Is this a good decision by the QB?

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

All-ACC (#1 most reproted porster on CIS)

I’m neither calling out one specific QB, nor overly praising him.

I’m posting this fairly straightforward example to see what people say regarding this play. Again, this is NOT about a particular player, inasmuch as it is about how we evaluate a specific play and/or player. A specific completion, a specific result.

I’ll post my evaluation, and I am admittedly no quarterback expert not even a little bit, later in this thread.

Advertisement
Kosi did, when pressure was coming in, step up in the pocket a couple times. It was nice to see.

I guess all 3 had their good and not-so-good moments yesterday.

Only way that one is gonna separate himself is in the fall when it’s live.

On this particular play, NP was locked in on where he want to throw. A dangerous tendency (if it is) during the season. Some of you posting above about other receivers being open, are right. I hope this is corrected, or we’re gonna be in for a long season if he is the best we have game time.

Advertisement
From this video, which doesn’t show much of the defense, seems the right read was the back that was out in the flats wide open for multiple seconds. The whole side of the defense pulled over with Kosi “keeping his eyes downfield.”

You can pause the video in certain spots and see where most of the defense is at any one particular time. Maybe not all 11 players like a deep safety, but you get a general feel of where everybody is at a specific moment. Looks like a pretty vanilla 4-3, with the cb playing somewhat in based on z positioning

Last edited:
Not sure if he could maintain this in heated battle, yes he has improved and must continue way more consistency needed and I guess I can say this about all three.

Some one is showing a good grasp then drops off and another does the same.

Coaches have a huge decision, I myself have scares of Kosi plus lingering Koolaide issues I must put behind me .

Well as of now I’m Tate lean not by much though. Other then Tate they’ve had 11/2 years to grow and haven’t, yes MR played apart in holding them back but that doesn’t mean you can’t improve at all though, this is why I’m a Tate lean while the others just went Oh well it is what it is and gave up basically in crazy videos and gain weight and going through the motions every day and settled for mediocrity NOT A GOOD SIGN.

Tate took a huge chance a leap of faith I really like that and came hear and is learning a completely new system.

All Tate in my book , but @OriginalCanesCanesCanes very good points glad to see Kosi improvement, summer is coming and everyone better not take a moments rest season never ends whom ever embraces this and shows up firing on all cylinders WINS.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Last season, Kosi probably left 400 yards on the field staring downfield and not dumping it off in the flats.

The only time I remember him dumping it off to the RB was against VT when Cam scored.

I don’t know if he locks on to his first read but he definitely forced some throws last year. Its not a surprise to hear he had a great Spring but looking forward to hearing about a great Summer and watching some great QB play in the fall.

Last season, Kosi probably left 400 yards on the field staring downfield and not dumping it off in the flats.

The only time I remember him dumping it off to the RB was against VT when Cam scored.

I don’t know if he locks on to his first read but he definitely forced some throws last year. Its not a surprise to hear he had a great Spring but looking forward to hearing about a great Summer and watching some great QB play in the fall.
And when he does dump it off he throws it 90mph with little accuracy.

Easy money if he cleans that up.

What a nice 34 post especially leaving 400 yards on the field so so true followed by second reads this is my concern in 3-4 quarters QB’s have to have that look in there eye when others are looking at you a Jim Kelly ( we going deep ) and Rocky Belk is rubbing his hands in confidence to sell that secondary read .

This is my question I think Tate brings it only shows up in game pressure not really in practice but in battle.

Kosi has the oh ****e reaction we’ve seen.

Good 34 post impressive

GOCANES

Advertisement
And when he does dump it off he throws it 90mph with little accuracy.

Easy money if he cleans that up.

Yes sir. That’s what I see too. He had a couple of games last year where he couldn’t miss. I think he was 10/10 against FIU and 6/6 or 7/7 in another game. No way all of those completions were his first read.

He definitely flashed. I don’t think there is anything he can’t do physically but he has to get better and make other teams cover the whole field.

Williams did a much better job than this in the 3rd qtr. It was called a sack and Enos was ****ed at the refs. Williams scooted to his left and was barely touched by a DL right as he tossed a 25 yard dot that would have been a completion in a live game. Best pass of the day actually.

Nothing specific on the actual play but throwing across your body is always dangerous. Then again, I'd take a too risky QB over a too conservative one.

I couldn't tell who his initial read was for sure but I dont think it was Irvin. Looks like Kosi looked off his initial read, panicked and went to scramble, then something clicked in his brain that Irvin was going to have a window. Quick release with power got the ball there. Seems like he knew where his receivers would be and when they would be there.

Kosi has a strong arm and he knows that. He has confidence in his arm. I like that about him.

Advertisement
This illustrates why you just can't go by stats to evaluate how well a qb performed from a coaching standpoint. Even though the play was a success it looked like the wrong read and may draw the coaches ire behind the scenes. Meanwhile a pass that goes incomplete and is the right read may get praise from the coach. The casual fan will not know any better and think Nkosi "played great".

Perry is like a lot of College Quarterbacks "gutsy". Was it the right read? Maybe not, but I bet it'll keep those Linebackers on their toes second guessing their reads next time he drops back. Because it's clear Perry doesn't care how close you're he trust his Throwing Power, and Accuracy.

A confident QB? Yeah I like that.

P.S. Stop trying to give Tate the job because last week he was terrible. Let the boys compete. Consistency is something we lacked last year.

I’ve never seen Kosi throw a check down to the RB no matter how wide open they are. He forces passes downfield, That is the one knock I have on him.

With Jarren he gives me Brad Kaaya vibes (in a bad way) but to what degree remains to be seen... all the comments about how perfect his throws are, sounds like Kaaya and then gets in the game and its 3 and outs and sacks all day.

With Martell he comes off like a gamer being able to make plays on the run but also comes off like he could cost u a game too... I wanna see more consistency in his throws, more velocity and less ducks.

Always a good decsion when you execute a throw and catch 17-yards downfield. It only becomes a bad decison if it was forced and poorley executed, resulting in an INT. The outlet likey doesn't get 17 yards against a fast D.

That's a hero play if it kept a late drive alive for a winning FG or TD, the outlet is just conjecture.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back