A new coach would create enough interest in the program where fans would attend. Also, recruiting and having players from South Florida on the roster would draw fans.
Drawing fans means ticket sales.
Ticket sales create revenue.
Revenue means basketball is self sufficient and not spending any football money.
It is crazy to think Miami men's basketball and Miami baseball are not generating enough revenue to be self sufficient.
Miami is definitely in rebuild mode. With Timberlake and Cross leaving that means 2 out of our last 4 recruiting cycles have no players to show for it. And with the current debacle of a season we just had, means finding replacements will be that much harder IF we keep the same staff in place. A new coaching staff will expedite matters but it's still going to take more than 1 recruiting cycle to turn this thing around. If we're going to make a move it needs to happen NOW! The 22 and 23 classes in Florida, particularly South Florida is loaded.

As far as recruiting locally, I've been saying it for years Coach L needs to have someone on the staff with connections to Florida, or at the very least someone who knows the lay of the land. Hard to recruit your state when you don't prioritize it and have coaches on staff who only know the northeast and dmv area. It's embarrassing to speak to HS and AAU coaches and hear their stories about UM basketball recruiting..

Advertisement
Miami is definitely in rebuild mode. With Timberlake and Cross leaving that means 2 out of our last 4 recruiting cycles have no players to show for it. And with the current debacle of a season we just had, means finding replacements will be that much harder IF we keep the same staff in place. A new coaching staff will expedite matters but it's still going to take more than 1 recruiting cycle to turn this thing around. If we're going to make a move it needs to happen NOW! The 22 and 23 classes in Florida, particularly South Florida is loaded.

As far as recruiting locally, I've been saying it for years Coach L needs to have someone on the staff with connections to Florida, or at the very least someone who knows the lay of the land. Hard to recruit your state when you don't prioritize it and have coaches on staff who only know the northeast and dmv area. It's embarrassing to speak to HS and AAU coaches and hear their stories about UM basketball recruiting..
quick way to start destroying a program, keep missing on recruits

You also have the local sports media do what they do. Barry Jackson tweeted about the bad injury luck this year instead of asking the question why we are on a self-induced scholarship limitation.
What is funny you can't blame the local media, **** half of these guys never even played the sports they are covering : so you get the usual can questions, and the coaches give the usual can answers. It's like you have reporters asked questions to politicians about the economy, and neither the politician or reporter know squat about running a business.

Advertisement
Back