Is this a good decision by the QB?

I'll say this, the playmakers make plays, perry has that ability to be a consistent playmaker, that throw he made to jt4 against Fsu up the seem where you couldnt even see jt4, in that moment in that game, if he can consistently do that plus consistently hit the basic an open throws, teams are going to start getting blown out on a regular. Also, perry has the ability to throw it anywhere, so a defense cant nap, so if perry starts consistently displaying the ability to see the whole field close to brad kaaya's level, he's going to start being a consistent problem!
A lotta ifs there.

Advertisement
Brother without knowing the play call & what the OC wants against that particular coverage/front..No one here knows it if it’s a good decision by the QB.

I do like that he showed ability to buy time in the pocket & threw a strike between two defenders where only the WR could get it & the defenders couldn’t. That’s called being a playmaker

Here’s what I think.

Your first sentence is key. Which is what was the call and what does the OC actually want?

Assuming he wasn’t told don’t throw to the outlet, the RB on his right is a guaranteed first down, a much safer throw with nobody around him, and the RB possibly takes it to the house with one juke.

The reason I said your first sentence was key, is that he could’ve been told don’t throw to the safety valve.

But in a real game, it would have been a bad decision in my opinion, because he would’ve missed an easy pitch and catch, an easy first down, and possibly much longer. Instead of choosing to throw into coverage, even if the coverage had been loose .

As an FYI, i’m posting this not to take a shlt on the guy, like other people do to push their agendas, because I don’t have one. I really have no idea who is going to pull out ahead, and I don’t have a favorite. I do love that Kosi is looking a lot better than he ever has.

We dont know if it was a bad decision or not. Don't know the coverage or the route combos that were run. What we can see is he moved off his original spot and scrambled to the right and then threw back to what he belived was an open man. If the WR is running a dig and the lb moved up to take the drag/was influenced by the drag, that might be the right play. people keep saying stupid **** like he locked in on wr pre snap and are Dummies. He can see wr1,wr2 and the drag potentially by looking in that direction. you have no idea what he is actually looking at. The flat is clearly wide open, the question is did he make the correct read and are we judging the results and not the actual task he was given. the throw looks completely different if he doesnt have to move off his spot. based on not knowing what he is supposed to do and seeing DJ in the flat, my preference would have been DJ, but i don't know if he did a bad thing and i cant see how open the Wr is and what his angle/window is to fit the ball in.

We dont know if it was a bad decision or not. Don't know the coverage or the route combos that were run. What we can see is he moved off his original spot and scrambled to the right and then threw back to what he belived was an open man. If the WR is running a dig and the lb moved up to take the drag/was influenced by the drag, that might be the right play. people keep saying stupid **** like he locked in on wr pre snap and are Dummies. He can see wr1,wr2 and the drag potentially by looking in that direction. you have no idea what he is actually looking at. The flat is clearly wide open, the question is did he make the correct read and are we judging the results and not the actual task he was given. the throw looks completely different if he doesnt have to move off his spot. based on not knowing what he is supposed to do and seeing DJ in the flat, my preference would have been DJ, but i don't know if he did a bad thing and i cant see how open the Wr is and what his angle/window is to fit the ball in.

I don’t see how in a real game, throwing to DJ isn’t the best decision by a wide margin.

How could it not be?

Like was said in a prior post, I don’t know if he was told “forget about the running back”...it’s possible.

In a real game though...look at the still above.

Anyway, it’s a real football question, and I don’t claim to be any kind of an expert. I’m just going by possible outcomes as I see them

Advertisement
I’ve never seen Kosi throw a check down to the RB no matter how wide open they are. He forces passes downfield, That is the one knock I have on him.

With Jarren he gives me Brad Kaaya vibes (in a bad way) but to what degree remains to be seen... all the comments about how perfect his throws are, sounds like Kaaya and then gets in the game and its 3 and outs and sacks all day.

With Martell he comes off like a gamer being able to make plays on the run but also comes off like he could cost u a game too... I wanna see more consistency in his throws, more velocity and less ducks.

Must disagree with the PTSD. I think Williams seems to demonstrate much better feel for the pocket and pressure than Brad.

I’m neither calling out one specific QB, nor overly praising him.

I’m posting this fairly straightforward example to see what people say regarding this play. Again, this is NOT about a particular player, inasmuch as it is about how we evaluate a specific play and/or player. A specific completion, a specific result.

I’ll post my evaluation, and I am admittedly no quarterback expert not even a little bit, later in this thread.

That’s a pick 9-10 times tbh

For those saying they don’t know if it was a bad decision..it was. He’s reading back side and He threw late over the middle across his body with the jeter styl jump action to top it off ..even tho it was a completed pass, those are 2 no no’s..but you see the kid has world of talent cause that is unbelievably difficult.

Advertisement
This is where Martell might end up being the safer pick.
Martell misses easy reads too. Even with the big run in the Ohio State clips people hyped up, he missed a simple read on that play that also goes for big yardage. But at least Martell is missing the reads because he’s always looking to run. It’s not as much “throw it here, don’t care about the coverage.”
I’d almost rather live with Martell missing the read and then scrambling around and lets see what he picks up, than Perry missing the read because he’s throwing back over the middle into double and triple coverage.

I was seated in the end zone and Perry clearing staring at target presnap

Which is y what he did on the practice field didn’t translate to game day. What he will see in practice will def be different in real games. Unfortunately, that’s the bad habit that worries me. All 3 have issues that makes me feel uneasy. Jarren underthrows, Kosi stares down, and Tate’s limited passing in his career.

I just want to see a game manager, that has the command of the offense, can keep droves alive, and don’t give up the ball.

I’m posting this fairly straightforward example to see what people say regarding this play. Again, this is NOT about a particular player, inasmuch as it is about how we evaluate a specific play and/or player. A specific completion, a specific result.

I’ll post my evaluation, and I am admittedly no quarterback expert not even a little bit, later in this thread.

Actually it was a horrible read. In that instance you see the running back drop into the flat at the same time the backer drops into coverage atleast 20 yards deep mid field. The perfect play isnt always the ones that require difficulty. Hes still learning just like the others. He needs to get more comfortable in the pocket so he processes his reads.

Yes sir. That’s what I see too. He had a couple of games last year where he couldn’t miss. I think he was 10/10 against FIU and 6/6 or 7/7 in another game. No way all of those completions were his first read.

He definitely flashed. I don’t think there is anything he can’t do physically but he has to get better and make other teams cover the whole field.
I’ve always been a huge fan of his talent. His leadership is something I hope to see him make strides.

I personally thought Jarren would outpace him eventually just because of his all around skills but Perry is absolutely talented enough to start for most any team in the country if he continues to work hard. He’s got a ways to go but there were flashes of brilliance from him last year.

Advertisement
I say dumb. Doesn’t have the arm to consistently make that throw. Not against a real defense. Over time, that’s a 50% completion rate and a 15:10 interception ratio.

I don’t see how in a real game, throwing to DJ isn’t the best decision by a wide margin.

How could it not be?

Like was said in a prior post, I don’t know if he was told “forget about the running back”...it’s possible.

In a real game though...look at the still above.

Anyway, it’s a real football question, and I don’t claim to be any kind of an expert. I’m just going by possible outcomes as I see them

My point is this: if his first read was the dig and the dig came open, then that is the throw. I think what complicates this particular throw is the fact he had to move off his spot and that changed the timing. If that play happens with a clean pocket and he has the dig, he has to throw the dig regardless of what is happening backside with DJ in the flat. Now, he did have to move and improvised. He jammed one in to what he percieved to be the open guy. I am not sure that is a good thing and would also prefer him to come off the dig and just throw the flat. Is the rule to come off the dig if you don't have a clean pocket? I doubt that. We all hate the quarterback that doesnt throw down field and takes the saftey option way too often.

again, i am not saying he did the right thing. I am saying that I don't KNOW that he did a bad thing either. Its likely the wrong thing because of the mechanics it took to jam the ball back in there. its not bad if he had the room and angle to do it.

Actually it was a horrible read. In that instance you see the running back drop into the flat at the same time the backer drops into coverage atleast 20 yards deep mid field. The perfect play isnt always the ones that require difficulty. Hes still learning just like the others. He needs to get more comfortable in the pocket so he processes his reads.

In a real game, I agree. I would be saying he needs to see the RB wide open in his periphery. In a real game the actual throw he ended up making might be a risky throw with possible catastrophic outcome vs a sure thing first down with #13, and a huge gain.

Is it possible he was told to go downfield and not read the flats (RB safety release)? Maybe, I don’t know.

And I’m not banging on Kosi, because all three quarterbacks have missed reads either way.

Even the best quarterbacks don’t always take the best options and make the proper reads every game. The game moves fast, and nobody is ever 100%. It just doesn’t happen. It’s just that the better quarterbacks minimize their bad reads.

Overall, we’re in a much better position on the quarterback room then we have been for three years or longer. Or at least it seems that way.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here’s what I think.

Your first sentence is key. Which is what was the call and what does the OC actually want?

Assuming he wasn’t told don’t throw to the outlet, the RB on his right is a guaranteed first down, a much safer throw with nobody around him, and the RB possibly takes it to the house with one juke.

The reason I said your first sentence was key, is that he could’ve been told don’t throw to the safety valve.

But in a real game, it would have been a bad decision in my opinion, because he would’ve missed an easy pitch and catch, an easy first down, and possibly much longer. Instead of choosing to throw into coverage, even if the coverage had been loose .

As an FYI, i’m posting this not to take a shlt on the guy, like other people do to push their agendas, because I don’t have one. I really have no idea who is going to pull out ahead, and I don’t have a favorite. I do love that Kosi is looking a lot better than he ever has.

View attachment 83865
The integral part here is the objective of plays is always to yield results. In this instance put players in space,flare the back in to the flat where hes isolated with a backer a good distance away. #1 pick up the first. #2 look for high yield match ups. A running back in space on an isolated linebacker a good distance away. I'll take that match up 100% of the time.

That tweet is from a fan's perspective. Coaches care about proper execution, and they should, but fans just care about results. The fan say's "yay it's a TD!" while the coach says "nice job, wtf didn't you put the ball where you were supposed to?" Point being, no that wasn't the right read, but it worked so only coaches care that it wasn't the right read.

I’ve always been a huge fan of his talent. His leadership is something I hope to see him make strides.

I personally thought Jarren would outpace him eventually just because of his all around skills but Perry is absolutely talented enough to start for most any team in the country if he continues to work hard. He’s got a ways to go but there were flashes of brilliance from him last year.
With all of the QBs it's not the physical though. It's the mental. Both kosi and tate have to be a lil more patient in the pocket(trust I know its REAL hard the way the line is right now)but without doing it well never be able to get routes to open up & they'll never be able to process most of their reads.

The integral part here is the objective of plays is always to yield results. In this instance put players in space,flare the back in to the flat where hes isolated with a backer a good distance away. #1 pick up the first. #2 look for high yield match ups. A running back in space on an isolated linebacker a good distance away. I'll take that match up 100% of the time.

Please elightnen me as to how you know that the play's intent? we know the result, but not what we wanted to happen. I would argue that based on the formation and all the action to the front side that the front side is where the play is intended to go. Good QBs get back to that backside flat. I agree 100% on that. I am just hoping the decision making was sound and that there was a rationale he can explain to Enos on why he did what he did. I hope he saw it presnap and as the play was developing, moved off his spot and hit the right guy according to what we were trying to do. I am hoping, i know what i don't know.

Advertisement
Back