Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
D and myself always compare him to Butch. He’ll build a good roster and will win , but will leave you scratching your head one or two times a year. I actually posted that word for word right before Stanford lol. So yes it is promising , he wins conference tiles , stays ranked , recruits like a beast and knows how to build a roster. We’d be lucky to have him. View attachment 158375
And his team will have a physical OL, and much tougher personality!

There are definitely people that would take Mario in a heartbeat, I just question whether he even wants the job.

Being totally objective, I have to question the attractiveness of this job versus remaining at Oregon, with all the financial support and logistical support you could ever want.

Ask yourself, where does Mario have the greatest shot for success, based on fundamental structural, logistical, and general program support.

I know you already know this, but if people haven’t realized it, success is, in most cases, directly correlated to funding. Bottom line. All things being equal… Of course coaching ability is paramount, but removing that as a factor, funding is the bottom line. Equal coaches, one with support, one without support, the one with support will consistently win more.

The only way we have a shot at Mario is if it becomes toxic for him in Oregon.

That’s the only way this job becomes even slightly more attractive.
Disagree that Oregon toxicity is the only way. Urban Meyer to USC would throw the worlds biggest wrench in his system.

Advertisement
I think people underestimate the ability of Miami to snow ball into a monster. We have done absolutely nothing kids can remember yet we have the #13th roster in the nation. We are surrounded by great players every year. We can pile up a roster like Bama, surpass Bama. Its simply needs a proper program thats gonna be fundamentally sound. Richt did 2 years where you can see potentially what it can be. With all due respect to Oregon, they cannot on a even staffing level build the roster we can. Which team with our horrid record for such a long time can land the #1 safety and #1 DT in the same class? We are the only team that can do it. Basic levels of competitence moves us right next to Clemson. And challenging nationwide max 3 years. If Kaaya came back, we are in the playoffs, in Richt 2nd year, 2 years after getting smashed 58-0 by Clemson at home.....Just to give u an idea if yall think im being delusional.

He lost to Cal and Washington St last year and has been in three dog fights this year against inferior teams.

It’s not just here and there

I don't give 3 fcuks if a coach is in conference "dog fights" and ends up winning the game. Winning is all that matters.

He is 30-11 at Oregon. 4-1 against top 10 teams. The data reflects that he's a pretty **** good coach now.

Would he be a perfect hire? Who would honestly. Every coach that has ever coached football or any other sport has lost to a team with "inferior" talent.

I've always hated that argument when it comes to coaches. Butch was the same and that worked out pretty well for us

Advertisement
He’s absolutely not a good gsme day coach, watch their games. He’s coordinator reliant but he can build a tesm and can bring toughness. He won’t be a national title coach

Hes still learning how to be a good gameday coach but Butch was the sameway.... key with Mario is like you said he can build this team through recruiting and he wouldn't have to go far to recruit unlike Oregon... and he will make this team tough.

I think every coach absolutely lives and dies by their coordinators

Not a mario fan but I think its the best option Miami has. No big time coach is going to come here
We don't need a big time coach. We need experience and competence. We never had a big time coach, we g9t experienced, clear eyed people who were grown and demanded respect. Howard, Jimmy Butch, made their name at Miami. But they had proper experience. Without Nepotism, Al Golden could have put himself on that category. He wasn't the worse coach on his own but No D was

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
You'd have to think Mirabal would have some kinda influence on this, right? There's no chance Mario comes without him. I wonder where he stands on all this.

We don't need a big time coach. We need experience and competence. We never had a big time coach, we g9t experienced, clear eyed people who were grown and demanded respect. Howard, Jimmy Butch, made their name at Miami. But they had proper experience. Without Nepotism, Al Golden could have put himself on that category. He wasn't the worse coach on his own but No D was
Gotta stop that. Golden was running his scheme. He believed in that defense

Advertisement
I don't give 3 fcuks if a coach is in conference "dog fights" and ends up winning the game. Winning is all that matters.

He is 30-11 at Oregon. 4-1 against top 10 teams. The data reflects that he's a pretty **** good coach now.

Would he be a perfect hire? Who would honestly. Every coach that has ever coached football or any other sport has lost to a team with "inferior" talent.

I've always hated that argument when it comes to coaches. Butch was the same and that worked out pretty well for us
Just curious, did you feel the same last year when we were dog fights against lesser talented teams or the 17 team? Eventually it proves out

I think people underestimate the ability of Miami to snow ball into a monster. We have done absolutely nothing kids can remember yet we have the #13th roster in the nation. We are surrounded by great players every year. We can pile up a roster like Bama, surpass Bama. Its simply needs a proper program thats gonna be fundamentally sound. Richt did 2 years where you can see potentially what it can be. With all due respect to Oregon, they cannot on a even staffing level build the roster we can. Which team with our horrid record for such a long time can land the #1 safety and #1 DT in the same class? We are the only team that can do it. Basic levels of competitence moves us right next to Clemson. And challenging nationwide max 3 years. If Kaaya came back, we are in the playoffs, in Richt 2nd year, 2 years after getting smashed 58-0 by Clemson at home.....Just to give u an idea if yall think im being delusional.
As the insiders for recruiting have said, kids down here don’t care. You’re better off being the out if state program than the local coach

Hes still learning how to be a good gameday coach but Butch was the sameway.... key with Mario is like you said he can build this team through recruiting and he wouldn't have to go far to recruit unlike Oregon... and he will make this team tough.

I think every coach absolutely lives and dies by their coordinators
I’d rather a guy who can take control if all goes to ****. Personally I’d prefer a Riley or lane type vs a Mario type but Mario is the best we’re gonna do so we better hope its 6 mill we’ll spent. I do think the recruiting may be a bit overblown when he’s doing it Ina. Canes polo

Advertisement
Personally, I don't think Oregon Roster is LOADED... Thibs is gone after this year.. Flowe is injury Prone... the QB room isn't that good and probably going after another transfer... IMO, Miami has a better roster.. and if he can add Stewart and Kelly to the class along with some other pieces, he will have a **** good defense adding some LB help in portal... Offensively I think we will be the most explosive in the ACC

I laugh at the "Mario loses a game or 2 a year that he shouldn't"..... Take a look around college football. There are 1 or 2 teams who get into the playoffs undefeated. At this point wouldnt almost every team in the country kill to lose 1 or 2 games a year?

We haven't been relevant in 2 decades and everyone is expecting to hire Nick Saban Jr....just get me a Kirby Smart Jr and I'll be happy for awhile...then we can talk upgrading

Gotta stop that. Golden was running his scheme. He believed in that defense
I know its Golden scheme, some coaches have gone away from their scheme, which would mean firing No D. I don't think Golden cared much about the scheme but he cared about No D. His sister was married to the guy.

As the insiders for recruiting have said, kids down here don’t care. You’re better off being the out if state program than the local coach
Of course they dont care, they grew up watching us get smashed every game. None of them remember us being squat. We will have to prove it to them.

Advertisement
Back