Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I actually think Urbie is the more versatile college coach than Sabag. Not that he's better when either are in their most compatible settings but that Urbie could go anywhere in the country and have an elite level of college success (before he gets "health issues") whereas I don't think Sabag necessarily could match his SEC level of success at let's say a USC or a Pedo State or even here.
It wasn’t like Sabag walked into a desert and had to grow a forest. Even though Baga had been down for some years after the Bear, they had a long history of success and plenty of “resources” at his disposal. And that’s why Sabag has been so successful - he’s taken full advantage of the available “resources” - of which he wouldn’t have had at Miami.

Advertisement
The concern about 1-2 ‘bad losses’ a season is legitimate, with a few comments:

1. The mistakes leading to these losses are correctable.
2. Mario would have a different staff here than his staff in Oregon. He bears responsibility as HC, but it’s a team sport, including coaches.

And…

3. Every HC has these losses, even Saban. His are rare, given he had won 100 consecutive games against unranked opponents until TAMU, but the point stands. He lost consecutive games to Freeze and Ole Miss. Lost to Auburn trying a 58-yard FG from a PK who has missed three earlier chip-shots, and lost another time to Auburn with another missed chip-shot FG and when his defense was caught with 12 players on a 4th-1.

Pete Carroll lost 6 games to unranked conference opponents with USC ranked in the top 5, once as a 41-point favorite at home and ranked #1.

Dabo lost twice at Syracuse and at home to Pittsburgh during his Watson-to-Lawrence run. Nearly lost at home to Syracuse a third time, and had to hold off UNC with a last play goal-line stand.

CFB fans have been Saban-ized, Bama-fied, to expect perfection, otherwise you suck. It’s bull****.

As John McKay (4X NC at USC) once said, ‘the other team has players and coaches too’.

Last edited:
HC - Mario Cristobal
OC/QB’s - Bobby Fresques
WR’s - Justin Flores
RB’s - Brandon Cuevas
TE’s - Dan Hernandez
OL’s - Alex Mirabal

DC/S’s - Ephraim Banda
LB’s - Willie Martinez
OLB’s - Austin Ybarra
CB’s - Paul Gonzales
ST’s - Peter Davila

Frank Ponce, Marcus Arroyo & James Coley were all offered the OC spot but turned it down due to contract disputes.
I almost thought you were serious.

Than I realized what I just read.

And laughed out loud.

Advertisement
Even if Mario doesn't set the world on fire here his hiring would signal to the fans and college world that the U is willing to invest in the program. We've been viewed as cheapskates for way too long.
Agreed but we really can’t afford another dud hire. Time is now to turn this **** around or we will ultimately forever be mediocre and a bottom feeder ACC team.

I almost thought you were serious.

Than I realized what I just read.

And laughed out loud.
What makes it even funnier is that if that really was our next staff our fans would ****** themselves into a coma...

If yall think the Manny Diaz slurpers were bad yall ain’t seen sh*t yet if Mario comes back to Miami lol

What makes it even funnier is that if that really was our next staff our fans would ****** themselves into a coma...

If yall think the Manny Diaz slurpers were bad yall ain’t seen sh*t yet if Mario comes back to Miami lol
LCE - What does your top 5 HC candidate wish list look like (excluding pipe dreams like Saban or Peterson coming out of retirement, etc.)?

Advertisement
HC - Mario Cristobal
OC/QB’s - Bobby Fresques
WR’s - Justin Flores
RB’s - Brandon Cuevas
TE’s - Dan Hernandez
OL’s - Alex Mirabal

DC/S’s - Ephraim Banda
LB’s - Willie Martinez
OLB’s - Austin Ybarra
CB’s - Paul Gonzales
ST’s - Peter Davila

Frank Ponce, Marcus Arroyo & James Coley were all offered the OC spot but turned it down due to contract disputes.
Jajajajajaja!!!

I don't think Mario is special, he may be above average, but like him there's 30 others. The little I saw from Oregon this year they didn't look tough, Cal was pushing them left and right, they're undiciplined (#114 in the country in Penalties) and their QBs look underwhelming every year.
I would make Nappier, Fickell, Freeze and Matt Campbell say no to me before I went the Mario route, would (try to, at least) interview Herman, Vernables, Aranda and Clawson too, but Mario is on the same boat as those for me.
But if he's the best we can do, whatever, roll the dice. Maybe he'll get better, get good assistants, hit on a QB and with a talented roster we can flourish.

I do have a HUGE problem with his price tag, if he's coming in making 6M, on top of a 9.5/6.5M buyout (heard both numbers already) that's a problem, Coach O was making that AFTER winning a title at LSU. 6M is problematic in terms of a buyout, it guarantees he'll see every year, but the last, of his contract no matter if he's MD level bad.

So a few boosters will pick the HC, not the new AD?
AD at big programs technically make the hire and fire but those cutting checks have a major influence. So yes but no, if that makes sense

I hate y'all for making me feel the slightest bit of hope.

charlie-brown-fail.gif

humor me if you will; who's on your dream staff for Mario?
Simply people that share his vision and can pull their own weight. I'm not gonna get into names as it's pointless right now and I have alot of opinions on that. First & foremost I just need dudes who can coach these kids up and get the most out of them. No more friends, just coaches.

Advertisement
The concern about 1-2 ‘bad losses’ a season is legitimate, with a few comments:

1. The mistakes leading to these losses are correctable.
2. Mario would have a different staff here than his staff in Oregon. He bears responsibility as HC, but it’s a team sport, including coaches.

And…

3. Every HC has these losses, even Saban. His are rare, given he had won 100 consecutive games against unranked opponents until TAMU, but the point stands. He lost consecutive games to Freeze and Ole Miss. Lost to Auburn trying a 58-yard FG from a PK who has missed three earlier chip-shots, and lost another time to Auburn with another missed chip-shot FG and when his defense was caught with 12 players on a 4th-1.

Pete Carroll lost 6 games to unranked conference opponents with USC ranked in the top 5, once as a 41-point favorite at home and ranked #1.

Dabo lost twice at Syracuse and at home to Pittsburgh during his Watson-to-Lawrence run. Nearly lost at home to Syracuse a third time, and had to hold off UNC with a last play goal-line stand.

CFB fans have been Saban-ized, Bama-fied, to expect perfection, otherwise you suck. It’s bull****.

As John McKay (4X NC at USC) once said, ‘the other team has players and coaches too’.
The concern isn't just bad losses. It is the consistency in which his teams are in tight games against overmatched opponents when a break here or there can decide the game. You're ripping off Dabo, Carroll and Saban's losses in games against teams they shouldn't have lost to. Now go look at the number of times this supposedly elite roster that Mario has is in tight games with the dregs of the Pac 12 deep into the 3rd and 4th quarters. Thats an issue. Why are your teams always playing down to the competition? Carroll's number of 6 is over a 9 season span. Mario has already lost 5 times to an unranked opponent while being ranked and he's in the middle of his 4th season. Two of those were when Oregon was ranked in the top 10

Don't twist the argument and make it about perfection. No one is asking for perfection. We're asking for a coach to not to play a brand of football or have a football team that makes us want to throw up because GT is driving late with a chance to win much like Cal was last week. Certainly asking for it to not be a feature of his career as opposed to a bug. You couple that with his inability to manage late situations and you got a real problem. Credit to him for beating Ohio State. Almost all of that gets washed away by losing to Stanford.

Oh and Mario has been a HC for almost 10 seasons. Whats he gonna learn at Miami in years 11-13 that are gonna fix his correctable mistakes?

Advertisement
You are clueless. You think his feelings change every single day and second? Miami is his dream job and this is where his heart is. I'm definitely not as connected as I used to be but important people know the mutual interest currently exists. However, he will not come unless his significant demands are met including monetary which we might not be able to meet.

Yeah that’s right give yourself a way out with your fake insider bullshīt. “He might not come if his demands are not met“. Give me a fūcking break

Advertisement
Back