Is this a good decision by the QB?

Theres a lot we dont know from the clip, but there are two things we do know. 1. That was a risky throw/decision. 2. There was a very open rb with room to run, which would have been a much less risky decision. In football, the odds have a way of catching up to you over time.

Advertisement
LOL, so now you have to be a HOFer to give QB advice?...well I guess that makes guys like Enos, Doug Pederson, & Frank Reich "inadequate" huh? And if you watched the video, you'd clearly hear Vick say "my coach told me" several times, He wasn't just pulling info out of His ***.
I didnt watch the video and I'm not saying hof at all. I'm simply saying hes a bad example of someone you take advice from when it comes to a passing game. He was elite as a playmaker and had a missile for an arm but all you ever had to do with him was contain and he was worthless. Frank reich was 20x the qb he was. But I understand your point. Again it's just a matter of the QBs who do that and get away with it are 9 out of 10 very accurate and cerebral with their approach. Not trying to argue or shoot at you brother.

It was a good decision, good route by MI2 also. Irvin did a good job of recognizing the zone and sitting in the hole.

LOL, good thing none of y'all were the OC in 2K vs FSU, Dorsey would've been throwing check downs instead of those brass ball throws He made on the game winning drive...SMH.

This check down would’ve easily gone for 20 yards, look at the still

Funny you mention that as screens were in integral part of our offense at that time...

I forgot what game it was, but remember McGahee’s 80 yard screen or check down in the orange bowl. I’m trying to rack my brain that may have been FSU but I remember it was in the orange bowl in our championship year.

Advertisement

I’m neither calling out one specific QB, nor overly praising him.

I’m posting this fairly straightforward example to see what people say regarding this play. Again, this is NOT about a particular player, inasmuch as it is about how we evaluate a specific play and/or player. A specific completion, a specific result.

I’ll post my evaluation, and I am admittedly no quarterback expert not even a little bit, later in this thread.

The problem is that the only good drives he had was against the second defense that had at least 2-3 walk-ons starting.. Nearly every completion he had was to a WR that was wide open from a blown coverage. Murphy was arguably the best DB on the second unit which should tell you everything you need to know.

I was seated in the end zone and Perry clearing
Based on what I saw Perry Tate then Williams

1. Perry - has the most superior arm of the 3 but he stares down his presnap primary read but I was encouraged by the fact that when a play breaks down Perry remains mobile in the pockets while keeping his eyes down the field for open receivers.

2. Tate - Shotgun/spread offense seems to be his wheelhouse but when put in under center he struggle with accuracy even when the play is open. Tate has the best mobility which maybe best suited with this Oline but to me Tate seem to be a more package type QB.

Williams - Sigh when forced to move in the pocket the pass play is going nowhere and he seem to be the slowest of the 3 Qb's
Where you in the south endzone towards the pylon where Dallas, Irvin and Peyton scored?

I forgot what game it was, but remember McGahee’s 80 yard screen or check down in the orange bowl. I’m trying to rack my brain that may have been FSU but I remember it was in the orange bowl in our championship year.
Willis,Clint and Frank would routinely reel off huge gains on screens. Jason geathers even more routinely before he switched to wr.

Willis,Clint and Frank would routinely reel off huge gains on screens. Jason geathers even more routinely before he switched to wr.

Yea man...Jason Geathers was a **** of an athlete...He could’ve stayed at running back anf balled except we had so many good ones there

Advertisement
We’ll agree to disagree. The throw was based on his read. His timing was adjusted because he had to move in the pocket.

Of course, we’re both debating when we don’t know the play call or the progression.

The bigger point is the fact that the LB didn’t cover their area doers t mean the QB didn’t make the proper read.
Add into account It was mainly Walton’s on D..well agree to disagree..but no it was not a read

With spring practice now officially over, do the coaches get a chance to review film with the players, and discuss this play, and others? How much coach\player interaction is allowed from now till fall camp starts?

I see what you're saying but he feels or sees pressue and when he hops to the right of the pocket he is obviously eeping a bead, looking down field. At that point, I'm not sure he has time to twist, get his feat set and dump it off. The decisons happen a lot faster when those DL are closing.

The dump off was there. As soon as he senses pressure he should look for the safety valve. With 10 seconds left and trying to get in field goal position I would not be making the same argument. Context is important. However he made a good play out of a bad read. That is not I’m sure what he is being taught.

Add into account It was mainly Walton’s on D..well agree to disagree..but no it was not a read

It was definitely a read. Every play is a read. No QB is out there making up plays. Lol

Question is, was the read correct or incorrect.

But whatever. You can be the smartest poster if you want. Let me know what the award is. Lol

Advertisement
Always a good decsion when you execute a throw and catch 17-yards downfield. It only becomes a bad decison if it was forced and poorley executed, resulting in an INT. The outlet likey doesn't get 17 yards against a fast D.

That's a hero play if it kept a late drive alive for a winning FG or TD, the outlet is just conjecture.
I'd like to see Perry do it from under center, you know where hes had his issues, then come talk to me

Advertisement
Thanks I was going strictly off memory in my head. That was one **** of an exciting play

With spring practice now officially over, do the coaches get a chance to review film with the players, and discuss this play, and others? How much coach\player interaction is allowed from now till fall camp starts?

It’s limited interaction, I don’t know the exact rules, but I would bet my entire mortgage that the quarterbacks are reviewing every single play with Enos. Every. Single. Play.

Seems like we were having this same discussion regarding Perry after the spring game last year. He's got a little too much gunslinger in him. His arm talent is elite so he thinks he can make every throw but he's too focused on forcing the ball downfield, even if it means throwing into coverage. I liked his footwork in a crowded pocket and I like that he kept his eyes up but holding on to the ball too long, waiting for your guy to get open and then throwing late across the middle scares me.

Advertisement
Back