It all comes down to money and courage

Advertisement
Simple. Other BOT members backed it.

Manny's dad has some friends on the BOT and they pushed for the hire as well. Richt should sue Blake and UM for doing them such a big favor and them completely ****ing it away

Lane Kiffin would be a better hire than Cristobal. I know this will be an unpopular opinion because of the infatuation some have with Cristobal, but yeah I said it!!! Give Kiffin Jake Garcia and watch us light up the ACC.

Advertisement
Lane Kiffin would be a better hire than Cristobal. I know this will be an unpopular opinion because of the infatuation some have with Cristobal, but yeah I said it!!! Give Kiffin Jake Garcia and watch us light up the ACC.

Has nothing to do with an infatuation with Cristobal. Has everything to do with the fact that Kiffin has been a disaster everywhere. Oh, except FAU.

And people like to rip on Butch for coaching FIU.

Can you provide reasons you feel Kiffin would be better?

Kiffin had always come off like a spoiled brat to me. You can see daddy got him in a few doors by the way he conducts himself. An as OC? Absolutely! As a HC???? I dont see the appeal..

He gets into enough trouble in college towns.. not sure if Miami is a place for a big kid like Lane.

Has nothing to do with an infatuation with Cristobal. Has everything to do with the fact that Kiffin has been a disaster everywhere. Oh, except FAU.

And people like to rip on Butch for coaching FIU.
Can't you see the progression of Kiffin? The guy admitted he was young and did some things wrong. He learned from his mistakes, and won at FAU. Moved on to Ole Miss and has had one of the top offenses in the country since he's been there. The guy can coach. Lets stop worrying about hiring good PR guys and hire good coaches.

Advertisement
Then you should’ve kept it to yourself. If Kiffin couldn’t win with the west coast version of us in USC then what in gods name makes you think he could win here?? Seriously…

Then you should’ve kept it to yourself. If Kiffin couldn’t win with the west coast version of us in USC then what in gods name makes you think he could win here?? Seriously…
People change. He is one of the best up and coming coaches around. Seriously....

Manny's dad has some friends on the BOT and they pushed for the hire as well. Richt should sue Blake and UM for doing them such a big favor and them completely ****ing it away

This is something that actually has me pretty concerned. If things go bad, will daddy pull strings with the right people to keep Manny employed? or are there enough other powerful money people that it won't matter?

Perhaps he's learned and grown since his time at USC. I'd imagine working under saban would help him develop

Advertisement
Two of his FIU assistants back then are now current P5 head coaches. Satterfield and Collins. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

That's actually impressive. His OC from those days was App St's OC (Ponce). Now, let compare this to what Golden Boys are up to these days or if Banda and company have returned to real world jobs.

Mario is everything the last couple hires professed to be. He worked under the best, and has proven results from another program. Plus, hes MIAMI! He's not trying to understand Miami, or thinking because he watched a 30 for 30, he can just replicate what been done here. He WAS apart of that process!

Mario, with a bag behind him to hire legit P5 assts, would be a PROBLEM!

People change. He is one of the best up and coming coaches around. Seriously…
What do you mean up and coming? He coached the Raiders. He coached the Trojans. He coached Tennessee. He had his opportunities and he’s failed. He wasn’t like Mario. Mario never should’ve been fired from FIU and everybody knew it unlike Kiffin who deserved to be fired at USC. Everywhere Mario has been he’s turned it into a winner and a big winner at that. Kiffin on the other hand has proven he can’t win at high level jobs.

Advertisement
I’d love to believe you. And I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible, but who are you? How do you know that Mario would be open to returning if we dedicated the resources he was asking? I just can’t see Mario leaving Oregon, especially if he’s built them into a playoff threat year after year now.

Oregon basically has their pick of west coast recruits right now. Their biggest threat is USC, who just fired their coach and are looking at at least a year or two rebuild. Probably longer. We’re competing with FSU and Florida constantly, along with Bama, OSU, etc who come down and poach a few from us every year. The competition for recruits is vastly different on this side of the country.

On top of that, with our fan base, if he didn’t produce in two years we’d be calling for his head.

I just can’t see wanting to leave Oregon with all those factors going on. He’d be giving up more job security for less. No matter how strong the family pull is, idk if that’s enough
I get your skepticism. If you're on or read these boards long enough, you'll come across quite a few phonies for sure.

I'm no insider, never have or will be

I am however very good friends with a Cristobal family member. I've been present when this topic was brought up and heard from his wife's mouth that they would welcome and a return "home" if it was possible. This was very shortly after Richt retired and it was assumed by the family that Miami officials would contact Mario's agent and gage his interest

No formal contact was made by Miami. However I was told that a specific booster did call Mario and they talked about the opening

Recently I was with my friend having a beer and some of his family began discussing that Mario on visits home from Oregon has talked about relishing the opportunity to return home to Miami and the challenge of coaching here. He was definitely soured by how the process was handled with the Manny hire, the whole family was based on the comments and the tone of the conversation. His family is aware of the growing sentiment around the program and the feeling that Manny might not be the head coach here for years to come. They don't have their heads in the sand

Since the season started I asked and was told that Mario has said "If they are committed to winning big, I would be interested in what they have to say".

So no, its not an impossibility. From knowing the family, they aren't flashy or put a whole lot of stock in money or extravagance. I don't get the impression he would ask for 10 million a year as some one has suggested.

Pin this thread, and if I'm wrong I will take whatever the boards wants to give.......

What do you mean up and coming? He coached the Raiders. He coached the Trojans. He coached Tennessee. He had his opportunities and he’s failed. He wasn’t like Mario. Mario never should’ve been fired from FIU and everybody knew it unlike Kiffin who deserved to be fired at USC. Everywhere Mario has been he’s turned it into a winner and a big winner at that. Kiffin on the other hand has proven he can’t win at high level jobs.
I would hardly say he was a big winner at FIU. And Kiffin at FAU was much better than Cristobal at FIU. I do believe Cristobal is a good coach tho, definitely a huge upgrade over Manny. I just think Kiffin with all his offensive prowess, and learning from his past experiences, is better.

Perhaps, the new AD pushes her out? That person is going to want to bring in their own people and if her reputation precedes her then this should be an easy fix. If Frenks does get involved then it would contradict a lot about how’s he’s handled the Athletic Department by staying away and not micromanaging.
Should be that simple. But I don't get that perception out of it.

Advertisement
Back