It's all about the X's & O's...

There's a shotgun/RPO section of the playbook that needs to be more heavily utilized. We consistently move the ball from spread sets while being inconsistent/bad from traditional/under center formations. Using our tightends in line works in theory but Brevin is a poor blocker and Mallory is worse. Harley is a better blocker than him. Maybe we need to treat Mallory more like what he actually is, a big wide receiver. You can bring in Hodges or Irvin to block but neither is much of a receiver so it's pointless. CMU played with an extra man in the box a majority of the game. At least stretching them out horizontally would limit the effect of the extra player in the box. It would force them to play a lot more man to man in space or drop the extra safety back into coverage.

Advertisement
Ibh, and we’re not talking about this enough; we’re up 5, with the ball. At this point, we’re only avg I believe like 1.8ypc. Yet; our OC decided to run it 3x, str8, with no success. He literally gave CMU a chance to win that game by his play calling in a extremely critical moment. That beyond ****ed me off and caused me to lose all faith in his abilities

Good thing we got a do over on the missed FG or they very well might have won.

I’m sick of all this personality talk like South Florida is some unique place where only a guy like Shanny or Shanntard, who “know the area” can succeed.

JJ was a red neck hayseed from Arkansas. Pink was a guy who spent his whole life in the Pacific Northwest.

Just get a winner in here who plays a fun brand of football and South Florida will love him.
[/QUOTE
BOT was prepared to buy out that contract.
yes they were. Money had been set side for the buyout and Blake ****ed him. Mario is better off at Oregon,.

A big name, splash hire at head coach isn't the solution. Competent assistants have more to do with the on field product anyway. Look at LSU. They had Ed Orgeron as a temp but decided to keep him on as a head coach. A lot of people laughed or scratched their heads. He had a top notch defense and DC but his offense was still struggling. He went out and hired a low level passing game coach to bring his offense into this decade and they're killing it. Amazing how good a head coach, who was horrible in his last head coaching gig, can look when he hires the right assistants.

I wouldn't have thought I'd compare Ed Orgeron to Mark Richt, but essentially, they're very comparable.
They both took over high-level programs who were living in the rearview mirror, but either their guy, or their AD, recognized the deficiencies and addressed them before they became an insurmountable problem. Orgeron has a Power 5 staff, one that has them ahead of the game again.

We saw the name Mark Richt, and let him do whatever he wanted, no vetting, no tough questions, none of our terms. Well, it turned out that who coaches QBs matters, and, that head coach and OC are different jobs most places for a reason. The result? He burned himself out and setback our program to where it was before he joined, save for an indoor facility. Mark Richt, the CEO, representing the program to recruiting and donor efforts, setting the directives of a Power 5 staff and making the big calls would have us in a truly different level, IMO.

Choices.

Advertisement
Id say about 5 years. Reality is everyone was sp hard up on getting rid of richt and running him off. Careful what you wish for. With cmr we had respect we had a need for a qb coach & oc. Enos by himself with the past staff I wouldve loved to see. But oh well. I was tired of cmr headaches too. But atleast we knew the root of our problems before. Now we have a whole new set of unexplored issues. Whoever sees this as progress probably was upset we missed out on ****kowski as well
Rickety is the same demented guy who named the bartender and his barback as permanent co-DCs after Shanny left for Temple. Rickety was absolutely without question finished.

There were great options aside from a completely washed Rickety and Shanny Diaz. Running Rickety off was the right choice. This feeble replacement staff isn’t looking like a good choice.

There's a shotgun/RPO section of the playbook that needs to be more heavily utilized. We consistently move the ball from spread sets while being inconsistent/bad from traditional/under center formations. Using our tightends in line works in theory but Brevin is a poor blocker and Mallory is worse. Harley is a better blocker than him. Maybe we need to treat Mallory more like what he actually is, a big wide receiver. You can bring in Hodges or Irvin to block but neither is much of a receiver so it's pointless. CMU played with an extra man in the box a majority of the game. At least stretching them out horizontally would limit the effect of the extra player in the box. It would force them to play a lot more man to man in space or drop the extra safety back into coverage.

Exactly. It's not as if Enos doesn't have more of the plays we are looking for in his ****nal. He does. We've seen them. People get crucified on this board as sunshine pumpers for saying so, but I believe that this part of the team is a relatively simple fix. Run the offense out of that and scrap the throwbacks to the Coker T. Every one of them, even in short yardage....we aren't even successful getting 1-2 yards out of the bunched up I formation.

It's a relatively simple fix, but it's in a significant enough area that if Enos can just not be a stubborn ***, we can be competitive in the ACC, and still salvage the season. I'm not talking about beating Clemson and making the playoff. Not talking about fixing the offensive line, either, because that's clearly not going to be fixed this season. Even if we go more shotgun/RPO, there will still be failures on the O-line. However, shotgun will, at the very least, give JW 3 seconds to get rid of the ball and make a play, or maybe even step up and make a play with his feet.

I strongly disagree. Air raid offenses lead to tired out and gassed defenses. I think you need to find a balance. I like what we are trying to do we just dont have the line for it rn.

So if you don't have the OL to run your offense, why are you running that offense? Put a system in place that focuses on your strength. If you don't have an OL that can protect to the point your QB can take 5-to-7 drop steps, why not going for a spread that allows the ball to get out quicker?

Advertisement
@Dwinstitles I was on the phone last night with 2 Former UM players (who'll remain nameless)...(and not @dsddcane ) who told me UM has 4 assistant coaches who have Absolutely No business coaching at UM....
I'll take their word over anybody on this site..(excluding @dsddcane) take it for what its worth.

I already know Banda and our DL coach are on that list. Sure Barry is as well.

Advertisement
To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

Can't disagree with a word you said. Realize the coaching situation is what it is, so no need suggesting the hammer drop or speculating on who might have been a better hire.

What drives me crazy are two things - scheme and pace of offensive play. We clearly don't have the personnel to be a power run/under center-type offense. We're not Alabama or Georgia. We can aspire to be that, but we're 2-3 years from developing those type offensive linemen.

Just really hope Manny & Enos have a come to Jesus meeting this week on the offense. Put the QB in the shot gun, so he has a tick or two more before he's under pressure and pick up the **** pace. The pace we play at is pedestrian. It's hotter than **** down here between the heat, humidity and sun. Why wouldn't you use that to your advantage & wear teams down?

Exactly. It's not as if Enos doesn't have more of the plays we are looking for in his ****nal. He does. We've seen them. People get crucified on this board as sunshine pumpers for saying so, but I believe that this part of the team is a relatively simple fix. Run the offense out of that and scrap the throwbacks to the Coker T. Every one of them, even in short yardage....we aren't even successful getting 1-2 yards out of the bunched up I formation.

It's a relatively simple fix, but it's in a significant enough area that if Enos can just not be a stubborn ***, we can be competitive in the ACC, and still salvage the season. I'm not talking about beating Clemson and making the playoff. Not talking about fixing the offensive line, either, because that's clearly not going to be fixed this season. Even if we go more shotgun/RPO, there will still be failures on the O-line. However, shotgun will, at the very least, give JW 3 seconds to get rid of the ball and make a play, or maybe even step up and make a play with his feet.
Exactly. I'm not asking them to totally scrap the entire offense and run something totally different than anything we've seen so far. We've already seen them use the formations and plays. We saw a 3X1 set vs CMU where Miami had the numbers mismatch on the strong side of the formation. Simple wide receiver screen to Thomas with Hightower and (maybe Harley? I don't remember) each blocking their man and it's an easy 15 yard gain with not an ounce of pressure on Jarren. The stuff is in the playbook. Enos just has to utilize it. I actually believe Enos is a smart dude and he knows offense. At least he knows a lot more than anybody on the previous staff. The key will be if he's too stubborn to run what works even if it's not exactly what he wants to do.

Therein lies the problem to me...

It's beyond obvious to anyone with eyes this Offense operates best out of Shotgun with the RPO/Spread formations, but for whatever reason Enos refuses to run it more frequently.

We should've immediately transitioned into the more Spread side of Spread-Coast after we gave up 10 **** sacks to UF in week 0. Miami is 129th in sacks allowed & 126th in TFL's, all primarily because we play the majority of our snaps from under center.

This is an alarming red flag, if you're an OC & you consistently see your tackles missing assignments, getting repeatedly beat to death off the snap & racking several procedural penalties every game why wouldn't you do something to put a stop to it, instead of doing the exact same thing over & over again that clearly isn't working???

That's what people are missing in my criticism, it's not that Enos's offense is incapable of working, as I said in the OP of this thread we don't have the OL to execute it properly, our Tackles can't sustain blocks long enough to protect a slow developing 7 step drop from under center & our interior lineman can't hold up to create the run lanes needed in this system in order to have an effective run game.

Central Michigan completely shut down our run game holding us to only 51yds & sacked the QB 4 times including a Safety, they literally put points on the board with their pass rush vs our OL (Lol!). CMU doesn't have a single NFL caliber player on that DLine that would even sniff a Practice Squad & they were disruptive in our backfield all game long.

If CMU did that to our Offense what do people think is gonna happen vs UVA? Put UCF or Memphis's offense up against CMU & watch how fast they woulda torched that weak Defense & I guarantee you they wouldn't have taken a single snap from under center in order to do it.

That's the issue. It would be one thing if we played like that vs a Coastal rival, but vs CMU, there's literally no excuse why we didn't blow that team out, they were fckin 1-11 last year... 1-11.

Just wait till we play UVA, Louisville, or when we go back on the road @ Doak & @ Pitt, I bet money we'll still be having discussion about why we were lined up under center on 3rd long & giving up multiple sacks in games.

We need to go Spread or Air Raid, either or, but this Offense doesn't fit & it's not going to suddenly start working as the competition increases throughout the season.

Advertisement

It's beyond obvious to anyone with eyes this Offense operates best out of Shotgun with the RPO/Spread formations, but for whatever reason Enos refuses to run it more frequently.

We should've immediately transitioned into the more Spread side of Spread-Coast after we gave up 10 **** sacks to UF in week 0. Miami is 129th in sacks allowed & 126th in TFL's, all primarily because we play the majority of our snaps from under center.

This is an alarming red flag, if you're an OC & you consistently see your tackles missing assignments, getting repeatedly beat to death off the snap & racking several procedural penalties every game why wouldn't you do something to put a stop to it, instead of doing the exact same thing over & over again that clearly isn't working???

That's what people are missing in my criticism, it's not that Enos's offense is incapable of working, as I said in the OP of this thread we don't have the OL to execute it properly, our Tackles can't sustain blocks long enough to protect a slow developing 7 step drop from under center & our interior lineman can't hold up to create the run lanes needed in this system in order to have an effective run game.

Central Michigan completely shut down our run game holding us to only 51yds & sacked the QB 4 times including a Safety, they literally put points on the board with their pass rush vs our OL (Lol!). CMU doesn't have a single NFL caliber player on that DLine that would even sniff a Practice Squad & they were disruptive in our backfield all game long.

If CMU did that to our Offense what do people think is gonna happen vs UVA? Put UCF or Memphis's offense up against CMU & watch how fast they woulda torched that weak Defense & I guarantee you they wouldn't have taken a single snap from under center in order to do it.

That's the issue. It would be one thing if we played like that vs a Coastal rival, but vs CMU, there's literally no excuse why we didn't blow that team out, they were fckin 1-11 last year... 1-11.

Just wait till we play UVA, Louisville, or when we go back on the road @ Doak & @ Pitt, I bet money we'll still be having discussion about why we were lined up under center on 3rd long & giving up multiple sacks in games.

We need to go Spread or Air Raid, either or, but this Offense doesn't fit & it's not going to suddenly start working as the competition increases throughout the season.

Truth serum.

Some coaches just overthink.

Advertisement
Back