It all comes down to money and courage

Advertisement
I would hardly say he was a big winner at FIU. And Kiffin at FAU was much better than Cristobal at FIU. I do believe Cristobal is a good coach tho, definitely a huge upgrade over Manny. I just think Kiffin with all his offensive prowess, and learning from his past experiences, is better.
Kiffin would get us the death penalty & he has never shown an ability to hire the right people or even run the right scheme on defense. Offensively we'd be unstoppable but I'm tired of weak minded teams with no base. He's more of a schematics person(which is fine and dandy as long as you're coached right and physical) his teams never seemed physical in the least to me.

I would hardly say he was a big winner at FIU. And Kiffin at FAU was much better than Cristobal at FIU. I do believe Cristobal is a good coach tho, definitely a huge upgrade over Manny. I just think Kiffin with all his offensive prowess, and learning from his past experiences, is better.

FIU had 0 wins the year before Mario. I am in the camp that Mario wasn't ready to coach Miami coming out of FIU or after working for Saban for 3-4 years. He was already much more qualified than Manny when Richt retired and should have been in the conversation then. But now, he is a proven head coach. Mario improved his resume with every step and not taken any short cuts to being a great HC since FIU.

I have no issue with looking at Kiffin, Schiano and others if/when Manny implodes. But Mario's star is ascendant right now. He can pull in any up-and-coming or even senior staff he wants, can get us Top 3 recruiting classes, and can hopefully land us booster money otherwise unavailable. There are plenty of singles and doubles out there. This guy is a home run.

... by contrast, Manny should be head coach of Temple right now, then spend another 3 years at a secondary P5 team like FSU before he should have even been in the discussion to be our HC. I really want him to succeed. But Blake hiring him was (and still is) a fireable offense.

FIU had 0 wins the year before Mario. I am in the camp that Mario wasn't ready to coach Miami coming out of FIU or after working for Saban for 3-4 years. He was already much more qualified than Manny when Richt retired and should have been in the conversation then. But now, he is a proven head coach. Mario improved his resume with every step and not taken any short cuts to being a great HC since FIU.

I have no issue with looking at Kiffin, Schiano and others if/when Manny implodes. But Mario's star is ascendant right now. He can pull in any up-and-coming or even senior staff he wants, can get us Top 3 recruiting classes, and can hopefully land us booster money otherwise unavailable. There are plenty of singles and doubles out there. This guy is a home run.

... by contrast, Manny should be head coach of Temple right now, then spend another 3 years at a secondary P5 team like FSU before he should have even been in the discussion to be our HC. I really want him to succeed. But Blake hiring him was (and still is) a fireable offense.
If we lose this week, Blake should be fired immediately. Bring in his replacement and let the coaching search begin now.

Advertisement
I get your skepticism. If you're on or read these boards long enough, you'll come across quite a few phonies for sure.

I'm no insider, never have or will be

I am however very good friends with a Cristobal family member. I've been present when this topic was brought up and heard from his wife's mouth that they would welcome and a return "home" if it was possible. This was very shortly after Richt retired and it was assumed by the family that Miami officials would contact Mario's agent and gage his interest

No formal contact was made by Miami. However I was told that a specific booster did call Mario and they talked about the opening

Recently I was with my friend having a beer and some of his family began discussing that Mario on visits home from Oregon has talked about relishing the opportunity to return home to Miami and the challenge of coaching here. He was definitely soured by how the process was handled with the Manny hire, the whole family was based on the comments and the tone of the conversation. His family is aware of the growing sentiment around the program and the feeling that Manny might not be the head coach here for years to come. They don't have their heads in the sand

Since the season started I asked and was told that Mario has said "If they are committed to winning big, I would be interested in what they have to say".

So no, its not an impossibility. From knowing the family, they aren't flashy or put a whole lot of stock in money or extravagance. I don't get the impression he would ask for 10 million a year as some one has suggested.

Pin this thread, and if I'm wrong I will take whatever the boards wants to give.......
I appreciate the clarification. I think Cristobal obviously has a great eye for talent, and knows what goes in to building a good team. If he is actually interested, then I would hope he would be one of the first contacted if Manny gets the rug pulled out from under him

sooooooo... we don't have to get all depressed after all the loses this year??? There's a Cristol lining in the works??!!???

Should be that simple. But I don't get that perception out of it.
kill me now GIF

Advertisement

I'll give you this, Kiffin is definitely more "X&O" than Cristobal. But, to me, I don't know if that's a bad thing. Mario isn't married to a system or asst coach. And, he actually had a good track record of hiring quality assts. Mario is more of a CEO type compared to Kiffin, and for a program in need of a serious culture change, I'd prefer the hard nosed leader over the offensive guru.

IMO, we could get Cristobal right now if Miami were willing to do what A&M and Michigan did. And we should take action sooner, not later.

Manny was a bad hire, and even after 5 years in the program is in over his head. Richt left the program with no obligations. Time to admit failure on the Manny experiment. take on whatever debt is needed to bring in a heavy hitter, and get this program back to relevance.

Cristobal wouldnt do JACK **** here though. Maybe an extra win per season, 9-3 instead of 8-4 on average. Meaningless.

Fans still cant get around the obvious. We will NEVER BE RELEVANT AGAIN unless the rules are changed to allow us to be relevant. Plain and simple.

Either take away the enforcement powers of the NCAA/media cabal and allow us to do whatever it takes to win like Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc or just accept the fact that we are VT South and have been for years.

Can't you see the progression of Kiffin? The guy admitted he was young and did some things wrong. He learned from his mistakes, and won at FAU. Moved on to Ole Miss and has had one of the top offenses in the country since he's been there. The guy can coach. Lets stop worrying about hiring good PR guys and hire good coaches.

So Kiffin only fvcked up the job right before FAU? And he should all kinds of credit for going 7-5 (thus far) at Ole Miss?

Come on now. He fvcked up at Oakland. He fvcked up at Tennessee. He fvcked up at USC. But, yeah, he enrolled in the Nick Saban Halfway House for Terrible and/or Drunken Coaches, and then he had oh-so-much-success at motherfvcking FAU. And hasn't done ****E yet at Ole Miss.

Look at the garbage that some of our fans try to sell us. Butch sucks because he is at FAU. Mario hasn't done ****e at Oregon. Manny should never have been hired as a first-time head coach at Miami. But, oooooooh, Lake Kiffin is a can't-miss coaching gawd because he has succeeded at ONE of his five head-coaching opportunities.

Insanity.

Advertisement
Two of his FIU assistants back then are now current P5 head coaches. Satterfield and Collins. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Yes.

And if Mario wants to hire Lake Kiffin to be his OC, I could support that.

I get your skepticism. If you're on or read these boards long enough, you'll come across quite a few phonies for sure.

I'm no insider, never have or will be

I am however very good friends with a Cristobal family member. I've been present when this topic was brought up and heard from his wife's mouth that they would welcome and a return "home" if it was possible. This was very shortly after Richt retired and it was assumed by the family that Miami officials would contact Mario's agent and gage his interest

No formal contact was made by Miami. However I was told that a specific booster did call Mario and they talked about the opening

Recently I was with my friend having a beer and some of his family began discussing that Mario on visits home from Oregon has talked about relishing the opportunity to return home to Miami and the challenge of coaching here. He was definitely soured by how the process was handled with the Manny hire, the whole family was based on the comments and the tone of the conversation. His family is aware of the growing sentiment around the program and the feeling that Manny might not be the head coach here for years to come. They don't have their heads in the sand

Since the season started I asked and was told that Mario has said "If they are committed to winning big, I would be interested in what they have to say".

So no, its not an impossibility. From knowing the family, they aren't flashy or put a whole lot of stock in money or extravagance. I don't get the impression he would ask for 10 million a year as some one has suggested.

Pin this thread, and if I'm wrong I will take whatever the boards wants to give.......

I'm not saying Mario would demand $10 million.

I'm saying that Miami should offer it, if it is comparable to the market and demonstrates our commitment, both to Mario and winning.

Mario learned how to put together a quality staff from Butch...long before Saban...A matter of fact..Saban learned that from Butch, when he was HC of MSU in the 90s, and asked Butch if he could come down to UM and see that for himself.

Advertisement
So Kiffin only fvcked up the job right before FAU? And he should all kinds of credit for going 7-5 (thus far) at Ole Miss?

Come on now. He fvcked up at Oakland. He fvcked up at Tennessee. He fvcked up at USC. But, yeah, he enrolled in the Nick Saban Halfway House for Terrible and/or Drunken Coaches, and then he had oh-so-much-success at motherfvcking FAU. And hasn't done ****E yet at Ole Miss.

Look at the garbage that some of our fans try to sell us. Butch sucks because he is at FAU. Mario hasn't done ****e at Oregon. Manny should never have been hired as a first-time head coach at Miami. But, oooooooh, Lake Kiffin is a can't-miss coaching gawd because he has succeeded at ONE of his five head-coaching opportunities.

Insanity.
You big mad with Kiffin huh? Lol. You need to go smoke or drink buddy and relax. Kiffin should be considered because we can win instantly with him. Look what he has done with Matt Corral. Give him Jake Garcia and we have the best offense in the ACC.

You big mad with Kiffin huh? Lol. You need to go smoke or drink buddy and relax. Kiffin should be considered because we can win instantly with him. Look what he has done with Matt Corral. Give him Jake Garcia and we have the best offense in the ACC.

What a childish response. I'm not "big mad with Kiffin", but I'm not blinded to his track record just because of The FAU Miracle.

"We can win instantly" with Kiffin. That overrated grifter hasn't "won instantly" at ANY of his five head coaching jobs EXCEPT FOR FAU.

So, to review, Kiffin has "won instantly" at exactly 20% of his head coaching jobs.

What a childish response. I'm not "big mad with Kiffin", but I'm not blinded to his track record just because of The FAU Miracle.

"We can win instantly" with Kiffin. That overrated grifter hasn't "won instantly" at ANY of his five head coaching jobs EXCEPT FOR FAU.

So, to review, Kiffin has "won instantly" at exactly 20% of his head coaching jobs.
Okay, so would you like to gift the job to Cristobal like we did Manny? Most people were not feeling this way a couple of weeks ago. One win against Ohio State and he is the savior. And since you wanna talk about track records, Kiffin has a winning record, Cristobal doesn't. Bottom line, let's perform a coaching search.

Advertisement
Back