It's all about the X's & O's...

Advertisement
He wouldnt have been able to bring in his staff is what hes doing. A scheme when its surrounded by coaches and kids who DEMAND excellence is alot more successful than one ran by knuckin futs. Hes brought in all his butt buddies is the difference and they are exactly what dennis green knew they are.

DAMAND excellence is the key. In fact, Saban allows nothing else but excellence.

DAMAND excellence is the key. In fact, Saban allows nothing else but excellence.
This is so far opposite of what u just said though bruh. Is it demanding excellence or is it the sign of a good coach to surround yourself with a bunch of ****tards who get ran off from every lil school they've been allowed to coach at? Is it a winning culture to have kids being coached up by air force left overs? How bout a year with the ****** argonauts to demand that excellence. We have a staff full of ****boys who wouldnt be allowed to coach at the west let alone the university of Miami if we didnt feel the need to say please mayor diaz spare our ******** from the chafing and bring home your car salesman son to assrape us into oblivion! How can you fix anything when no one here accepts the problem. Were in a bad spot & this savage yall think we have is nothing but the hashtag kind. Fvck him and his whole bytch *** family. That's how I feel. After tomorrow yall ain't gonna like me no more either.

Your posts always terrify me dsd. Are we really in for 2-3 more years of the same crap with Manny? Will we ever get out of this never ending cycle of mediocrity? Manny talks such a great game that I desperately want him to succeed but early signs aren’t great.
When we get a coach who knows his strengths and surrounds himself by like minded people in their own fields well be fine. Till then atleast u know we got a mean social media game & we can crash peoples parties with the best of them.

Advertisement
The idea that the AD is not committed to winning is crazy. Blake James told Richt he hired to hire an OC and that forced Richt to resign. I am sure Blake James would love for Miami doners to call him tomorrow and offer up $7M a year for a coach, but that isn't happening. We spend what our boosters are willing to pay.

I don't know how you define good coaches, but all of our HC were actually proven, coaches. They all made players better as either coordinators or head coaches. The idea that Blake James hasn't studied other hires is just plain dumb. No one forced James to be our AD and just like other AD's James is trying to do the best with the resources he has.
I'm not gonna have that conversation. Ur version of winning and mine are clearly very different. Anyone who defends blake james has an agenda far as I'm concerned but ok.

A big name, splash hire at head coach isn't the solution. Competent assistants have more to do with the on field product anyway. Look at LSU. They had Ed Orgeron as a temp but decided to keep him on as a head coach. A lot of people laughed or scratched their heads. He had a top notch defense and DC but his offense was still struggling. He went out and hired a low level passing game coach to bring his offense into this decade and they're killing it. Amazing how good a head coach, who was horrible in his last head coaching gig, can look when he hires the right assistants.

Advertisement
Bro he was going to bama... Sure he had the heart strings pulling for the home team and Ridley told him to do what is best for him, but he was Bama bound. Case in point... The summer between his fresh and soph year....I took some kids to the Saban camp, the same time the South Florida recruits were making their "tour." They had him practicing with junior and seniors and showing him "mad luv" (this is when Kiff was there). Jeudy is a good kid but he made a business decision and no amount of hometown luv and winning was going to make up for that.

No doubt, but that’s my point. A business decision. We won’t be getting business decisions when we are barely beating Mac schools. We purposefully schedule these schools for easy Dubs and confidence building and we aren’t doing it right lol.

Nothing. He’s running the same offense he would have ran at Bama. Unfortunately that O isn’t going to work with what the U is trotting out there on the O line. UM does not have the personnel to run what he would have the luxury of running at Bama. Square peg/round hole situation.
Exactly. He needs an elite OL for his offense to work, and may have had that at Bama. We have not had an elite OL since the Bush Administration. Manny should have recognized this and hired someone more proficient in spread and modern offenses. That is how you scheme around a weakness. Applewhite would have been a better fit than Enos in that regard.

After three years, well hire Mario and become a 9-10 win team for 3-5 years before people realize the guy us as mediocre as every other coach we've hired.

Advertisement
I didn't say that Wash St & Texas have a similar concepts, I said a majority of the top 30 teams in offense take the same approach to offense which is attacking Defenses weaknesses by playing to their strengths, while we do the exact opposite.

The current offense we have was essentially solved by a far interior Central Michigan team, we only produced 17 points & was 1/10 on 3rd down despite being astronomically better than CMU at every single position on the field.

Our OL was getting beat by MAC players who wouldn't even make it on a NFL practice squad, but Enos's ELITE super complex 12, 21 & 22 personnel is perfect right...

You said:

"Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same"

I'd say there are much starker differences between WSU and Texas than verbiage and play calling. WSU is a traditional Air Raid with wide splits, vertical setting OL and a small list of core pass concepts that are practiced to death and executed at a high level. Texas is a power spread offense with gap-power NFL run schemes, spread option plays and simplified pass concepts taken from Air Raid principles (the only similarity). WSU is as similar to Texas as Miami is because we run a lot of the same run concepts that they do, whereas WSU doesn't.

I don't think there's an inherent problem with Enos' scheme and philosophy. The problems stem from the details like protection schemes, pace, playcalling (spamming PA passes, for example) and such. The foundation of formation diversity, power run game, PA vertical pass game is sound in theory. We just need to get better execution from the coaching staff and players to master this scheme. We will see whether Enos makes adjustments the rest of the season and that will determine his fate.

If we can't run the ball with 12 personnel and a gap-power scheme what makes you think we will run the ball well with a 10 personnel spread running inside zone and duo? Richt tried to run that stuff with and without tempo and we were horrible at it.

I see a long post with very little substance to the recommendations besides "RUN THE SPREAD DAMMIT, PACE & SPACE!" How is this a panacea that's going to solve our problems?

If you think Washington State and Texas have similar concepts and philosophy....well, I don't know what to tell you. 🤷‍♂️
One of the most concerning things was CM was able to get constant pressure and 4 sacks while only bringing their 4 down lineman. It makes it a lot harder to create space when you have 7 guys in coverage (to varying degrees). When you add that Jarren isn't taking/hitting enough deep balls to keep the defense honest, there isnt much room to operate. So, as usual, the problem begins and ends with the OL.

That said, I would like to see less bunch formations (or at least not as much bunching inside the hashes), and wider OL splits, as I mentioned in another thread. Both have elements of a spread and can be helpful when considering the current makeup and limitations of the OL. Lining the WRs up outside the hashes stretches out the defense and makes them cover more ground. Will this create any running lanes? Who knows, but something has to change and its worth a try.

As to the OL splits, it'd theoretically give us an extra 1/2 second because the DE would have more ground to cover to get to the QB. Maybe it creates other issues, like the opportunity to blitz up the middle against a bad interior OL, but it'll at least (hopefully) stop Jarren from getting decapitated by the DE while Zion is still in his stance.

I don't think we need to go full air raid, and anyone calling for that without a coaching change is being unrealistic. That isn't what Enos knows how to run, and you don't install a brand new offense over the bye-week. But I do agree with OP that the slow developing routes and play action (esp when averaging 1.5ypc against 8 in the box) are causing problems. Something needs to give.

A problem with going away from 12 formation is it takes 2 of our best players off the field, in Brevin and Mallory. Some will say to just split them out wide and treat them as WRs, but that takes away so much of the schematic advantage of having them lined up on the interior. We are using them as interior blockers (to what degree of success is a different conversation), and opposing DCs are forced to account for that. That is where we get our mismatches with these 2 guys. The play on the first drive that Roman highlighted where Jarren hit Mallory for a big gain was beautiful offense.

Sorry for the long post. I could've summed it up by just saying our OL sucks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need to utilize whatever scheme that requires our O line to do nothing more than be obstacles to run around. That seems to be where they really excel.

I don't think there's an inherent problem with Enos' scheme and philosophy. The problems stem from the details like protection schemes, pace, playcalling (spamming PA passes, for example) and such. The foundation of formation diversity, power run game, PA vertical pass game is sound in theory. We just need to get better execution from the coaching staff and players to master this scheme. We will see whether Enos makes adjustments the rest of the season and that will determine his fate.
Very much agree with the bolded. The issue I have with the underlined portion is Enos is failing to adjust his inherent scheme and philosophy to account for the poor OL play. You allude to that, but I think you understate how much needs to be done to cover up their weaknesses.

It isn't execution, per se, when Zion doesn't get out of his stance twice in a row as the DE is already swiping at Jarren's arm. That is a lack of talent, and that lack of talent should force you to abandon your natural scheme and adjust it to fit your players. Again, we saw Kaaya have success after Richt dropped 4 straight, then decided to let him rip it from the shotgun, and we looked like a new offense. Enos is proving to be just as stubborn as Richt to me.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that to a certain extent Enos expected to walk right over CMU and "out-execute" them Richt style. It's the only explanation considering what we saw with the play calling against UNC and Bethune. We saw much more creative and expansive play calling against Bethune and against UNC we barely saw the PA bootleg and other things that didn't work against UF. On Saturday not only did it appear that we ran a very limited and simple scheme, but we also fell back on the tendencies from the UF game that never worked and Enos quickly moved away from.

It's obviously wishful thinking and the reality could be that CMU is by far and away the second best defense we've faced all season, but I'd like to imagine the taking for granted aspect as the reason for the giant step back. Though even with the wishful thinking Enos remains hugely ignorant to the fact that our OL needs help. Another game of not scheming around it and he's a ******* corch.

I strongly disagree. Air raid offenses lead to tired out and gassed defenses. I think you need to find a balance. I like what we are trying to do we just dont have the line for it rn.

You know what else lead to tired out and gassed defenses 3 and outs and 0 points/ playing under pressure all game every game lead to unmotivated
Fu ck all that score some points and the defense will always be energized and motivated

Advertisement
Back