It all comes down to money and courage

It isn’t lazy if the guy is good. Manny was lazy because he was a 1st time HC, not because he was previously on staff.

Mario has earned his stripes. He wouldn’t be controlled by any BOT member any more than any other hire, IMO.

Ex-players would love the hire. Is that somehow a negative to you?

I’m not sure baggage is the right word. What baggage?

I guess maybe because he came on board with golden for a cup of coffee then bolted for Bama? I think most can look past that. I know I can.

Id love to get an up and comer type, but this program needs established and successful right now. We can’t afford another miss. Mario checks all the boxes, and he is a true cane at heart.

I didn’t want him last round, but I’d chip in for his salary this round.
If a BOT member paid all his salary, as has been discussed as how we get him, then yes possible baggage.

Explayers likes and dislikes can be divisive as it is largely emotional and not about in depth analysis of a coaching search.

Making one phone call and calling it a search is not a great process unless Urban Meyer is on the other end of the phone, and he likely won’t be, if the only call is going to Mario.

Advertisement
If a BOT member paid all his salary, as has been discussed as how we get him, then yes possible baggage.

Explayers likes and dislikes can be divisive as it is largely emotional and not about in depth analysis of a coaching search.

Making one phone call and calling it a search is not a great process unless Urban Meyer is on the other end of the phone, and he likely won’t be, if the only call is going to Mario.
The real question is, would you be happy with a Mario hire right now?

If the answer is yes, then the search is semantics.

We just have to cut straight to the chase and offer him $10 million per year. No debates about "is he worth it" or "who else we could have gotten for that money".

Saban is not walking through that door. Swinney is not walking through that door. Meyer is not walking through that door.

If you have a guy who is good and wants to coach for the U, pay that man. Let's not try to debate whether we can get him for $6.75 million. We gave Temple $4 million for Manny's two week notice.

Again, I am not definitely saying that Mario is the one-and-only person to contact, but if we decide to go in that direction, don't try to negotiate a bargain price. Pay the money and STFU.
Manny has a contract that starts at 3mm and goes up by 500k every year .. add the 4mm buyout and manny’s deal is 4.8mm per year .. we can get to 6mm

Advertisement
Who’s Mario’s offense and defensive coordinators? Have the been with him a while?

Advertisement
I agree with you. I’m being irrational. But in a vacuum, if you told me I could trade Manny for Mario, I would.
Right. If we are asking would you trade Manny for Mario, paid for by the Soffers putting their foot down, Blake is gone, all the resources that would have been spent to pay Mario for assistants and other things, then make the ******* call….

Mario actually played the game of football (manny never wore a helmet in his life. He secured video clips)

Mario played at Miami and understand the city and culture of the program

Mario won two titles as a player at Miami and titles as a coach at Alabama

Mario was a great player at Miami

Mario played in the trenches, went against guys like Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy every day in practice, and he understands the games are won upfront

Marios team will be tough, nasty and disciplined

Mario is an ace recruiter

Mario is an established HC

Mario trained and was tutored by Saban

Mario was trained and tutored by Butch. He was GA on Butch Davis’ staff at Miami from 1998-2000, and had a front row seat watching Butch recruit and develop the some if the greatest collection of talent ever witnessed in CFB.

Mario has two PAC-12 titles

Mario has 2 bowl victories including a Rose bowl win

Mario has won big games at home and in the road

Mario is respected by his peers in the coaching community; Manny isn’t

Mario is still young and he’s a proven winner, proven coach and he’s proven he can win titles as a player and coach

Last edited:
Mario actually played the game of football (manny never wore a helmet in his life. He secured video clips)

Mario played at Miami and understand the city and culture of the program

Mario won two titles as a player at Miami and titles as a coach at Alabama

Mario was a great player at Miami

Mario played in the trenches and understands the games are win upfront

Marios team will be tough, nasty and disciolinez

Mario is an ace recruiter

Mario is an established HC

Mario trained under saban

Mario has one the PAC-12

Mario has won a rose bowl

Mario has won big games at home and in the road

Mario is respected by his peers in the coaching community; Manny isn’t

Mario is still young and he’s a proven winner, proven coach and he’s proven he can win titles as a player and coach

👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿

Manny has helped immensely promoting the school, NIL (w/ his family connections working in the state house), branding.

But we need to win! And Manny isnt close to the proven winner Mario is. If someone is truly offering to cover Cristobal's salary, I'd fire Manny and Blake Sunday morning, win/loss/or draw.

Manny understands Miami.

MARIO IS FROM THE U

Given the track record of the school; there is no way in **** they are going to sell the farm to get Mario Cristobal. No way. None.

First off, are we going to outbid Nike Northwest? No. Are the boosters going to pony up the money to buy out Diaz? Although over the years we have heard of high level boosters wanting Mario, I don't think so.

Would Mario want to come down? Yes, he is an alum, and was employed with the school for 5.7 seconds. Would he want to deal with the BOT and a joke of an AD? Probably not.

He'd probably want at least 5.5 million, and I don't think the school would want to give it to him.
He was employed at UM for 4yrs....

Advertisement
The Cristobal move has been getting an unusual amount of traction lately. Almost as if the money people BTS are willing to drop the bag for him.
Yep, they keep saying Oregon and Nike better offer him something he can't refuse contract extension wise, because Miami

Advertisement
I wonder if, who ever is willing to pony up the $ for Cristobal, offered last time around?

If so, can UM sue Blake lol?

I'm assuming Cristobal will have a 'suggestion' on ADs.

Anybody know any names ?
Yep, the Soffers offered to pay his Oregon Buyout, others on the BOT were ready to pay him and his staff what he needed, then the ***aloon Flakes hired Manuela in the middle of the night, after discussions with Wario had taken place...a fireable offense from the Jump. ***aloon Flake is a used peanut salesman with a tranny husband who needs to be fired immediately if not sooner. We could be Oregon right now!

It isn’t lazy if the guy is good. Manny was lazy because he was a 1st time HC, not because he was previously on staff.

Mario has earned his stripes. He wouldn’t be controlled by any BOT member any more than any other hire, IMO.

Ex-players would love the hire. Is that somehow a negative to you?

I’m not sure baggage is the right word. What baggage?

I guess maybe because he came on board with golden for a cup of coffee then bolted for Bama? I think most can look past that. I know I can.

Id love to get an up and comer type, but this program needs established and successful right now. We can’t afford another miss. Mario checks all the boxes, and he is a true cane at heart.

I didn’t want him last round, but I’d chip in for his salary this round.
Same

Advertisement
Back