is Tate still on the team? possible he could start the bowl game?

The kid has taken two leaves of absence over the past month—for what looks to be nothing more than his head being so far up his IG girlfriend's culo, to the point where he's on the outs with his own family and they're saying he's losing interest in football (and everything else) as a result of all things Kiki Passo—yet our fans still want to anoint the guy as some second-coming, because of his high school accolades, his "swag" on "Beyond The Lights" and some over played highlight reel of him in garbage time against Rutgers while at Ohio State.

Dude literally asked for "personal time" (for what looks like girlfriend and family drama) and wasn't there for Pitt week back, as well as the FIU and Duke losses—yet fans keep giving the kid a pass and blaming the coaching staff, instead of hime.

The Legend of Tathan Martell continues to grow ... despite him literally doing zero on a football field this year; unable to unseat the inconsistent Jarren Williams and erratic N'Kosi Perry.

Got it. Makes total sense.
Or we could just keep rewarding the QB who threatens to transfer after every time he’s benched.

Advertisement
Normally I would agree, but our culture is so bad right now I don't see how it could hurt. Starting a guy who just lost to FIU and Duke isn't great for team morale either.

while Jarren was awful, the entire laid flat agaisnt FIU. we have to get to the point where we can tell one of these qbS to buzz off and be okay.

Or we could just keep rewarding the QB who threatens to transfer after every time he’s benched.

neither should be rewarded. if were gonna give anyone a real shot, it should be perry for the bowl considering hes been the most team first guy on the squad

neither should be rewarded. if were gonna give anyone a real shot, it should be perry for the bowl considering hes been the most team first guy on the squad

He really deserves it. Never thought I’d say this, but it appears he’s the most mature guy we’ve got in the QB room.

Advertisement
while Jarren was awful, the entire laid flat agaisnt FIU. we have to get to the point where we can tell one of these qbS to buzz off and be okay.

That's a problem with leadership. There's none at the coaching level and none at the player level. Taking a flyer on Tate for the bowl game to see if anything changes is a risk absolutely worth taking because he's shown leadership potential as a starter.

i dont think anyone really thinks tate is going to somehow magically turn this offense around under enos. i think we're just bored with this **** and if we're forced to watch this garbage team play in this dumpster fire of a bowl game, let's at least mix it up a little

Advertisement
When was the last time Tate lost a game?

ssmmkswy5xn01.jpg

I had zero expectation of Tate Martell when he signed here. I saw nothing from his game film against Rutgers that led me to believe he was a starting QB at a power 5 school. I quietly felt that Williams was the best of the bunch and that was proven out during the season.

That said, I would absolutely love to see Tate Martell get the start in the bowl game. I think it would be a good PR move and provide an element of balance to the QB competition next spring. And I think it would sort of energize Canes fans for this useless ********* bowl game.
I see what you’re saying but I don’t think we should reward Tate for not prioritizing football. Unfortunately the young man checked out after he was designated as a 3rd string QB. I do blame the staff though. They should have never recruited him. If they felt that Jarren had potential (Manny saw him all year long) and if they felt Perry was talented enough to bounce back strong, then they should not have recruited a transfer QB unless he was on the level of Hurts (they did recruit him), Burrow or Fields. Tate confidence was already shaky. Going from 5 star QB to garbage time at OSU.

no we touted the transfer portal as this big coup by us, then proceed to implement an offense that doesnt fit our biggest transfer portal acquisition, wash, rinse, repeat at the peU

Emphasis on AT LEAST. I don't see a team on the schedule that beats UM with Martell in the gun as a starter...Somewhere along the way, people seem to have forgotten QBing is about leadership more than perfect spirals.
He has quit. Where has he exemplified being a leader? Unfortunately, his mind is not on football and that would not have changed if he was a starter.

Advertisement
I had zero expectation of Tate Martell when he signed here. I saw nothing from his game film against Rutgers that led me to believe he was a starting QB at a power 5 school. I quietly felt that Williams was the best of the bunch and that was proven out during the season.

Like being the skinniest girl at a FAT party

lol @ thinking any one player is gonna save this team. Fans keep barking up the wrong tree begging for Perry, then Tate, then Lingard, then Pope, backup OL, etc. It's quite tiresome.

I didn't realize that when Enos and Diaz kept saying that they had "packages" for Tate......that they meant UPS packages

Advertisement
lol @ thinking any one player is gonna save this team. Fans keep barking up the wrong tree begging for Perry, then Tate, then Lingard, then Pope, backup OL, etc. It's quite tiresome.
Those players could very well make the difference, if put in position to do so. The wrong tree this program keeps barking up is pro style, bro.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t think we should reward Tate for not prioritizing football. Unfortunately the young man checked out after he was designated as a 3rd string QB. I do blame the staff though. They should have never recruited him. If they felt that Jarren had potential (Manny saw him all year long) and if they felt Perry was talented enough to bounce back strong, then they should not have recruited a transfer QB unless he was on the level of Hurts (they did recruit him), Burrow or Fields. Tate confidence was already shaky. Going from 5 star QB to garbage time at OSU.

I do not share any part of your take here.

Recruiting him was absolutely the right thing to do. He was a 5 star QB recruit two years prior and we had no established QB on the roster.

I understand the frustration with Martell taking a mental health leave of absence but I see it as a point of maturity for our staff. Tate Martell's walk though life has been notably different from others. The kid was a TV celebrity throughout high school. His college career has not kept up with his existing level of celebrity and the kid seems to be struggling with it. Thats gotta be tough. What page of the patenting handbook has the lesson on how to help your kid deal with that?

Again, if he's in camp for the bowl, I'd love to see him start the bowl game and maybe get the entire first half. Then let Williams and Perry split the second half. I take the opinion that this is a bull**** bowl game what Miami should sort of "clown" with a little bit. It would be a good way for Manny to show that this bowl is below the standards of #TNM so they treated it like a fun game.

..it's the only reason many of us would be interested to watch.. or is this an 'open qb competition' only for the two kids that have definitely shown they don't have what it takes?go CANeS!!

Great idea, somebody go get him outta the safe room, let him know. But be sure and ask the girlfriend if it will be OK.

None of the teams I played on from Junior High through College would look very fondly upon a "teammate' taking time off for anything, let alone girl problems.

You think we have problems now? You put him in that Bowl game in front of others who have gutted it out all year and not seen the field much - watch what would happen then.

Great idea, somebody go get him outta the safe room, let him know. But be sure and ask the girlfriend if it will be OK.

None of the teams I played on from Junior High through College would look very fondly upon a "teammate' taking time off for anything, let alone girl problems.

You think we have problems now? You put him in that Bowl game in front of others who have gutted it out all year and not seen the field much - watch what would happen then.

I suspect the only reason some of us would bother tuning is because maybe Tate would play and we could finally see how awful our offense, and team therefore, is with him at the healm. How much worse can things really get?

Advertisement
Back