Its time to start the rebuild...

Advertisement
He's not in trouble, that's why we haven't heard anything. Of course he should be, but I told you guys he would be the coach next year unless he stepped down. I'm not sure why anyone thought differently. This is Miami we're talking about.

He's not in trouble, that's why we haven't heard anything. Of course he should be, but I told you guys he would be the coach next year unless he stepped down. I'm not sure why anyone thought differently. This is Miami we're talking about.
Sadly you are right. This school loves to keep coaches around for too long and delay the inevitable, and we certainly prove time and time again that we especially don't care about basketball. I guess it is what it is.

A lot of people knew this was a throw away year. Gave ole Blake another year to ponder whatever it is he ponders.

Miami is a great job. Maybe won't pay the best but a small school surrounded by some talent and let's be honest...Expectations aren't a NC and final four every year. The job is in a great city.

The job is in a great city if you want to live in South Florida. It isn't for everyone and who knows if that limits your search.

When eventually they do look I just want a young guy that is hungry to build something and he can identify with recruits. I would even take a young ex-player with minimal experience but he has the knowledge upstairs. Maybe instead of letting them start out at a mid major and then price us out of it after they have success we give them their start. A lot of people will disagree but that works for me.

Advertisement
I disagree with the notion that this was a "throwaway year" because Coach L had 5 seniors and he keep saying two years ago how good this team would be.
It only became a "throwaway year" because of the injuries which he feels is "bad luck."
2021-22 will be a throwaway year if Coach L is allowed to coach, even if all of the seniors return, they might be 500 at best.
Plus, he is not going to recruit any of the in-state kids who could help Miami win and draw fans.
Again, let's stop acting like Coach L is Don Shula.

A lot of people knew this was a throw away year. Gave ole Blake another year to ponder whatever it is he ponders.

Miami is a great job. Maybe won't pay the best but a small school surrounded by some talent and let's be honest...Expectations aren't a NC and final four every year. The job is in a great city.

The job is in a great city if you want to live in South Florida. It isn't for everyone and who knows if that limits your search.

When eventually they do look I just want a young guy that is hungry to build something and he can identify with recruits. I would even take a young ex-player with minimal experience but he has the knowledge upstairs. Maybe instead of letting them start out at a mid major and then price us out of it after they have success we give them their start. A lot of people will disagree but that works for me.
The biggest shame in all of this is Miami was a 100% football town at the youth level until 2010. And then LeBron came. Since then, maybe basketball hasn't overtaken football, but there has been enough local high school talent on an annual basis to recruit locally and become a perennial tournament team. And the quality and quantity of these players is only increasing. And Larranaga and his cohorts absolutely squandered the opportunity to grow with that. It is probably the most frustrating part out of all of this. We could have really built some local inroads and infrastructure to take advantage of this shift and just ignored it.

And Blake James is going to have that same putzy smile on his face while waiting two years and creating every excuse known to man to not do the inevitable and obvious.

We literally will only have 4 non senior players on this team right now. Coach L turns 72 this year and we're definitely not winning anything next, no matter who the coach is. It's time to get a new HC and start the rebuilding process.
From your Mouth to God! We really need Coach L to retire. This program has been stuck in dire straits with him for the last 4 years. It is painful to hear the same explanation from him constantly. We never use all our scholarships, injuries, recruiting etc...blah blah blah.

The biggest shame in all of this is Miami was a 100% football town at the youth level until 2010. And then LeBron came. Since then, maybe basketball hasn't overtaken football, but there has been enough local high school talent on an annual basis to recruit locally and become a perennial tournament team. And the quality and quantity of these players is only increasing. And Larranaga and his cohorts absolutely squandered the opportunity to grow with that. It is probably the most frustrating part out of all of this. We could have really built some local inroads and infrastructure to take advantage of this shift and just ignored it.

And Blake James is going to have that same putzy smile on his face while waiting two years and creating every excuse known to man to not do the inevitable and obvious.

I completely agree.
No one is asking them to recruit "one and done" players every year.
I would be happy with those 5 guys I mention in post #158 in the 2022 recruiting thread.
All fans want is a consistent winner who competes yearly for the ACC championship and makes it to the NCAA tournament with atleast a Sweet 16 or more every other year.
I don't know why that is so hard for them to understand.

Advertisement
I completely agree.
No one is asking them to recruit "one and done" players every year.
I would be happy with those 5 guys I mention in post #158 in the 2022 recruiting thread.
All fans want is a consistent winner who competes yearly for the ACC championship and makes it to the NCAA tournament with atleast a Sweet 16 or more every other year.
I don't know why that is so hard for them to understand.
It's almost like we stopped our attempts at recruiting local players after we didn't land Vernon Carey and Scottie Barnes. At least that's what it feels like.

It's almost like we stopped our attempts at recruiting local players after we didn't land Vernon Carey and Scottie Barnes. At least that's what it feels like.
And apparently entirely bungled Barnes recruitment.

All of that aside, all we hear about is how the basketball program doesn't make money or have money or whatever. You know what saves a boatload of money? Recruiting locally. It is so unfathomably stupid the way we **** away money and then get cheap in the places where we should spend it. It is not to say don't target guys like Cross, Walker, Timberlake, etc. But instead of running up to Virginia for Rodney Miller, find local guys to be the foundation of the program and supplant those one and done types.

All of that aside, all we hear about is how the basketball program doesn't make money or have money or whatever. You know what saves a boatload of money? Recruiting locally. It is so unfathomably stupid the way we **** away money and then get cheap in the places where we should spend it. It is not to say don't target guys like Cross, Walker, Timberlake, etc. But instead of running up to Virginia for Rodney Miller, find local guys to be the foundation of the program and supplant those one and done types.

Exactly.
Local recruits save money and put people in the seats.
That is how you generate revenue.
Also, playing more in-state schools instead of "buy games".

I completely agree. Or travel to New Zealand to get a mediocre player in Sam while there are better bigs in our own state that we don't bother to recruit at all.

Can you explain what you mean by the bungling of Barnes' recruitment?

Advertisement
I completely agree. Or travel to New Zealand to get a mediocre player in Sam while there are better bigs in our own state that we don't bother to recruit at all.

Can you explain what you mean by the bungling of Barnes' recruitment?
I thought the big sticking point was how FSU was selling his position as point forward with the offense running through him, and we had him more of a traditional SF role. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

I thought the big sticking point was how FSU was selling his position as point forward with the offense running through him, and we had him more of a traditional SF role. If I am mistaken, I apologize.
That's quite possible. He is an assists machine at FSU. Very unselfish player.

We stopped prioritizing our local guys long before Carey and Barnes came along. Problem with this coaching staff is they only want locals who are 5-star prospects. All the while they go out of state and internationally to bring in 3-star recruits. Just doesn't make sense to me, why a 3 or 4 star kid from South Florida can't get the same opportunities kids from other parts get? :hammering-head:

Advertisement
We stopped prioritizing our local guys long before Carey and Barnes came along. Problem with this coaching staff is they only want locals who are 5-star prospects. All the while they go out of state and internationally to bring in 3-star recruits. Just doesn't make sense to me, why a 3 or 4 star kid from South Florida can't get the same opportunities kids from other parts get? :hammering-head:
That’s true. But even the Thompson twins are borderline 5 star recruits and we aren’t even throwing them a bone. It’s like we’ve completely given up on recruiting locally whereas a few years ago we at least tried once in a blue moon. Still wasn’t adequate but now it’s nothing.

All I know is Coach L is crying all over the Herald reminiscing about the good ole days and how every kid now thinks he has an NBA future. He needs to GTFO yesterday.

In the 22 seasons played this century, we've successfully recruited 20 young men who played their HS ball in Florida. Less than one a year on average.

Under Coach L (2012-21), the number is 11 recruits in 11 seasons:

Kenny Kadji, Amp Lawrence, Zach Johnson, Dewan Huell, Keith Stone, Harlond Beverly, Angel Rodriguez, Tonye Jekiri, DeAndre Burnett, Joe Thomas, and Shane Larkin.

Frank Haith (2004-11) brought in 6 local kids in 7 years:

Adrian Thomas, Dwayne Collins, Brian Asbury, Eddie Rios, Keaton Copeland, and Denis Clemente

Under Perry Clark (2000-03), the numbers are 3 kids in 4 years:

Ishmael N'diaye, Guillermo Diaz, and Marcus Barnes

When I get some time, I'll add Leonard Hamilton's record to this mix. Anyone expecting it to be much different?

Advertisement
Back