It's all about the X's & O's...

Advertisement
I’m sick of all this personality talk like South Florida is some unique place where only a guy like Shanny or Shanntard, who “know the area” can succeed.

JJ was a red neck hayseed from Arkansas. Pink was a guy who spent his whole life in the Pacific Northwest.

Just get a winner in here who plays a fun brand of football and South Florida will love him.

Saban is from West Virginia, dipped out on the Miami Dolphins and is hated by the fanbase, and coaches up in TusKKKaloosa. South Florida kids love him.

Dabo's some goofy hillbilly that played at Alabama and now coaches in bum **** South Carolina. South Florida kids love him.

Know what they have in common - they're the only coaches to win national titles in the last 5 years sans Urban. Don't care if the next coach is a Pacific Islander who has a mix of Norwegian and Mongolian heritage, so long as they win at Miami I couldn't care less.

People are too fixated on what made Miami great back in the day. They don't focus on the fact that we were innovators first and foremost and that's what had us winning.

To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

We bette never go to an air raid system. That 💩 does not win championships & makes your defense *** consistently.

No one disagrees with that, but that's a recruiting discussion.

And I think it's safe to say we're significantly more talented than CENTRAL MICHIGAN, at least talented enough to score more than 17 points.

El, I'm going to lose my **** when people keep mentioning (like Big O who use to be on WQAM) that we have a talent problem and that Manny needs time to bring in his guys (which the defensive players are his). Expecting us to beat Ohio State, Clemson, Bama, UGA is one thing, which I don't think is realistic right now. But putting up more than 17 points against CMU is not asking much. At all.

I’m sick of all this personality talk like South Florida is some unique place where only a guy like Shanny or Shanntard, who “know the area” can succeed.

JJ was a red neck hayseed from Arkansas. Pink was a guy who spent his whole life in the Pacific Northwest.

Just get a winner in here who plays a fun brand of football and South Florida will love him.

Like fa real..good ole boy red necks made this place what it was.

& all these flake *** south Florida parents, kids and coaches LOVE themselves some red neck coaches. They relate to them better then anyone ever.

Advertisement
I'm not gonna have that conversation. Ur version of winning and mine are clearly very different. Anyone who defends blake james has an agenda far as I'm concerned but ok.

I dont know if they necessarily have an agenda...moreso alot of ppl, myself included, lack the proper perspective. We have no ****** clue whats goin on behind the closed doors. From here it looks like a ****show to me tho. And you are pretty much confirming it.

One of the most concerning things was CM was able to get constant pressure and 4 sacks while only bringing their 4 down lineman. It makes it a lot harder to create space when you have 7 guys in coverage (to varying degrees). When you add that Jarren isn't taking/hitting enough deep balls to keep the defense honest, there isnt much room to operate. So, as usual, the problem begins and ends with the OL.

That said, I would like to see less bunch formations (or at least not as much bunching inside the hashes), and wider OL splits, as I mentioned in another thread. Both have elements of a spread and can be helpful when considering the current makeup and limitations of the OL. Lining the WRs up outside the hashes stretches out the defense and makes them cover more ground. Will this create any running lanes? Who knows, but something has to change and its worth a try.

As to the OL splits, it'd theoretically give us an extra 1/2 second because the DE would have more ground to cover to get to the QB. Maybe it creates other issues, like the opportunity to blitz up the middle against a bad interior OL, but it'll at least (hopefully) stop Jarren from getting decapitated by the DE while Zion is still in his stance.

I don't think we need to go full air raid, and anyone calling for that without a coaching change is being unrealistic. That isn't what Enos knows how to run, and you don't install a brand new offense over the bye-week. But I do agree with OP that the slow developing routes and play action (esp when averaging 1.5ypc against 8 in the box) are causing problems. Something needs to give.

A problem with going away from 12 formation is it takes 2 of our best players off the field, in Brevin and Mallory. Some will say to just split them out wide and treat them as WRs, but that takes away so much of the schematic advantage of having them lined up on the interior. We are using them as interior blockers (to what degree of success is a different conversation), and opposing DCs are forced to account for that. That is where we get our mismatches with these 2 guys. The play on the first drive that Roman highlighted where Jarren hit Mallory for a big gain was beautiful offense.

Sorry for the long post. I could've summed it up by just saying our OL sucks.

Bunch formations or reduced splits actually help the run game when you're running wide zone and power plays outside the guards. Wide zone is the Rams' bread and butter and they always run with reduced WR splits. You bring more blockers into play and potentially have more gaps but without the downside of facing stacked fronts like you get when you run 13 personnel. Theoretically the DBs that are covering the receivers still have to align with depth outside and respect the pass so they don't factor into the run game. Defenses have adjusted with essentially a 6-man line like the Pats ran in the Super Bowl but we won't see that in college.

Wider splits can be an advantage if you want to run a lot of inside zone with RPO bubble like Richt did. I'd argue those plays are pretty easy to defend and our OL doesn't execute them well. The other problem with wide split WRs is it reduces or outright eliminates the effectiveness of in-breaking/crossing routes. Enos likes RPOs and play action passes into the void behind the LBs when they get sucked into run action. Those plays are common and effective at all levels of football and we really suffered under Richt because he didn't incorporate them.

Wider splits for the OL is nice in theory but those Air Raid teams are only able to employ that scheme by recruiting mammoth OL who can vertical set straight back and take up space. Like you said we'd get killed by stunts and blitzes running that. The easier solution is to just teach Zion how to pass protect, for real. The technique he's using is so bad that even small improvements would make a huge difference.

Very much agree with the bolded. The issue I have with the underlined portion is Enos is failing to adjust his inherent scheme and philosophy to account for the poor OL play. You allude to that, but I think you understate how much needs to be done to cover up their weaknesses.

It isn't execution, per se, when Zion doesn't get out of his stance twice in a row as the DE is already swiping at Jarren's arm. That is a lack of talent, and that lack of talent should force you to abandon your natural scheme and adjust it to fit your players. Again, we saw Kaaya have success after Richt dropped 4 straight, then decided to let him rip it from the shotgun, and we looked like a new offense. Enos is proving to be just as stubborn as Richt to me.

The schemes that aren't working are bad regardless of who's starting at LT. Slow-developing PA is not a good idea when you haven't established a run threat or the defense is run blitzing. When those plays lack a natural checkdown progression it's even worse. When those plays also require young OL to set like it's a run play and still block their man, or have a pull-reach block combo, then the margin for error is even smaller. It's not that hard to adjust protection schemes for a weak link. You slide protection to their side and the rest of the guys have to step up and win their matchups. I haven't charted or studied the recent games but watching it live it seemed like Zion was being left on an island. The staff should have been preparing to support Zion since the spring. It definitely seems like we have a staff of scheme guys and not teachers/developers. That doesn't work in college football.

This is so far opposite of what u just said though bruh. Is it demanding excellence or is it the sign of a good coach to surround yourself with a bunch of ****tards who get ran off from every lil school they've been allowed to coach at? Is it a winning culture to have kids being coached up by air force left overs? How bout a year with the ****** argonauts to demand that excellence. We have a staff full of ****boys who wouldnt be allowed to coach at the west let alone the university of Miami if we didnt feel the need to say please mayor diaz spare our ******** from the chafing and bring home your car salesman son to assrape us into oblivion! How can you fix anything when no one here accepts the problem. Were in a bad spot & this savage yall think we have is nothing but the hashtag kind. Fvck him and his whole bytch *** family. That's how I feel. After tomorrow yall ain't gonna like me no more either.

What I’m seeing reading this last line is what we are seeing at other programs in terms of turmoil is about to make a stop in the Gables...check them game counts.

Advertisement
We got away from throwing to the TEs as each game has progressed. Seems like the opening drive or two We scheme up some nice TE catches and they always get highlighted.

Then fade off. Would love to see some consistency there.

30-35 passes. With 10 Targets to TEs wouldn’t be bad

Bunch formations or reduced splits actually help the run game when you're running wide zone and power plays outside the guards. Wide zone is the Rams' bread and butter and they always run with reduced WR splits. You bring more blockers into play and potentially have more gaps but without the downside of facing stacked fronts like you get when you run 13 personnel. Theoretically the DBs that are covering the receivers still have to align with depth outside and respect the pass so they don't factor into the run game. Defenses have adjusted with essentially a 6-man line like the Pats ran in the Super Bowl but we won't see that in college.

Wider splits can be an advantage if you want to run a lot of inside zone with RPO bubble like Richt did. I'd argue those plays are pretty easy to defend and our OL doesn't execute them well. The other problem with wide split WRs is it reduces or outright eliminates the effectiveness of in-breaking/crossing routes. Enos likes RPOs and play action passes into the void behind the LBs when they get sucked into run action. Those plays are common and effective at all levels of football and we really suffered under Richt because he didn't incorporate them.

Wider splits for the OL is nice in theory but those Air Raid teams are only able to employ that scheme by recruiting mammoth OL who can vertical set straight back and take up space. Like you said we'd get killed by stunts and blitzes running that. The easier solution is to just teach Zion how to pass protect, for real. The technique he's using is so bad that even small improvements would make a huge difference.

The schemes that aren't working are bad regardless of who's starting at LT. Slow-developing PA is not a good idea when you haven't established a run threat or the defense is run blitzing. When those plays lack a natural checkdown progression it's even worse. When those plays also require young OL to set like it's a run play and still block their man, or have a pull-reach block combo, then the margin for error is even smaller. It's not that hard to adjust protection schemes for a weak link. You slide protection to their side and the rest of the guys have to step up and win their matchups. I haven't charted or studied the recent games but watching it live it seemed like Zion was being left on an island. The staff should have been preparing to support Zion since the spring. It definitely seems like we have a staff of scheme guys and not teachers/developers. That doesn't work in college football.
it's not being said but it really doesn't help the OL if Jarren holds on to the ball.

it's not being said but it really doesn't help the OL if Jarren holds on to the ball.

No but I view that as a symptom of scheme. When your scheme doesn't define throws quickly and easily for the QB he's going to get paralyzed in the pocket. Recall Jarren wasn't holding onto the ball too long on the 1st drive against UF where Enos designed several QB-friendly quick throws.

Russell Wilson is arguably the best thrower in football but he often holds onto the ball because they run an archaic scheme and he doesn't see the field well with his height. It would happen to any QB under these circumstances, though I agree Jarren can be especially slow to process and deliver.

Advertisement
What I’m seeing reading this last line is what we are seeing at other programs in terms of turmoil is about to make a stop in the Gables...check them game counts.

Oh no... Hightower already checking out like half the players in practice today?!? Say it ain’t so dsddcane!

When we get a coach who knows his strengths and surrounds himself by like minded people in their own fields well be fine. Till then atleast u know we got a mean social media game & we can crash peoples parties with the best of them.

Why the sudden turnaround in the staff?

Back in March/April you felt the staff was fine and was built for us to win consistently,

Why the sudden turnaround in the staff?

Back in March/April you felt the staff was fine and was built for us to win consistently,
I thought enos (who I do believe in himself)is more iron fist with his staff. Hes not & it's a problem. None of them except fields could be here on their own. Far as the defense goes I've said what I've said all along. Bartender has far too much responsibility same for patke who atleast knows what hes talking about but is clueless for how to coach it(same as stubblefield on offense) stroud the kids love. I like him as a man but hes responsible for production at the end of the day & his unit is regressing horribly(which I also said would happen with the tackle play we have which also kills the secondary because QBs can just sit around). Far as baker goes I've said all along we'd have to see if that's a title being gave out & manny still calls the unit or if its baker. Well its Baker & somehow he has different principles for his calls(which manny still cosigns) so the pieces I've felt were built for strength need to step up and be the leaders they pretend to be. Until that happens & the line tightens up on both sides of the ball this is gonna be ugly.

Advertisement
I thought enos (who I do believe in himself)is more iron fist with his staff. Hes not & it's a problem. None of them except fields could be here on their own. Far as the defense goes I've said what I've said all along. Bartender has far too much responsibility same for patke who atleast knows what hes talking about but is clueless for how to coach it(same as stubblefield on offense) stroud the kids love. I like him as a man but hes responsible for production at the end of the day & his unit is regressing horribly(which I also said would happen with the tackle play we have which also kills the secondary because QBs can just sit around). Far as baker goes I've said all along we'd have to see if that's a title being gave out & manny still calls the unit or if its baker. Well its Baker & somehow he has different principles for his calls(which manny still cosigns) so the pieces I've felt were built for strength need to step up and be the leaders they pretend to be. Until that happens & the line tightens up on both sides of the ball this is gonna be ugly.

Hopefully Manny isn't stubborn like all his previous colleagues and changes something

Advertisement
Back